Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:15:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will we see SC ASIC in the wild on or before Nov 30, 2012 on your fav. timezone  (Voting closed: November 02, 2012, 03:46:49 AM)
Yes - 0 (0%)
No - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Will BFL deliver a Bitforce SC ASIC by November 30, 2012  (Read 6427 times)
goxed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 03:46:49 AM
Last edit: November 05, 2012, 11:46:05 PM by goxed

Let's see who has the last  Cheesy
- So Oct 31 was a no-go for ASIC in the wild. Majority of the voters were correct in their guess. Some best-effort promises were broken. Waiting until Nov 30.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 08:22:00 PM

I voted no. From what I've read so far, I think they're either pulling a massive scam, or if they're sincere, they're

a) way too optimistic with their timeframe... no ASICs before the new year at least, and
b) pulling the specs out of their arse... sure, ASICs would improve on FPGAs and do great damage to the GPU and FPGA miner diehards, but their quoted speeds and powers are bullshit.

That said, I fear wishful thinking on my part. I've sunk a whole load of money into a GPU farm since first hearing about bitcoin in October last year, and it's going to take a heck of a long time to recover my costs even if ASICs don't materialise (partly my rigs being continually uncooperative, partly poor buying decisions). If they do I can pack this all in. So I'd definitely much prefer that they're pie-in-the-sky and/or scammers, so I can continue to recover costs and feel smug about all those eedjits who jumped on the bandwagon.

Also I don't know if you can change the form of a poll once you've posted it, but
a) Your poll says we can only choose up to two options. Herp derp and so on.
b) You say the poll closes Nov 2. It would make more sense to close it some time before the Oct 31 deadline. How about either 30 Sept, or sometime mid-October?

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
live627

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 08:28:30 PM

Let's see who has the last  Cheesy
Wait, so I can select yes AND no? SWEET!!
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 10:00:20 PM

I voted no. From what I've read so far, I think they're either pulling a massive scam, or if they're sincere, they're

a) way too optimistic with their timeframe... no ASICs before the new year at least, and
b) pulling the specs out of their arse... sure, ASICs would improve on FPGAs and do great damage to the GPU and FPGA miner diehards, but their quoted speeds and powers are bullshit.

That said, I fear wishful thinking on my part. I've sunk a whole load of money into a GPU farm since first hearing about bitcoin in October last year, and it's going to take a heck of a long time to recover my costs even if ASICs don't materialise (partly my rigs being continually uncooperative, partly poor buying decisions). If they do I can pack this all in. So I'd definitely much prefer that they're pie-in-the-sky and/or scammers, so I can continue to recover costs and feel smug about all those eedjits who jumped on the bandwagon.

Also I don't know if you can change the form of a poll once you've posted it, but
b) You say the poll closes Nov 2. It would make more sense to close it some time before the Oct 31 deadline. How about either 30 Sept, or sometime mid-October?

Technically, the answer is 'no'. The question is, will BFL deliver before October 31st, 2012...and although their website states they will be available in October, they surely won't be in our hands until a number of months afterwards.

As for the actual specs, they'll be on target. Think about it this way...if you just paid $30,000 for a single Rig, would you like to see the promised 1TH/s (or thereabout)? Not to mention, they have venture capital backing (VCs don't mess around with shoddy products for the most part) and $600,000 in preorders/trade-ins for the Rigs (that have been posted so far), so the specifications they promised will surely be met.

Nachtwind

Activity: 700
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 10:38:23 PM

Simple: no

Might be they deliver some sort of new product - but by no chance the ASIC they claim to be developing...
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 12:29:46 AM

Might be they deliver some sort of new product - but by no chance the ASIC they claim to be developing...

I can't tell if I'm being trolled or people just don't know how businesses work...

Let's simplify it a bit:
1. Product offered
2. Product bought in large quantities
3. Product meets expectations

Does anybody know what happens if #3 isn't met?

This isn't rhetorical by the way...I'm actually curious about what people think is going to happen given the cynical views so far.

BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 06:22:46 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2012, 07:00:27 AM by BR0KK

As for the actual specs, they'll be on target. Think about it this way...if you just paid $30,000 for a single Rig, would you like to see the promised 1TH/s (or thereabout)? Not to mention, they have venture capital backing (VCs don't mess around with shoddy products for the most part) and $600,000 in preorders/trade-ins for the Rigs (that have been posted so far), so the specifications they promised will surely be met.

Just because u send a shitload of money to anyone doesn't guarantee you the product that you where offered .....

And VC's want you to sell your product even if it's unfinished or crap.... That's how funding works. They want to see some numbers adding up, before they grant you more money!

They send back their recieved under spec Units hoping for a refund that ll never see the daylight .....

Or they just mine with them, accepting that bfl cares FUD about that?

I seriously want to have one or two sc units. But I'll only order if I see an actual unit hashing!

peasant

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 06:31:13 AM

I hope not.  Cheesy
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 07:13:24 AM

Yep Venture Capitalists have a 100% success track record. Also, BFL has a history of delivering the exact $/MH and MH/W of their pre-order specifications.  Roll Eyes

Technically, the answer is 'no'. The question is, will BFL deliver before October 31st, 2012...and although their website states they will be available in October, they surely won't be in our hands until a number of months afterwards.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

peasant

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 04:20:50 PM

Either way they are swimming in cash. No one can compete with them at the moment, and they can do whatever they want. Orders will still be pouring in way faster than they can fill them. I'll wait and see how it plays out. I sure hope some real competition emerges at some point. GH/s per $ always wins at those levels, and BFL seems to understand it.
Dubitus

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 05:54:16 PM

Either way they are swimming in cash. No one can compete with them at the moment, and they can do whatever they want. Orders will still be pouring in way faster than they can fill them. I'll wait and see how it plays out. I sure hope some real competition emerges at some point. GH/s per $ always wins at those levels, and BFL seems to understand it.

Not if you order BIG bucks outta them. Then, you'll have a special treatment.
peasant

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 06:13:20 PM

That is them doing what they want.
bitarrow

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 10:17:34 PM

Not if you order BIG bucks outta them. Then, you'll have a special treatment.
i got some mini rig sc's on order and I have to wait just like everyone else. I don't see any special treatment. At least not in my case.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 10:32:09 PM

I am optimistic that we'll at least see some test units in the wild by then.
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 10:58:40 PM

i got some mini rig sc's on order and I have to wait just like everyone else. I don't see any special treatment. At least not in my case.
That's their superior treatment for highvalue customer. So that you don't feel bad Smiley

Fking

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 11:46:13 AM

and $600,000 in preorders/trade-ins for the Rigs (that have been posted so far), so the specifications they promised will surely be met.

Where is the info about the pre-orders from?
Do we have stats about actual units ordered or just the total amount of money?
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 12:50:20 PM

and $600,000 in preorders/trade-ins for the Rigs (that have been posted so far), so the specifications they promised will surely be met.

Where is the info about the pre-orders from?
Do we have stats about actual units ordered or just the total amount of money?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=89685.0

Zara

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 10:11:35 PM

"a) way too optimistic with their timeframe... no ASICs before the new year at least, and
b) pulling the specs out of their arse... sure, ASICs would improve on FPGAs and do great damage to the GPU and FPGA miner diehards, but their quoted speeds and powers are bullshit."

BFL owners are known to be optimistic, but that is the only type of person that succeeds. So far their success has been based on delivering a superior product, so it seems their optimism was warranted.
fpf

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 11:15:42 PM

Superior? Really?  Wink

The Single uses double the power of a Spartan6 based FPGA unit - at the same performance.

The price looks good... well it does at the first glance - but you need to pay 2 months in advance... so if you add those 2 months of lost mining revenue - it's actually not that "cheap" (anymore).

The Mini-rigs at least match the Spartan6 based FPGA units in terms of the consumption / performance ratio.

About the ASIC - time will show....

Phil

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 03:14:09 PM

If BFL labs ever got their delivery time down to 3 days, I might consider ordering one of their units.
They should have just made a kickstarter campaign if they were going to fund their business through pre-orders.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: