Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:32:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use a different folder with the Satoshi client?  (Read 973 times)
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 04:26:16 AM

I found I can start bitcoin qt with the -datadir= option but when I tell it to automatically start, it happily fills my home folder disk again.
(I tried ln -s ~/.bitcoin /mnt/other/disk/bitcoinFolderCopy but it did not work.)

Thanx for advice.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 04:41:31 AM

Why don't you insert the datadir option into the command that starts it automatically?
There must be a startup script somewhere that you can edit.
someguy123

Activity: 336
Merit: 254

CEO of Privex Inc. (www.privex.io)

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 04:44:52 AM

Why don't you insert the datadir option into the command that starts it automatically?
^this
Add -datadir=/mnt/other/disk/bitcoinFolderCopy to your bitcoind command. If you're on ubuntu there's a "Startup Applications" tool somewhere iirc that would let you do that easily

giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 06:06:28 AM

I have mint but still for reference: Mint-Menu -> System -> Preferences -> Startup Aplications -> Bitcoin -> Edit

But … : Funny bitcoin-qt is funny. When I open the settings and close them using the "ok" button, everything I changed via the last step is reverted. UGLY!

Should I bother providing a patch or is the pull request process so elite that it's not worth it? (My goal for the patch would be to have the checkbox "Start Bitcoin on window system startup" also toggle visible a line for additional commandline options that would be added when saving the options. Should be quite trivial.)

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
betatest512

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 10:41:36 AM

why dont you try the portable edition
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: