Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 09:30:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Circle and coinbase shuts down if coins are sent to LBC?  (Read 1833 times)
Tabata11 (OP)

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:07:05 PM

I read online that Circle and Coinbase can detect if coins are sent to LBC and will close down your account.

1) How do they know this?

2) What is the best solution to avoid this? (tumble?) (exchange through dice sites?)
Braino

Activity: 644

IRONX - Fully regulated World-Class Exchange

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:12:38 PM

I read online that Circle and Coinbase can detect if coins are sent to LBC and will close down your account.

1) How do they know this?

2) What is the best solution to avoid this? (tumble?) (exchange through dice sites?)
Do you have a source for this thing you "read online"?

▄██    ▐███████▄▄▄       ▄▄█████▄▄      ▄██▄      ▐██▄    ▒▓▓▄      ▄▓▓▒
     ███    ▐██▌▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ████▄     ▐██▌  ▐▓▄ ▀▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███   ███▌      ███▌   ██████    ▐██▌   ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▓▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐██▌    ▄████  ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███ ███▄  ▐██▌     ▀▓▓▄ ▀▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐█████████▀▀   ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███  ▀███ ▐██▌      ▓▓▓    ▓▓▓
     ███    ▐██▌   ▀███     ███▌      ███▌   ███    ██████▌   ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▓▓▄ ▓▓▓▄
     ███    ▐██▌     ███    ▀███▄▄▄▄▄████    ███     ▀████▌  ▐▓▀ ▄▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███     ▀▀██████▀▀     ███       ███▌    ▄▓▓▀      ▀▓▓▄
                  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄
           ▄▓▓▓█▀▀            ▀▀█▓▓█▄
         ▓▓▓█▀                    ▀▓▓█▄
       ▄▓▓▓▀                        ▀▓▓█
      ▄▓▓█                            █▓▓
      ▓▓▓                    ▄██▄     ▐▓▓█
     ▓▓▓                   ▄█▓▓▀       ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓                 ▄█▓▓▀          ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▄    ▓▓▓▓▀            ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄█▓▓▓▀             ▐▓▓▌
     ▀▓▓▓         ▀█▓▓█▀               █▓▓
      ▓▓▓▄                            ▓▓▓▌
       ▓▓▓█                         ▄█▓▓▀
        ▀▓▓█▄                     ▄▓▓▓█▀
          ▀▓▓▓█▄               ▄▄█▓▓█▀
            ▀▀█▓▓▓█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▓▓▓█▀
                ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▀▀
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:18:26 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2015, 10:32:48 PM by gentlemand

Blimey, I never knew that but you're right https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1905681-localbitcoins-and-coinbase

1 - bitcoins are their business and they're super twitchy about tripping up legally. If there's a way of finding out your coins are going to a business that's a risk to their 'compliance', they'll go all out to find it and they must stay well on top of tracking the relevant addresses.

2 - Dice sites would be a terrible idea. They hate that even more than localbitcoins probably. There's loads of cases of people being shut down for sending coins directly to gambling sites. Tumbling or an exchange is probably your easiest option.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:21:35 PM

I knew about the gambling sites but I didn't imagine they'd have a problem with LocalBitcoins too.

Prosperityforall

Activity: 490
Merit: 14

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:34:16 PM

Rightfully so. There are way too many scams going on in this community. The biggest bitcoin exchange was worth 10% of bitcoins marketcap for crying out loud and it ended up being a scam, and then there are the illegal security scam altcoins like Darkcoin, now Dash with fraudelent instamines and pump/dump schemes with the Developer. This whole sector is going straight to hell(Adoption wise).

If I owned coinbase and co, I would most definitely not accept any coins from known scammers addresses. Doing so reassures the public that Bitcoin is nothing but a joke and haven for theives and druggies with no consequences whatsoever for scamming/stealing.
Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:38:47 PM

Blimey, I never knew that but you're right https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1905681-localbitcoins-and-coinbase

1 - bitcoins are their business and they're super twitchy about tripping up legally. If there's a way of finding out your coins are going to a business that's a risk to their 'compliance', they'll go all out to find it and they must stay well on top of tracking the relevant addresses.

2 - Dice sites would be a terrible idea. They hate that even more than localbitcoins probably. There's loads of cases of people being shut down for sending coins directly to gambling sites. Tumbling or an exchange is probably your easiest option.

So if I buy coins at coinbase and send them to Circle and send it over to LBC, then it should be fine or should I look into tumbling all the coins.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:42:54 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2015, 10:55:09 PM by gentlemand

So if I buy coins at coinbase and send them to Circle and send it over to LBC, then it should be fine or should I look into tumbling all the coins.

I doubt it. You'd have to put a third option between either of those companies and LBC. They might work together in that aspect or not particularly like people swapping between them either. I dunno.

There are plenty of bitcoin mixers like bitmixer. There are also plenty of exchanges that are very quick to get in and out of. Either of them are practical options. What you need are places that specifically mix or pool large amounts of Bitcoin in one or very few addresses.

Rightfully so. There are way too many scams going on in this community. The biggest bitcoin exchange was worth 10% of bitcoins marketcap for crying out loud and it ended up being a scam, and then there are the illegal security scam altcoins like Darkcoin, now Dash with fraudelent instamines and pump/dump schemes with the Developer. This whole sector is going straight to hell(Adoption wise).

If I owned coinbase and co, I would most definitely not accept any coins from known scammers addresses. Doing so reassures the public that Bitcoin is nothing but a joke and haven for theives and druggies with no consequences whatsoever for scamming/stealing.

LBC is localbitcoins. Thousands of totally legit people use it every day. They're not concerned about scamming, it's about enabling unlicensed money transmitting.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1572

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 10:56:18 PM

LocalBitcoins and Coinbase

Coinbase neither prohibits nor endorses our customers’ lawful use of any third-party exchange service. Nor do we necessarily prohibit our customers’ sale of bitcoin in peer-to-peer transactions for personal, non-business use.

Coinbase customers may not, however, use their Coinbase Accounts to engage as a business in the exchange of virtual currency for fiat currency, funds, or other virtual currency...

So they do respect your right to trade on LBC... but they won't allow you to do so.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 10:58:45 PM

Coinbase neither prohibits nor endorses our customers’ lawful use of any third-party exchange service. Nor do we necessarily prohibit our customers’ sale of bitcoin in peer-to-peer transactions for personal, non-business use.

Coinbase customers may not, however, use their Coinbase Accounts to engage as a business in the exchange of virtual currency for fiat currency, funds, or other virtual currency...

So they do respect your right to trade on LBC... but they won't allow you to do so.

I guess it's volumes that trip it. However there's absolutely no way of knowing how much is too much in their eyes.
Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 11:16:05 PM

I guess it's volumes that trip it. However there's absolutely no way of knowing how much is too much in their eyes.

So what if I purchase $2,000 worth of BTC every week on the same day to look like I am purchasing it with my paycheck every week?
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 11:35:15 PM

So what if I purchase $2,000 worth of BTC every week on the same day to look like I am purchasing it with my paycheck every week?

I'm not sure what their buying limits are and if and when they get arsey if you're pulling out large amounts like clockwork. The key is whether they find out where it's going. They might put in extra effort if they think you're selling it on.

Is their exchange accessible in your state? I doubt the same rules apply as the buying service but I'm not sure.

You do have other options if you're buying big in the US. Secondmarket sell in 25 BTC increments but that might be too much for you.
Reynaldo
Legendary

Activity: 1143

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 11:39:39 PM

It shouldnt be too hard to just simply send your coins to another address and then send them to circle.
It's good to know this, I've never used lbc and this coulda get my account closed :O (on circle.com), did not even know that they forbid gambling addresses. Is there any list to the gambling sites that they dont allow you to use directly?

I've been buying 500$ weekly and never had an issue.
waterpile

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 11:47:08 PM

Well they can just use a mixing service to hide where the coins came from.
Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 11:54:11 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2015, 12:15:08 AM by Tabata11

I don't understand how they can track your coins to LBC wallets when addresses on LBC are changed and randomized every so often...

Here are two reddit users who had their accounts closed because coinbase and circle somehow "linked" them with selling coins on LBC.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2y58x6/coinbase_and_circle_closed_my_account_i_think_due/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2c63xg/coinbase_is_suspending_my_account_because_they/
ajw7989
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 12:12:34 AM

I have sent coins all over including dice sites and localbitcoins with no problems. I never sent thousands at one shot but I did send a $100-$200 here and there. I do know they will ban you if they figure out your sending it to the dark market sites though.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 03:17:20 AM

Judging by this, there is already some sort of bitcoin addresses "blacklist" that is monitored ? Seams pretty funny, since you can always find a way around,
just deposite here and there , and resend to LCB or where ever you want.. what are they even trying to achieve with this rule is beyond me.

What makes LCB so dark that they would consider it "unlicensed money transmitting" and why not legaly attack LCB itself ? (i dont mean coinbase and circle, but the law behind thats making them do what they do)

cheers
bigassboy

Activity: 373
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 07:30:53 AM

What makes LCB so dark that they would consider it "unlicensed money transmitting" and why not legaly attack LCB itself ? (i dont mean coinbase and circle, but the law behind thats making them do what they do)

I am guessing it is a way to avoid taxes if you trade so much out through it.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 07:59:04 AM

Judging by this, there is already some sort of bitcoin addresses "blacklist" that is monitored ? Seams pretty funny, since you can always find a way around,
just deposite here and there , and resend to LCB or where ever you want.. what are they even trying to achieve with this rule is beyond me.

cheers

Exactly this. The best way to get around it would be a local wallet, as it would have no ties to anything. You could even create a new wallet every time if you wanted to, to avoid backups. Besides, any company that thinks blocking addresses is a legit way to treat their customers should be avoided in general. This is directly against the fungibility of bitcoin, which is one of its essential properties.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 08:27:28 AM

I want to know how would they know exactly? If I purchase some Bitcoins at coinbase and then do this:

Transfer them to My-Wallet >Mixing-Service >My-other-Wallet >LBC

How can they track this? This is really stupid.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 08:37:30 AM

I want to know how would they know exactly? If I purchase some Bitcoins at coinbase and then do this:

Transfer them to My-Wallet >Mixing-Service >My-other-Wallet >LBC

How can they track this? This is really stupid.

They can't if you mix your coins properly.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: