Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:37:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethicality of 100Gh/sec.....  (Read 2405 times)
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:27:25 PM

The cards run hot though. Im concerned that Ill break something and have to pay for it so I guess ill give this one a slip. :/

You should be concerned, as that's a very likely scenario. Even if you are experienced with safely configuring GPU mining machines, you don't know how robust the electrical service is for the lab. Don't assume they designed it for handling a several hundred percent increase in average power draw for hours on end.

GPU mining won't even make you that much any more. Even completely disregarding the ethical problems, the risk is too high for the return.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:35:11 PM

The cards run hot though. Im concerned that Ill break something and have to pay for it so I guess ill give this one a slip. :/

You should be concerned, as that's a very likely scenario. Even if you are experienced with safely configuring GPU mining machines, you don't know how robust the electrical service is for the lab. Don't assume they designed it for handling a several hundred percent increase in average power draw for hours on end.

GPU mining won't even make you that much any more. Even completely disregarding the ethical problems, the risk is too high for the return.
+1

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
BitBlitz

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 07:48:32 PM

Do it!  Just save any income for a defense lawyer...

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
Aabel

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 11:14:20 PM

Just don't get busted, then everything is okay.  Tongue
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2012, 11:47:52 PM

...this is another reason why schools only use old technology.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
OswaldZeid

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:07:51 AM

Wasn't there a news story about some guy who got caught running a miner on his company's server farm a couple months ago? He got in pretty big trouble as soon as they realized what was going on - this seems like the sort of thing you could get away with on a small scale, but eventually someone would catch on - and the last thing you need is to get kicked out of school halfway after spending thousands on an education. Just not worth it.
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:14:55 AM

just do it and give a shit

its only some small time you have access.

use it.

when they eventually drop you, you are at least the smart guy who earned more than the faggot school cost your daddy
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:49:53 AM

Oh hey, I also forgot how all the computer "labs" would turn into industrial sized office heating rooms!

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
existenz55

Activity: 57

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:59:04 AM

I am doing it at my work. Getting only 2625 Mhash/s from 33 working computers. Its not much, but nothing else to do Smiley.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2012, 04:07:06 AM

You should ask them first otherwise its theft.

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 04:33:04 AM

Hi folks, posting this here because I dont have rights to post in other sections yet.

Basically, I am a university student and I noticed that at our university all of the design labs remain powered on and open during nighttime/weekends. Ive done the math and I've come to the conclusion that I can get around 100Gh/sec should I utilize all of the pcs in our one lab from 10pm till 6am (When they are empty)

Last night I had cgminer running on 10 of the pcs there and got to about 5gh/sec and this morning at around 6am I went to shut them all down just in time before class starts.

I obviously have permission to *use* the pcs as I am a student at the university, but do you guys think its wrong of me to make use of these powerful design pcs even though they are usually on straight throughout the month including weekends in the afterhours? Am I costing the university a lot of money doing this?

At the moment im doing pooled mining @ deepbit.net.

It's certainly gray area. However it will not get unnoticed. So you better have a good excuse for why you're running on all those computers. In principle you could disguise your activity within custom software so it would look like a science project. But be aware that this then is criminal intent and fraud the least. Universities support science not profit. If somebody finds out you're exiled.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Oinsane1

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 05:43:11 AM

the only way you will ever get them to approve the use is i you are a researcher at school of engineering and you can get grant/project approved
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: