Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you trust CoinBase.com ?
Yes - 76 (43.7%)
No - 98 (56.3%)
Total Voters: 174

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of CoinBase  (Read 12484 times)
hZti

Activity: 952
Merit: 642

Magic

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 10:47:10 PM

Everybody can track Bitcoin transactions thats the whole point of it, if you don't want them to use a Bitcoin Mixer or a Dark/Privatecoin. Also there isn't really a point in using them if you want privacy because it is not very complicate to use an normal wallet and they offer a very good FREE service for every other person who is just a casual user.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Icanseemychains

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 12:41:06 AM

CoinBase deserves credit for helping Bitcoin grow stronger in the "real-world".

That sure was some compelling, factual evidence you added with your opinion.  What exactly did they do? Become another financial regulation arm for the government? But I thought it wasn't a currency?
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 12:45:32 AM

So this is the price users have to pay for using their "regulated" exchange/wallet? Welcome to the "paypal" of bitcoin Smiley

CoinBase deserves credit for helping Bitcoin grow stronger in the "real-world". They have the right to decide how to deal with regulations and users have the right to use them or look for other options.

This. While regulation isn't something most of us like, the fact is that it's not something we're going to escape. Coinbase is doing what they need to survive long-term, rather than "punish" the government by ignoring them, only to crash and burn (along with prison time and complete loss of customer funds). I'd much rather be able to use them and know it's safe than to use them and wonder when the government's going to shut it down and take all my coins.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
btcton
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 05:22:16 AM

So this is the price users have to pay for using their "regulated" exchange/wallet? Welcome to the "paypal" of bitcoin Smiley

CoinBase deserves credit for helping Bitcoin grow stronger in the "real-world". They have the right to decide how to deal with regulations and users have the right to use them or look for other options.

This. While regulation isn't something most of us like, the fact is that it's not something we're going to escape. Coinbase is doing what they need to survive long-term, rather than "punish" the government by ignoring them, only to crash and burn (along with prison time and complete loss of customer funds). I'd much rather be able to use them and know it's safe than to use them and wonder when the government's going to shut it down and take all my coins.

Something that follows regulations is also more attractive to the outside world as it sounds "government-approved" and legit. This contrasts quite a bit with other sites like blockchain or btc-e which are an overload to the average consumer.

The signature campaign posters adding useless redundant fluff to their posts to reach their minimum word count are lowering my IQ.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 06:45:08 AM

I have a degree of 'trust' in Coinbase insofar as I don't think they will rip me off.  That mostly because I could at least make a credible stab at suing their asses off and they have deep-ish pockets complements of various angel investors and such.

Anyone who has been paying attention and who is modestly knowledgeable about things should have no surprises that they have their entire heads completely within the sphincter of the Feds.  It is entirely expected and I don't hold it against them at all.  In some ways it is actually why I chose to use them.

I predicted many times that the business model Coinbase is going for is to spy on schools of minnows and sell out to a bank or tech giant at the most opportune time.  Larger early-ish adopter types are a distinct liability for this reasons.  I've not done a transaction through them for a year, but even back then they were getting antsy.  And I'm hardly a big fish compared to genuine early adopters I don't imagine.  When they interrogated me I offered that they should have the technical prowess to validate that my BTC came from Tradehill.  That seemed to have gotten them off my back but I expect I'll be shut down if/when I do any more activity of any consequence.  I think I remember Greg Maxwell himself mentioning that they shut him down.  Amazing.  Probably one would have to be a big investor in their company to do any volume through them at this point.

If you're going to go through the same miserable process you deal with using fiat then explain to me why I should use Bitcoin? People should reward exchanges and businesses like BTCe that provide good service and are beholding to no one and shun businesses that act like a branch of the government like Coinbase. Perhaps Bitcoin shouldn't be used by people in the American nanny state. Maybe a new coin for them called Americoin. They can build it with blacklisting, tracking, Americoin gps locator apps from a certified App Store, direct reporting of your daily expenditures to the IRS, coins that vaporize if you use them at an unapproved business, etc.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 06:48:23 AM

I have a degree of 'trust' in Coinbase insofar as I don't think they will rip me off.  That mostly because I could at least make a credible stab at suing their asses off and they have deep-ish pockets complements of various angel investors and such.

Anyone who has been paying attention and who is modestly knowledgeable about things should have no surprises that they have their entire heads completely within the sphincter of the Feds.  It is entirely expected and I don't hold it against them at all.  In some ways it is actually why I chose to use them.

I predicted many times that the business model Coinbase is going for is to spy on schools of minnows and sell out to a bank or tech giant at the most opportune time.  Larger early-ish adopter types are a distinct liability for this reasons.  I've not done a transaction through them for a year, but even back then they were getting antsy.  And I'm hardly a big fish compared to genuine early adopters I don't imagine.  When they interrogated me I offered that they should have the technical prowess to validate that my BTC came from Tradehill.  That seemed to have gotten them off my back but I expect I'll be shut down if/when I do any more activity of any consequence.  I think I remember Greg Maxwell himself mentioning that they shut him down.  Amazing.  Probably one would have to be a big investor in their company to do any volume through them at this point.

If you're going to go through the same miserable process you deal with using fiat then explain to me why I should use Bitcoin? People should reward exchanges and businesses like BTCe that provide good service and are beholding to no one and shun businesses that act like a branch of the government like Coinbase. Perhaps Bitcoin shouldn't be used by people in the American nanny state. Maybe a new coin for them called Americoin. They can build it with blacklisting, tracking, Americoin gps locator apps from a certified App Store, direct reporting of your daily expenditures to the IRS, coins that vaporize if you use them at an unapproved business, etc.

Why use Bitcoin instead? Instant, irreversible transfers. The anonymity has nothing to do with it for me. It's the ability to pay people without losing huge chunks due to fees. Send $10 in PayPal? That's like $1 in fees. Same in Bitcoin? Two cents. Sending $100 in PayPal? That's $5.30 or so in fees. Bitcoin? Still two cents.

Someone pays me in PayPal? They get pissed off down the road and do a chargeback. Someone pays me in Bitcoin? It's mine.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 07:11:17 AM

I have a degree of 'trust' in Coinbase insofar as I don't think they will rip me off.  That mostly because I could at least make a credible stab at suing their asses off and they have deep-ish pockets complements of various angel investors and such.

Anyone who has been paying attention and who is modestly knowledgeable about things should have no surprises that they have their entire heads completely within the sphincter of the Feds.  It is entirely expected and I don't hold it against them at all.  In some ways it is actually why I chose to use them.

I predicted many times that the business model Coinbase is going for is to spy on schools of minnows and sell out to a bank or tech giant at the most opportune time.  Larger early-ish adopter types are a distinct liability for this reasons.  I've not done a transaction through them for a year, but even back then they were getting antsy.  And I'm hardly a big fish compared to genuine early adopters I don't imagine.  When they interrogated me I offered that they should have the technical prowess to validate that my BTC came from Tradehill.  That seemed to have gotten them off my back but I expect I'll be shut down if/when I do any more activity of any consequence.  I think I remember Greg Maxwell himself mentioning that they shut him down.  Amazing.  Probably one would have to be a big investor in their company to do any volume through them at this point.

Why use Bitcoin instead? Instant, irreversible transfers. The anonymity has nothing to do with it for me. It's the ability to pay people without losing huge chunks due to fees. Send $10 in PayPal? That's like $1 in fees. Same in Bitcoin? Two cents. Sending $100 in PayPal? That's $5.30 or so in fees. Bitcoin? Still two cents.

Someone pays me in PayPal? They get pissed off down the road and do a chargeback. Someone pays me in Bitcoin? It's mine.

You should try Amazon Payments then. It's totally free to send money and easier to use than Bitcoin. I've always wondered why so many people use PayPal when there's free services available. Maybe it's for convenience or the fraud protection or something.

If you have a family member or friend that you send money to or get money from regularly then both of you open accounts at the same bank. I send my daughter money all the time by transferring it from my account to hers and she lives across the country and the transfer is totally free.

Bitcoin is all about the non-traceable transfer of value between individuals. Everything else can be done another way.

RaginglikeaBoss

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

Never before 11 P.M.

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2015, 07:18:39 AM

CoinBase is legit by most U.S. members, including myself.  It's the pre-Summer pump on schedule as usual.

it is legitimate, but the issue here is that coinbase is tracking how users spend their funds, which completely contradicts the relatively anonymous part of using bitcoin.

I guessed I misread the OP...  If you think bitcoin is even "pseudoninonimous," then you found the only thinking retard I've managed to spot.

Johny Depp

Activity: 211
Merit: 125

busting the bastards

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 06:35:44 PM

More in the saga...

Come on. We are not investigating transactions really far away from the source. You sent bitcoin directly to an address known to be selling fake IDs.

^^Quote by http://www.reddit.com/user/CoinbaseAdrian

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/39xhjq/coinbaseadrian_you_sent_bitcoin_directly_to_an/

Exposing frauds since 2014
MF Doom

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 06:46:42 PM

Sadly, it may be their only option.  When they get millions upon millions in investor capital, they will be forced to become just like the other payment companies
runpaint

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 08:34:35 PM

Coinbase is the easiest option I found for buying bitcoins with U.S. dollars.  I didn't want to give Cryptsy a video of myself holding my photo I.D. next to my face, so I jumped through Coinbase's different set of hoops.  Once it's all finally set up, it's easy and fast to buy bitcoins with Coinbase.

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
MF Doom

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 08:41:32 PM

Coinbase is the easiest option I found for buying bitcoins with U.S. dollars.  I didn't want to give Cryptsy a video of myself holding my photo I.D. next to my face, so I jumped through Coinbase's different set of hoops.  Once it's all finally set up, it's easy and fast to buy bitcoins with Coinbase.
Yes, it is currently, but I think most people are worried about becoming TOO big.  Kind of like PayPal is now, with their mountainous "terms & conditions" that override common sense whenever there is a payment dispute...and their ever growing fees

I do think coinbase has the best shot of bringing btc to mainstream use though
SpanishSoldier (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 06:18:56 PM

Coinbase is the easiest option I found for buying bitcoins with U.S. dollars.  I didn't want to give Cryptsy a video of myself holding my photo I.D. next to my face, so I jumped through Coinbase's different set of hoops.  Once it's all finally set up, it's easy and fast to buy bitcoins with Coinbase.

Is it even better than Circle ? AFAIK Circle is allowing credit cards for US customers to buy bitcoin.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 06:48:05 PM

I just recently signed up with Coinbase and have had no issues so far. I have only made purchases and have not tried withdrawing, so can't comment on that side yet.

My only gripe is the bank transfer delay to get funds in (I assume delay in getting them out as well) and the fact you need to buy at the current price. It would be nice to be able to place orders on where you wanted to buy in at.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 06:49:53 PM

If you're going to go through the same miserable process you deal with using fiat then explain to me why I should use Bitcoin? ...

Speaking for myself, multiplying my initial outlay by 100 times had something to do with it Smiley

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 07:02:18 PM

If you're going to go through the same miserable process you deal with using fiat then explain to me why I should use Bitcoin? ...

Speaking for myself, multiplying my initial outlay by 100 times had something to do with it Smiley

Mine's nothing to do with the verification process -- it's how the funds are sent. To me, it's like using PayPal over ACH -- both require verification of some sort, but PayPal is just faster and easier. Bitcoin is the same way: once verified, paying and receiving payments is a snap, and it's extremely secure.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 08:04:15 PM

I just recently signed up with Coinbase and have had no issues so far. I have only made purchases and have not tried withdrawing, so can't comment on that side yet.

My only gripe is the bank transfer delay to get funds in (I assume delay in getting them out as well) and the fact you need to buy at the current price. It would be nice to be able to place orders on where you wanted to buy in at.

The reason for the delay is the U.S. banking system and not Coinbase. Coinbase cannot give you the bitcoins until it knows that it will receive your money. The U.S. banking system takes days to transfer money

If you want to buy or sell bitcoins at a price other than the current price, you can use the Coinbase exchange and place a limit order. https://exchange.coinbase.com/

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2015, 10:45:31 PM

I made quite a bit of coin but I burned up quite a few hd5970s and motherboards in the process. At $7-800 a pop, I need that $1,000 price back to really be happy and then it wouldn't be near to 100x (10x maybe). That's good for us but what about the poor schmucks that are just getting into it now?

fatguyyyyy

Activity: 406

Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2015, 12:32:50 AM

coinbase is a total scam .. localbitcoins is legit!

josephno1

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Get Free Mobile Data http://get.kickbit.com/1/oexq

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 12:41:36 AM

At least coinbase made it clear that they track you. In addition they also dox you before you use their service (by encouraging users to scan their passports). I mean if you don't want to use coinbase, there are hundreds of alternatives out there that are way more anonymous

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: