Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:57:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tangible Cryptography will not reveal information about our clients.  (Read 3274 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 07:46:52 PM

I don't think that lack of definition will remain forever though.  As Bitcoin gets larger it will be increasingly difficult for governments to simply pretend it away.  Governments around the world will define Bitcoin because that is the first step in regulating it.

This will be incredibly difficult to do because it will be like regulating air guitars. Any statute trying to define a 'bitcoin' would easily void for vagueness and rule of lenity. I would hate to be a prosecuting attorney because any statute crafted would look like swiss cheese with holes large enough for the other advocate to drive an 18 wheeler through.

Well that is certainly your opinion and if true then no Bitcoin related business will ever be regulated.  I however don't share that optimism.  It may be a while but governments will attempt to at least control the edges of the Bitcoin economy (brokers, exchanges, major merchants accepting Bitcoins, etc). The air guitar concept could apply to a lot of intangible things (insurance, gambling, investments, money transfer, etc) and the lack of tangibility hasn't stopped governments from regulating and controlling. That is what governments do.  They control.  That is all they do.  They always seek to control.  You can't do that without definition.  Still I hope I am wrong and will be pleasantly surprised if I am but I seriously doubt I am.

I would point out even your link seems to express the same idea
Of course, this will adjust over time as more and more bitcoin value can remain in the bitcoin ecosystem for necessary daily transactions. But in the meantime, regulation is increasingly possible in this area due to exchanges requiring a certain degree of jurisdictional presence and centralization. As with buying and selling air guitars on eBay, regulators can exert influence because there is a centralized point of exchange. It matters not what is being exchanged.

Entities like Tangible Cryptography which interface between the Bitcoin world and traditional fiat currency world will probably be subject to more regulation in the future.  It is what governments do. 
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 12:51:22 AM

Entities like Tangible Cryptography which interface between the Bitcoin world and traditional fiat currency world will probably be subject to more regulation in the future.  It is what governments do. 

Yes, this is true.

This is why we all need to work together. Tangible, BitInstant, AurumXChange, ect.

We are all in the same boat.

Like Gerald said, I'd rather a bigger pie then fight over slices in the current one.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: