Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:42:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: avoid bitcoinary?  (Read 1464 times)
wub (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 05:21:31 PM

I wanted to buy btc for paypal, so I joined bitcoinary. My very first attempt resulted in me being scammed. Could be just bad luck, but I have not had much response from bitcoinary, who do not answer emails, and also don't seem to have any sort of escrow system that could be used to prevent some of the scams.

Scammer details: user Xeser, email trakey@gmail.com, paypal name Christy Brunsell.
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 07:38:36 PM

Sorry to hear this, I think the inclusion of a reputation  system is needed.

I am sure you will receive the money back from paypal. in the mean time check out #bitcoin-otc for in person trading on IRC or stick with the exchanges or intermediaries.

starsoccer9
Legendary

Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 07:53:37 PM

He is 100% right.I am now done with bitcoinary. I knew he was a scammer and contacted the owner to warn him. He scammed me in IRC and other people aswell. I told the owner he was and I would give any proof he needed so instead he did nothing and lost 2 users. hope your proud
wub (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 08:03:53 PM

Sorry to hear this, I think the inclusion of a reputation  system is needed.

I am sure you will receive the money back from paypal. in the mean time check out #bitcoin-otc for in person trading on IRC or stick with the exchanges or intermediaries.

Unfortunately I messed up by sending the paypal payment as a gift, at the scammer's request, so I won't be able to get it back.

So I am probably at some fault for being gullible, but I am surprised by the uncaring attitude of bitcoinary. They may not be able to do anything for me, but they can't be bothered to reply to emails or get rid of the user. Not the sort of thing which helps build a reputable website of any sort.
starsoccer9
Legendary

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 08:42:10 PM

no it doesnt. I contacted them probally 24hours before i responded. and now he has scammed someone. If you want any of his info pm me and I can give you it.

also watch out for the user called trakey
wub (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 10:29:51 PM

also watch out for the user called trakey

You mean Trake? yes it looks like the same person I think.
holtdaddy

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 09:33:11 PM

starsoccer9 could you pm me his info,thanks in advance.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 10:59:24 PM

Unfortunately I messed up by sending the paypal payment as a gift, at the scammer's request, so I won't be able to get it back.

Gift payments can be happily chargebacked, that's why no one use paypal for selling bitcoins.

existenz55

Activity: 57

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 12:03:52 AM

I have sold some BTC to Bitcoin Nordic. So far so good no charge back).  Will tell you if more transaction gose well whit them.
jonnyfunfun

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 12:28:18 AM

I've traded a couple times with PayPal.  Luckily, I've never had a problem doing so.  I try to avoid PayPal like the plague partly because I can't stand their business practices.  But, if I have to use it, I'll typically work with small amounts when using PayPal to mitigate the damage done.

With that being said, if you're looking to trade, I'd check out #bitcoin-otc on Freenode (or bitcoin-otc.com).  They've got a nice WOT system set up there and the people are generally pretty friendly and helpful.
james.w

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 04:59:33 PM

I was scammed by Trake too.

trakey@gmail.com, paypal name Christy Brunsell
wub (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 09:46:32 PM

Gift payments can be happily chargebacked, that's why no one use paypal for selling bitcoins.

We must be seeing different things on paypal somehow, I got the message that I could not cancel the payment, forget the exact words, but it basically said no chance.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 10:09:50 PM

Yes but if someone buy bitcoins with paypal using the "gift" option and later tell paypal that his account was hacked, the transaction will be chargebacked. That's why almost no one sell bitcoins for paypal

wub (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 08:22:15 PM

I have had a response from bitcoinary:

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience and I am thinking of ways to change the
site so that this doesn't happen anymore.

Ian Purton
Founder Bitcoinary.com | +44 7807815663 | @bitcoinary
URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 08:36:13 PM
Last edit: August 27, 2012, 08:17:35 PM by URSAY

In all fairness to the site I think the original idea was that the users would be able to police themselves thru feedback while the webmaster could focus on other things.

I sent Bitcoinary an email regarding question behavior from user ZYK and received a response.  I don't think the site owner is trying to hide from all this...maybe just busy trying to figure out how to evolve the site from here and fix the overall issue.
starsoccer9
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 11:14:47 AM

well to start you should be able to rate anyone and message anyone. so when I see trake make an account next time i can auto down rate him.

I have sent him many emails about suggestions and scammers and never get a response back
wub (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 11:40:04 AM

well to start you should be able to rate anyone and message anyone. so when I see trake make an account next time i can auto down rate him.

I have sent him many emails about suggestions and scammers and never get a response back

Yes, anyone who sends an email to a site like this should get a response within a few hours, or they will assume it's run by incompetants or scammers.
holtdaddy

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 06:56:00 PM

i was also scammed by Trake last week on bitcoinary,never sent my 10 coins!!!
bary0n

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 05:26:48 PM

I was scammed by user Meddy. He replied quickly until I sent my BTC. Now I've heard nothing for 18 hours. He appears to have phony positive feedback, too.

Do not trust this site.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: