Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:33:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any recourse?  (Read 1353 times)
Safeless (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 02:32:21 AM
Last edit: April 13, 2015, 03:04:14 AM by Safeless

I have a fairly small amount of cryptocurrency, but it is a large percentage of my total assets. I had put all of my encrypted wallets on disks and drives and put them in a safe deposit box. The last time I went to the box it was clear before I even finished opening the interior box that someone had been in it.

I never got any notice from the bank nor anyone else that some search had been conducted. I do have a minor history of saying the same things to police that they have said to me. This has resulted in a ridiculous amount of stalking behavior by police, but this with the safe deposit box is more serious.

One hard drive worth more than $100 was broken. I now have to go through the process of cleaning out the wallets and sending the balances to new ones. This will cost a lot of time and effort.

Do I have any recourse? I am in the United States and understand that provisions of new security laws allow such things, but this seems quite ridiculous. I cannot afford a lawyer. Is there any reasonable option?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Honeybooboo

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 12:16:21 PM

Um... don't they have to get a warrant for that sort of stuff and doesn't it have to be served to you? Have you contacted the safe deposit company maybe they've got some unruly employees who are going rogue or maybe they can give you some answers as to what happened. If something is broken then you definitely should be entitled to some compensation or answers from someone.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 01:26:31 PM

Someone might of just claimed to be you.  The security at banks is .. no existant for saftey deposit boxes they don't give a damn.
Safeless (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 05:34:17 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2015, 05:54:24 PM by Safeless

1. Recognize Great Empire of Earth.

2. Review the G.E. Code.

3. Have your U.S. sub-state (there, police forces are maintained by “the states”) tried, in a criminal proceeding, for the imperial offence “Disturbance of the Proper Order.”

4. Have unfavorable rulings appealed (to international courts if necessary).

Actually, tech has reached a point where individuals can wield more power than organized militaries, so there is no reason to submit even to a benevolent despot. My post was meant more as a courtesy, a warning.

Um... don't they have to get a warrant for that sort of stuff and doesn't it have to be served to you? Have you contacted the safe deposit company maybe they've got some unruly employees who are going rogue or maybe they can give you some answers as to what happened. If something is broken then you definitely should be entitled to some compensation or answers from someone.

Several years ago, if you googled "secret sections of the patriot act" you would find a wealth of information. Today nothing. Unfortunately, in the United States now there are secret courts dealing with supposed security issues that are authorized to do all manner of things.

Someone might of just claimed to be you.  The security at banks is .. no existant for saftey deposit boxes they don't give a damn.

There are only two keys issued and I have both. There are no co authorized parties on the box. My signature could not be easily forged in this case, for reasons, and a person is required to sign in to open a safe deposit box. A record is supposed to be kept of all access times.  Security is actually adequate on the bank side but they have little choice but to submit when clowns with badges threaten them.

I am engaged in no illegal activities and have nothing illegal and the people involved know that. The harassment is because, as I mentioned earlier, I have said to them the same kinds of things they have said to me, i. e., threats. The difference is they attacked me after they threatened me. There is no question that this was not done by any individual in a bank. It was done by incompetent arrogant predators with badges.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 06:13:04 PM

I dunno they have never really checked my signature.  If someone got my key they could easily take anything in my box.  HOWEVER they would need the key if you have both.. hum..

I have my BTC stored on CD's all around.

The only thing that sucks with that is.. I have to keep a revision number LMAO so I know if a CD doesn't have a wallet I created.

Not sure what to do without any $ the "first" world nations are really only good for people with a lot of $ else they are pretty meh.
Safeless (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 06:36:58 PM

Actually, tech[nology] has reached a point where individuals can wield more power than organized militaries, so there is no reason to submit[—]even to a benevolent despot.
(Red colorization mine.)

Earth (i.e., Great Empire of Earth) is an imperial anarchist despotism: its law code is not “publicly” enforced (here, enforced by the G.E. government) but “privately” enforced (here, enforced by licensees thereof).

Sounds like 'you' play the same game as 'them', but maybe with fairer ethics. Still, it's not for me. As far as I'm concerned there is natural law, and then there are pretenders, like government wonkmeisters. My money is on the right horse.
username18333

Activity: 378

Knowledge could but approximate existence.

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 01:47:02 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2015, 03:41:51 AM by username18333

As far as I'm concerned there is natural law, and then there are pretenders, like government wonkmeisters.

“[N]atural law” (Safeless) is a synonym for hysterical ochlocracy (i.e., ochlocracy).

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
MegaFall

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 01:52:01 AM

Um... don't they have to get a warrant for that sort of stuff and doesn't it have to be served to you?

Nope... Not anymore. Anything left with the bank is considered their property until you retrieve it. The bank can give access to the box at any time to any one claiming to be a "law enforcement" agent or a federal agent. Normally they don't even need to provide identification that they are an agent. The bank nor the agent do not need your express permission to open it.

Rule of Story: DON'T USE DEPOSIT BOXES.

Same is true for storage lockers.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 04:31:33 AM

Um... don't they have to get a warrant for that sort of stuff and doesn't it have to be served to you?

Nope... Not anymore. Anything left with the bank is considered their property until you retrieve it. The bank can give access to the box at any time to any one claiming to be a "law enforcement" agent or a federal agent. Normally they don't even need to provide identification that they are an agent. The bank nor the agent do not need your express permission to open it.

Wow I never realized that deposit boxes were that insecure and open to abuse. Guess you gotta find another more secure place to store stuff. Perhaps encrypted on the cloud somewhere.
Safeless (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 04:56:36 PM

As far as I'm concerned there is natural law, and then there are pretenders, like government wonkmeisters.

“[N]atural law” (Safeless) is a synonym for hysterical ochlocracy (i.e., ochlocracy).

Natural law adapts to its subjects.

A fly can be eaten by a lizard and later the flies descendants will return the favor.

In practical terms though I just mean that the gangster scum who hide in government mobs and terrorize the vulnerable are at the end of their usefulness to nature. A puff of wind and they dissolve. They are losing their power.
Safeless (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 05:02:51 PM

Wow I never realized that deposit boxes were that insecure and open to abuse. Guess you gotta find another more secure place to store stuff. Perhaps encrypted on the cloud somewhere.

Of course cops who raid safety boxes have to provide some identification to prove they are part of the right gang. The only thing that has changed in recent years is that now the bank officers can be obliged to keep the violation secret. The mafia has taken over.

As to the cloud, sure that's an option if you have a good encryption program.
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 05:07:53 PM

The security of safe deposit boxes is a lot more than non existent; banks stake their reputations on providing that security.

You generally need to prove who you are (ie that you are authorized to even enter the room with the deposit boxes) and have a key to gain entrance to your box; if you lose the key, the bank doesn't just have another to provide you - they need to drill out the lock. They're pretty rigid on that. If you're not the box holder, then you better be the named executor or trustee of the person whose box it was.

For that reason I disbelieve that authorities would be interested in OPs small amount of Bitcoin, and if they were, it would be readily apparent that they'ed been there, as your lock would either be drilled out or yourbkey wouldn't work.
Safeless (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 06:19:36 PM

The security of safe deposit boxes is a lot more than non existent; banks stake their reputations on providing that security.

You generally need to prove who you are (ie that you are authorized to even enter the room with the deposit boxes) and have a key to gain entrance to your box; if you lose the key, the bank doesn't just have another to provide you - they need to drill out the lock. They're pretty rigid on that. If you're not the box holder, then you better be the named executor or trustee of the person whose box it was.

For that reason I disbelieve that authorities would be interested in OPs small amount of Bitcoin, and if they were, it would be readily apparent that they'ed been there, as your lock would either be drilled out or yourbkey wouldn't work.

The part about drilling out the lock is recited every time a person rents a safe deposit box but it is silly. Safe deposit locks are far simpler than auto ignition locks and can be picked in a few seconds by an amateur. The security is in the fact that amateurs do not have easy access to the vault.

There is no doubt that some one was in the safe deposit box between the time I closed it and the next time I accessed it. There is no doubt. I'm emphasizing that. There is no doubt.

One hard drive that was stored there worked fine when I put it there. When I retrieved it, it no longer worked. It is possibly a coincidence. Maybe it broke from some other cause. But it is unlikely.

Of course law enforcers making 100k plus per year do not steal small amounts of altcoin to supplement their income. No argument there.

But in the United States, harassing and intimidating people who don't show respect for 'law enforcers' is the norm now. At every level, but most notably at the federal level, that has become the signature of 'law enforcement'.
Safeless (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 06:32:38 PM

A fly can be eaten by a lizard and later the flies descendants will return the favor.

In which case, the rule of a more pervasive unconsciousness supplanted that of a less pervasive other.

I don't understand exactly your point. A lizard eats a fly. When the lizard dies a lot of flies eat it.

Nature is fair ultimately.

If you are referring to levels of awareness, saying that predation is a lower act than some other, then yes you are right. But a person can use their own values to decide which predations will survive. It is my belief, and my actions reflect this, that natural predation among animals evolves and is justified ultimately.

The predation of artificial laws though serves only as a boundary that has to be watched. Meaning if someone wants to create artificial laws and use force to oblige others to respect them, those laws and their enforcers must be held to a reasonable standard.

'Law enforcement' is not a natural occupation. You have to contort to find an archetypal law enforcer. It is something that did not exist in humanity's past and will not exist in humanity's future. Gangs have always existed though.
username18333

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 07:22:19 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2015, 07:33:52 AM by username18333

It is my belief, and my actions reflect this, that natural predation among animals evolves and is justified ultimately.

Law is an element of culture—a set of adaptations.

Escape the plutocrats’ zanpakutō, Flower in the Mirror, Moon on the Water: brave “the ascent which is rough and steep” (Plato).
Safeless (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 07:11:08 PM

It is my belief, and my actions reflect this, that natural predation among animals evolves and is justified ultimately.

Law is an element of culture—a set of adaptations.

You are not distinguishing between natural and artificial law.

Artificial, political law in an element of artifice, culture. It expires.

Natural law is an element of nature. It grows.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 07:42:42 PM

As others have said I don't know about the specific laws for your country but in most countries banks own anything you deposit there, I realise this is a piss take for you, you could maybe talk to someone outside like a lawyer if too much time hasn't passed but I would just take it as a lesson on how badly banks will screw you over and invest in a tiny safe of some kind for yourself you can keep at home. You don't even really have to get anything massive and you'll have full control over it.

You don't own anything when you deposit money or any other items in a bank, they take full control, the worst part about depositing currency in a bank is they can play with it however they like on the stock market so if they suddenly start losing lots of money then you're going down as well and you won't be able to get it back.
username18333

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 09:33:36 PM

Artificial, political law in an element of artifice, culture.

Homo sapiens sapiens culture is begotten of an organic consciousness; however, for the phenomenology of consciousness, it is termed “artificial.”

Safeless (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 11:48:55 PM

Artificial, political law in an element of artifice, culture.

Homo sapiens sapiens culture is begotten of an organic consciousness; however, for the phenomenology of consciousness, it is termed “artificial.”

Political laws, artificial laws, are created by individuals, and do not really reflect a broader culture.

If I have enough guns or money I can make a law that says grapes have to be eaten 3 times a day.

When individuals make 'laws', the underlying motive, almost always hidden, is to copy nature. It fails. Certainly everything reflects something and a person chooses which reflections to respect.
Safeless (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 02:27:14 AM

When individuals make “laws”, the underlying motive, almost always hidden, is to copy nature.

Quote from: Carole L. Crumley. “Heterarchy and the Analysis of Complex Societies.” 2004. 3. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. link=http://www.sonoma.edu/users/p/purser/Anth590/crumley%20heterarchy.pdf
Heterarchy was first employed in a modern context by McCulloch (1945). He examined alternative cognitive structure(s), the collective organization of which he termed heterarchy. He demonstrated that the human brain, while reasonably orderly, was not organized hierarchically. This understanding revolutionized the neural study of the brain and solved major problems in the fields of artificial intelligence and computer design. To date, it has had little impact on the study of society.

Quote from: His Office. “Summary Offences.” _Great Empire Code_. 2015. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. link=https://rgeo5wj7gneidzh3.onion.city/law-code/offences-summary.html
Disturbance of the Proper Order
1. Whoever, with intent to provoke a breach of heterarchy, or under circumstances such that a breach of heterarchy may be occasioned, both crowds or congregates with others in or upon a street or highway, or upon a sidewalk, or any other place or building and fails or refuses to disperse and move on when ordered so to do by any end user of this title, or any other being thus authorized by the Emperor, is guilty of one disturbance of the proper order per unprosecuted instance of such failure, refusal, or both under this title.

The problem here is that the Crumley quote states the human brain is "not ordered hierarchically". This dogma doesn't fetch. It's like the chicken/egg or fate/free will argument. You can't just 'win' such arguments by saying "therefore I win".

Some aspects of the brain, of thought etc are hierarchical, some are not.

It would be reasonable to just put the last quote about 'summary offenses' in plain language rather than compounding the unarguable offence of 'sowing confusion'.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: