Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:44:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASIC tradeback - some questions  (Read 1010 times)
JackH (OP)

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 05:45:54 PM

On BFL's site they claim the following:

Hey, what the heck? Why’d you come out with this after I just bought a bunch of Singles. I’m going to be left behind!

We hear you loud and clear and we promise to stand by our customers through this technology change with an all inclusive trade in policy designed to protect the dollar value of your existing hardware.

Upon release of BitForce SC based Singles & Mini Rigs, all previous generation BitForce products will enjoy a full 100% trade in value when used towards the purchase of the newer generation replacements.  This means your current device is protected from depreciation through this evolution in technology.  This buy back offer is good for all previous generation BitForce units whether purchased directly from us or from a third party.  Full terms of our obsolescence guarantee will be forthcoming.

Having said this, it’s also important to point out that current generation products enjoy strong relative hashing power today and that will continue to make them profitable up to and through the point of ASIC market penetration when they can be traded in.

Does this mean that BFL accept to take FPGA units purchased from third party to deliver their ASIC designs? Despite the fact we did not buy from them in the first instance?

I am confused of why anyone would be doing this. It seems like a loss - especially when its units purchased from third party.

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 05:48:08 PM

Only the BFL units from third party, not other boards from other vendors.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:00:58 PM

Yes, you can buy a Single from someone here on the forums, buy a SC Single upgrade, and then send the current Single to BFL as part of the SC upgrade, despite never having purchased the original Single.

BTW, anyone notices how painful the BFL naming scheme is? I like the Jalapeno, cuz it doesn't get confused with any other product. But a Single and a SC Single can get confused, and a Mini Rig and a SC Mini Rig also get confused. At least for me...

They went from Single and Mini Rig to Jalapeno, SC Single, and SC Mini Rig.

IMO, they should have gone from Single and Mini Rig to Jalapeno, Standalone, and Big Rig.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
davidspitzer

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 06:09:17 PM

Yes, you can buy a Single from someone here on the forums, buy a SC Single upgrade, and then send the current Single to BFL as part of the SC upgrade, despite never having purchased the original Single.

BTW, anyone notices how painful the BFL naming scheme is? I like the Jalapeno, cuz it doesn't get confused with any other product. But a Single and a SC Single can get confused, and a Mini Rig and a SC Mini Rig also get confused. At least for me...

They went from Single and Mini Rig to Jalapeno, SC Single, and SC Mini Rig.

IMO, they should have gone from Single and Mini Rig to Jalapeno, Standalone, and Big Rig.

They should have kept the pepper theme

Jalapeno - Spicy and fast

Habanero (SC) - Super Spicy and Super Fast

Naga Jolokia (Mini)  - Damn Spicy and Damn Fast

Testit

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 05:31:13 PM

Yes i love chili peppers  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print