Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:35:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: An open letter to April 14th, 2018.  (Read 1695 times)
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 08:24:59 AM

Hello future.  The date is April 14th, three years ago (2015).  I am americanpegasus, the author of the Declaration of Blockchain Independance and Labrys (the first fictional novel built around bitcoin, to be released in a few months time).  In 2018 I am also famous as one of bitcoin's biggest proponents, though here in 2015 I am just getting started.  

I write this as a greeting from a different time.  A time when a million bits cost $220 (a whole 'bitcoin'), and a single U.S. Dollar could buy you 4,500 entire bits.   Grin

I know, that sounds crazy.  But don't envy us.  The decision seems obvious in retrospect, but even as one of bitcoin's biggest fans, I tell you the atmosphere is anything but obvious right now.   Huh

Many of you already knew about bitcoin in 2015, and many of you didn't.  Some of you heard about it and dismissed it as silliness.  I know I certainly derided it when I first encountered it at the peak of the 2013 bubble; I thought it was some kind of World of Warcraft gold or something.  Regardless, I'll bet you certainly know about it by now.  Things have probably changed slightly, huh?  

As I write this in 2015, the pieces are all set for some truly monumental movements over the next few years.  We have governments increasingly acknowledging and regulating this 'made-up internet money' that no one took seriously at its inception.  Tech startups are springing to life around bitcoin at a pace not seen since the dot-com boom of the 90's.  Venture capitalists are all eying crypto-currency with a shrewd eye while businesses that crypto threatens to disrupt are all sounding battle cries.  And yet, here we sit at the end of the longest and most brutal crash in the history of the currency wondering what the future will hold.  Prices are *insanely* low, and like I said... a million bits runs the average consumer about $220 at current prices.  They aren't hard to get ahold of either; the interested can easily buy them from a number of reputable companies.  

You might wonder, "Wow!  Why didn't everyone see it?  Why didn't everyone buy in... if only I had bought some bitcoins back in 2015 I'd be rich... I had $x,xxx lying around but I didn't know.  Damnit!"  

Listen, many of us now have the same frustrations about 2011 when we could have had bitcoins for scant dollars apiece.  But this is the nature of the beast.  Every moment in bitcoins history is a good time to buy because it is a mathematical creature that won't stop growing until it dominates and saturates the globe... and will keep going after that too.  Like gold has done throughout millenia it will keep pace with the growth and expansion of human civilization.  It is a savings account ledger who's underlying representation is the fate of civilization itself.  

That's some pretty powerful backing.  

And again, the decision seems obvious to you now, but I assure you it is not (from where I sit here in 2015).  It takes a fair amount of omniscience, brilliance, patience, and wisdom to buy into bitcoin at the present moment.  Paid trolls roam the internet attacking bitcoin and any 'idiot' foolish enough to hold or buy it.  The average person has heard of bitcoin, but they still think of it primarily in conjuction with illegal activities and they have no major interest in acquiring it.  People who are interested in bitcoin are seen as slightly weird, by both mainstream culture and mainstream finance.  Most of the investment bankers and finance gurus I mention bitcoin to just smile at me like I'm a silly pleb, and they immediately acquire a cloak of smugness.  "Oh... bitcoin."  To them it's essentially a multi-level marketing scheme or some penny-auction nonsense.  They have no clue what is coming, and their little rodent brains wouldn't believe the evidence even if you could lay it out in front of them.  Their egos can't accept the truth:  

Bitcoin wins.  

It's the same truth you probably know/suspect by April, 2018.  As I have previously written, bitcoin is a financial virus that will consume the value of all civilization.  The only cure would be for humans to completely stop acting like humans and that isn't going to happen.  Bitcoin will win because it is one of the most brilliant mathematical creations in the history of humanity, the ultimate application for those cool little prime numbers we discovered so many millenia ago.  

The atmosphere is toxic, but some of us see through the nonsense.  We can see the end result, and understand the eventual end-game scenario that bitcoin will create.  And it's going to be incredible.  

I know you wish you could come back to 2015 and buy bitcoin, but don't feel bad.  Even if you were here you likely would think it was a silly waste of money... a bad investment... the same as I did in 2012 and 2013.  All you can do now is understand that bitcoin isn't going away, and any time is a good time to invest in bitcoin.  So don't worry about future crashes in the thousands, and tens of thousands of dollars.  Bitcoin is the best form of money humanity has ever created and it's not going anywhere.    

Oh, by the way, you're all invited to my kick ass 2018 Halloween party.  See you there.  

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dasource

Activity: 821
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 08:38:11 AM

I'm in!

^ I am with STUPID!
p2pbucks

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 08:50:08 AM

Nice propaganda .  

I will recall your post when bitcoin todamoon  Grin

SpanishSoldier

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 08:53:44 AM

See you in 2018 Wink
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 09:06:55 AM

Good article. I am a bitcoiner believers as you!
For reference when 2018 is approaching, I want to see what is the reaction from the members in our community.
Lexi Price

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

Live Free Or Die

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 09:19:05 AM
Last edit: April 14, 2015, 09:57:07 PM by Lexi Price

*waves to future me from past me*

Hi future me! I just need to ask if those three things I swore I'd take care of "if it's the last thing I do" ever got done and are we better or worse off because of it? How'd that one lawsuit work out? Oh, and puhleeeaze tell me that Bush's twat of a brother did not pay off Rove to steal another election. Is everyone still on their knees or did we finally get up off of them and embrace The Great Disruption?

Do we even still live in the United States or did we manage to meet a nice sexy handsome dude from, oh somewhere else, Canada even, get married (or a wicked housekeeping gig) and move away?

Nah, didn't think so.

How much BTC do we own now? Remember our Plan A?! Did we get there?! We better have, I'm counting on me to end up there later so I can look back at current/past me and go heeelllllyeah we did! So don't screw around. Get it done!

Anyway, just pay attention to where BTC is now and remember what not to do!

All right, that's all.

Love,

Us.

*waves to other future yous on the forum...how yall are in 2018? Happy Halloween!*

*Leave a message to your future you...it'll become the official Bitcoin Forum Time Machine ;p*

La Bella Vita Nessun Rimpianto
americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 09:41:09 AM

@Lexi Price 

Hey Lexi.  Sorry to say that Jeb Bush does indeed win the next election. 

Sorry about that, not like it ultimately matters.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 09:45:27 AM

Wow.... I can't believe I'm here in this such moment Cool
Keep your BTCitcoin til 2018....

faucet used to be profitable
xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 10:28:04 AM

Hi future me, how's it going? Better? Worse? Undecided Hope you did a few things.

> little rodent brains
 Cheesy

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 10:53:04 AM

Hi future me, how's it going? Better? Worse? Undecided Hope you did a few things.

> little rodent brains
 Cheesy

Hi your future, I'm from from the past. Why did you post this thing in the past? Why don't you just doing something useful Tongue

faucet used to be profitable
xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 11:33:53 AM

> little rodent brains
 Cheesy

Hi your future, I'm from from the past. Why did you post this thing in the past? Why don't you just doing something useful Tongue

ignore this guy, future me. He's hardly being useful either Tongue Future him and me, I hope you both did something useful by now.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 01:37:31 PM

Where is this halloween party.  I may just join you.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2015, 01:48:52 PM

I booked my ticket to the Halloween party already.

In Bitcoin.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 01:52:46 PM

Where is this halloween party.  I may just join you.
In a castle he hasn't bought yet.

You know, it's funny, because I opened this thread right after going for a walk with my Grandfather. I told him that I expect that in 3 years I expect to make a sizable amount from bitcoin, and that I think there is at least a 50% chance of success. Being in early-mid stage dementia, he asked "what year is it now? 2014?" I told him it's April 2015.

but you know, it's hard to give a time for these kinds of things. I expect that even if bitcoin's price goes way up in 3 years, and the amount of people accepting it as a legitimate currency increases significantly, there will still be great doubt whether this technology is scalable, whether it's secure, and whether it's just a ponzi. I don't think we can see such a significant shift in the mentality of the masses in just 3 years. Maybe 30.

I also wouldn't do this, since if I was able to become a multi-decamillionaire (screw millionaire, 1mil usd isn't even a lot these days, and bitcoin's going to the moon, right?) I'd totally want to remain as anonymous as possible. In fact, I'd probably keep it a secret even from my parents, for the first year or so. It'd be fun knowing that you're actually a decamillionaire and those around you didn't realize it, and it'd be an unique opportunity too. What other way can you make 10s of millions in secret without anyone knowing?

Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2015, 01:55:07 PM

It takes a fair amount of omniscience
My favorite part. A+ circlejerk, would read author again. Also precious was this:
The only cure would be for humans to completely stop acting like humans and that isn't going to happen.  

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2015, 05:10:08 PM

Lexi Price

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

Live Free Or Die

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 05:16:10 PM

Camp 1: *wipes tear* It was a profound and awe inspiring moment when bitcoin went to the moon. It really changed everything.

Camp 2: FAKE!! HOAX!! BITCOIN DID NOT LAND ON THE MOON! IT WAS CGI AND GREEN SCREEN!

Grin

PS...why is the astronaut in the middle of crosshairs? That can't be good.

La Bella Vita Nessun Rimpianto
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 05:20:25 PM

I've been there thought all the terrible crashes that killed Bitcoin, this is no different, no need to have a time traveler to tell me Bitcoin is the be all end all of wealth transaction. Im balls deep in. See you in 2018, and by 2028 see you on the special "Didn't sell in 2015" private island resort gathering.
vm_mpn

Activity: 605

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 07:18:11 PM

Lol.. I'm watching this thread. Good job OP!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 07:30:07 PM

Things will really get interesting when the inflation settles to a more sensible level after future halvings. Ten years and beyond is when there might be some proper deflationary effects if it's still rolling.

Message to future self - look after that prostate. You're not getting any younger.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: