Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:26:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Android phone wallet... crap...  (Read 1603 times)
Akbarkoe
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1034

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 05:00:22 PM

electrum or blockchain
recomended wallet to use.
thebitcoinquiz.com

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 05:43:40 PM

I depreciate using Blockchain.info for spending coins from a paper wallet especially if you are reusing. Either use Mycelium or import it to an Android wallet like Bither.
Can you tell what's the problem in using blockchain.info? I am really interested if you can explain it to me.

When you import private keys, it will be stored in root folder. I don't know if they removed private key from it. Can you tell me what exactly is your problem? Is there any other doubts?
And I don't think he still has the private keys.

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 05:54:49 PM

A lot of effort to log in for my spending wallet. 

I use:

Bitcoin-qt
bitaddress.org (on an offline harddrive, no USBs ever touch it, move stuff off it via CD)
and this android wallet.  (Andreas Schildbach's wallet) I guess it is called lol. (This one it would suck to get hacked/stolen/lost but I treat it as spending so if it gets owned I don't mind to much)

I have a blockchain account it needs that login number thingy.. odds are I've lost the 20 milibits on there :S..  Who knows I'll try to figure it out another time.  It has been ages since I've used it though.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2015, 05:57:15 PM

I depreciate using Blockchain.info for spending coins from a paper wallet especially if you are reusing. Either use Mycelium or import it to an Android wallet like Bither.
Can you tell what's the problem in using blockchain.info? I am really interested if you can explain it to me.

There will be downtime and also they have a good history bugs and resulting in big loose. They cover it but that doesn't make a wallet good. Last time, because of reused R values, many BTC were lost. I am sure it would have been higher if the Bitcoins went to a wrong guy but they were lucky it went to a honest guy who sent Bitcoins to them. [1]

Their explorer is corrupted sometimes and because of it, we can't spend coins from wallet. [2]

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=581411.0;all
[2] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=123726.0;all

thebitcoinquiz.com

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 06:47:29 PM

There will be downtime and also they have a good history bugs and resulting in big loose. They cover it but that doesn't make a wallet good. Last time, because of reused R values, many BTC were lost. I am sure it would have been higher if the Bitcoins went to a wrong guy but they were lucky it went to a honest guy who sent Bitcoins to them. [1]

Their explorer is corrupted sometimes and because of it, we can't spend coins from wallet. [2]

Well yeah. They keep on getting bugs but those bugs can arise in any of the mini wallets that don't need you to download the blockchain(correct me if i am wrong), and basically its a good thing that they cover your loss(they did it when I found a bug and paid me a bounty and covered my loss), and its good that many people use it and so bugs are found easily(than the other micro wallets). Also you can use it on any platform.
If you want something foolproof(as they say it) you should download the whole blockchain and then run your wallet.

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 16832

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 05:53:39 AM

I mainly dislike this wallet because it is so slow...
Update: since the last update it's a lot faster!

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 06:04:42 AM

Well yeah. They keep on getting bugs but those bugs can arise in any of the mini wallets that don't need you to download the blockchain(correct me if i am wrong), and basically its a good thing that they cover your loss(they did it when I found a bug and paid me a bounty and covered my loss), and its good that many people use it and so bugs are found easily(than the other micro wallets). Also you can use it on any platform.
If you want something foolproof(as they say it) you should download the whole blockchain and then run your wallet.

They also have downtimes. Isn't it better to use an SPV or HD client? There are manu clients which isn't buggy like theirs.

coinpr0n

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 09:49:04 AM

I've been using the wallet, albeit the TestNet version, and I have to say I find it quite good. I haven't experienced any of the issues people complain about. Feels like a great little project to me!

btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 12:05:59 PM

They also have downtimes. Isn't it better to use an SPV or HD client? There are manu clients which isn't buggy like theirs.

I don't understand why ppl still still trust bc.i. They've had more than their fair share of bugs[1][2][3], some of them serious and/or inept which have lead to actual btc loss.

All three of the wallets I mentioned above are SPV and decentralized: the Schildbach wallet, breadwallet, and Bither. Electrum is also SPV, but it's not as well decentralized/worse privacy (no bloom filters). Greenbits is also SPV; it adds 2FA in exchange for being centralized, and it's a good (if somewhat confusing) option.

[1]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=581411.msg9888800#msg9888800
[2]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=581411.msg9940868#msg9940868
[3]: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin.org/pull/663#issuecomment-64975087
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 01:01:59 PM

I don't understand why ppl still still trust bc.i. They've had more than their fair share of bugs[1][2][3], some of them serious and/or inept which have lead to actual btc loss.

1) They covered users' looses if anything happens.
2) They are well-known and trusted.
3) Importantly, it is an online wallet.

Most people usually don't check how "secure" is a wallet. They check how "easy" is to spend from a wallet or to access it.

All three of the wallets I mentioned above are SPV and decentralized: the Schildbach wallet, breadwallet, and Bither. Electrum is also SPV, but it's not as well decentralized/worse privacy (no bloom filters). Greenbits is also SPV; it adds 2FA in exchange for being centralized, and it's a good (if somewhat confusing) option.

[1]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=581411.msg9888800#msg9888800
[2]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=581411.msg9940868#msg9940868
[3]: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin.org/pull/663#issuecomment-64975087

Adslot in this forum about electrum:

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. Hybrid server-assisted clients like Electrum get a lot of their network information from centralized servers, but they also check the server's results using blockchain header data. This is perhaps somewhat more secure than either server-assisted clients or header-only clients.

Cruxer

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 01:40:34 PM

I can't get myself to try phone wallets, they are too insecure for my taste :/
Hope in future it will change
Anon39
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1010

▇ ▅ ▃ ▇ ▅ █

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 01:46:55 PM

i think that a secure wallet for android/ios could be greenaddress wallet, with multisig, two-factor autentication and hardware wallet support  Wink
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 03:08:37 PM

1) They covered users' looses if anything happens.

They have in the past covered users' losses when the fault was bc.i's, but nobody knows if they would have been able to do so during the last big one if not for johoe's saving 870btc on behalf of bc.i, nor if they'll be able to afford their next big one (which of course I hope will never happen!).

2) They are well-known and trusted.

That's the whole problem. People who don't know any better trust that bc.i is both honest and competent. While the former seems likely IMO, the latter does not, and you need to have both to prevent loss.

3) Importantly, it is an online wallet.

Most people usually don't check how "secure" is a wallet. They check how "easy" is to spend from a wallet or to access it.

I agree, and that's what I find unfortunate. There are more secure online alternatives.

Adslot in this forum about electrum:

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. Hybrid server-assisted clients like Electrum get a lot of their network information from centralized servers, but they also check the server's results using blockchain header data. This is perhaps somewhat more secure than either server-assisted clients or header-only clients.

Electrum's model would have some security benefits over a P2P SPV model if the Electrum servers were required to use SSL, but they aren't. As it is, I see no security benefits. P2P clients d/l headers & merkle branches from 8-ish full nodes (out of thousands globally), and Electrum clients d/l headers & merkle branches from 8(?)-ish Electrum servers (out of 14 globally). Could you or Adslot be more specific on why you think otherwise?

Electrum's model does have a privacy disadvantage when compared to P2P SPV—AFAIK, Electrum doesn't use bloom filters for monitoring addresses.
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 03:12:26 PM

i think that a secure wallet for android/ios could be greenaddress wallet, with multisig, two-factor autentication and hardware wallet support  Wink

I like GreenAddress/Greenbits too, FWIW, although I do find it a bit confusing for beginners. Of course for mobile use, its 2FA is only effective if you have a separate phone/laptop/PC for the 2FA bit.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: