Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 07:24:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Satoshi expect Bitcoin to last this long?  (Read 4403 times)
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 02:50:23 AM

If you read his messages in the forum you will see that he had some hope that this would be a very long project that could revolutionize the world
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 02:55:25 AM

Of Course!

I read here in the forum that he was talking about years of duration for bitcoin
And he didn't make this drunk,this project must have been done with a huge amount of time before announcement
vipgelsi
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 02:58:09 AM

i do not think he did.
sana54210
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1128

"CoinPoker.com"

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 07:45:22 AM

Satoshi was a visonary and he was sure that Bitcoin will last for long time, I can quote one of his quotes

"Aug. 5, 2010: While I don’t think Bitcoin is practical for smaller micropayments right now, it will eventually be as storage and bandwidth costs continue to fall. … Whatever size micropayments you need will eventually be practical. I think in 5 or 10 years, the bandwidth and storage will seem trivial."

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:44:11 AM

Satoshi was a visonary and he was sure that Bitcoin will last for long time, I can quote one of his quotes

"Aug. 5, 2010: While I don’t think Bitcoin is practical for smaller micropayments right now, it will eventually be as storage and bandwidth costs continue to fall. … Whatever size micropayments you need will eventually be practical. I think in 5 or 10 years, the bandwidth and storage will seem trivial."

He was certainly not an accurate visionary on the 5-year timescale. The storage and bandwidth requirements needed to use Bitcoin for micropayments do not seem trivial. Even in 10 years (4 from now) that seems doubtful.

BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:53:04 AM

He was certainly not an accurate visionary on the 5-year timescale. The storage and bandwidth requirements needed to use Bitcoin for micropayments do not seem trivial. Even in 10 years (4 from now) that seems doubtful.

Maybe 10-15 years from now, storage and bandwidth will be trivial. However, bitcoin will be so popular then, it needs more storage and bandwidth.
bensam12345

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 11:05:57 AM

Yes he was very close to being accurate and he still has 5 more years for that saying of his to come true which imo is possible with wide adoption of bitcoin, that being said, i will not be able to buy a gift card online in 2010 with 0.02BTC with all the transaction costs, but now it is totally possible as the costs of bandwidth and storage have gone down significantly and the value of bitcoin has grown from few cents to hundreds of dollars.
|Bitcoin|

Activity: 320

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 11:11:36 AM

I think Satoshi had a passion and a dream and was in it to actually create something different and unique not to aim for money.

People that do business or invent for the sake of making money often fizz out, fail, or lose drive and move onto something else that can be another 'get rich quick scheme'

Bitcoin is so intricate and well formed that it seems that it is done by someone (or some group) that really had drive, innovation, and in the easiest form of explaining it 'vision' (Whatever that means these days).

He obviously was looking in the long run. Look how the rewards change over time Smiley

Well said. I agree a person who create something for money wont hold long. A person who create for society will hold very long.

I think Satoshi know Bitcoin will get so popular.
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 11:19:10 AM

He didn't cash out yet, so he's going ALL IN on his creation.
What do you say? Do you think that he will wait for couple of years and the withdraw every coin? It would be disastrous for bitcoin economy if he do that. Beside I think early adopters had slight  advantage over everyone else and Satoshi is aware of that. He will let people believe in BTC this is the reason he won't touch these coins.
InvestONEr

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 11:20:55 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2015, 12:24:04 PM by InvestONEr

Satoshi saw it as a potential experiment. The idea came from playing MMORPGs.

Im not sure if he will ever be able to use his coins.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 11:21:26 AM

Yes he was very close to being accurate and he still has 5 more years for that saying of his to come true which imo is possible with wide adoption of bitcoin, that being said, i will not be able to buy a gift card online in 2010 with 0.02BTC with all the transaction costs, but now it is totally possible as the costs of bandwidth and storage have gone down significantly and the value of bitcoin has grown from few cents to hundreds of dollars.

He said storage and bandwidth would "seem trivial." They don't. You still have reasonably intelligent people arguing that the block size should not be raised or should only be raised very slowly and carefully because it would make it too hard to run full nodes. That's not something that seems trivial at all. And that says nothing about the storage and bandwidth requirements to widely use it for microtransactions which would far exceed the current 5-7 tx/sec volume nothing (by factors of thousands at least). I will acknowledge that in 5 more years things may be different.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 11:47:49 AM

I bet when he laid out the plan, he has carefully thought of on what to expect and then put everything in the best consideration. If you notice the timing when bitcoin came about, it was in 2009 just close to almost 2 years after the subprime mortgage crisis and economic recession. I bet he envisioned with the aim to create the ideal perfect money that would solve the mess from our current financial system.

virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 12:56:19 PM

Just wondering what you guys think was this just a project that he made whilst being drunk in univeristy and decided to release it and it caught on fast or did he know that it was going to get this big?

I read he expected digital currencies to play some role in the next decade.  Bitcoin was an experiment at the time and there were lots of critics. Satoshi had the idea that the more people will accept it the more valuable it will be.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
tescomatty

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 01:49:24 AM

I think satoshi was like any inventor, passionate about what he did. Did he think that Bitcoin would last this long? That's under consideration, but he certainly hoped so. I can't imagine someone inventing something and interacting with it the way he did and just giving up.

bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 01:53:42 AM

Im sure he expected it to last this long. I bet he was a bit surprised when it went from a couple bucks to over 1k in just a few months.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 11:16:21 AM

I strongly believe, that he at least invested quite some time into the project. Writing software like this isn't something you do it in a day or two. I do believe though, that he didn't anticipate the success it eventually achieved. I believe he just did it as some kind of experiment he hoped would get some traction.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
sandy47bt

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 11:45:00 AM

Of course he expect bitcoin to last very long since he created bitcoin
Maybe he was surprised that bitcoin become this successful & government afraid with his creation
Chomsky

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 12:12:12 PM

Where is the logic in that? I think he was well aware that what he created was an experiment and still is. Nobody, not even satoshi, could have predicted what would or will happen in the future. I'm sure he's probably both surprised and proud how far bitcoin has come. 
Enfield

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 12:32:22 PM

Maybe he was surprised that bitcoin become this successful & government afraid with his creation

Read the whitepaper. He mentioned some of his expectations in there I believe (or mentioned them elsewhere for sure regarding who would be interested in bitcoin etc).
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 12:36:01 PM

Where is the logic in that? I think he was well aware that what he created was an experiment and still is. Nobody, not even satoshi, could have predicted what would or will happen in the future. I'm sure he's probably both surprised and proud how far bitcoin has come. 

Predictions and expectations are not the same thing. Satoshi did expect Bitcoin to be successful. You can perceive that in the whitepaper and in his messages to public groups.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: