Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 09:23:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining with Solar energy  (Read 2331 times)
buysolar

Activity: 125
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 05:00:51 AM

I mine with solar energy. Works well for me. Lifecycle cost should be around 4.5cents per kwh where I live.

When you say you mine with it how many watts are you getting from solar?

If you don't mind me asking what did it cost for install, and what is your normal electricity price?

I have 20,000 watts (20kw) of solar power online currently. I'm bringing another 20kw online in the next 2 months (already installed the panels just need to hook up the inverters) and another 60kw over the next 12 months. My cost per kw installed is about $1.5/watt for grid connected solar system after all the state and federal incentives. Cost of electricity in my area is about 16cents/kwh
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 05:07:23 AM

I mine with solar energy. Works well for me. Lifecycle cost should be around 4.5cents per kwh where I live.

If you don't mind me asking what did it cost for install, and what is your normal electricity price?

I have 20,000 watts (20kw) of solar power online currently. I'm bringing another 20kw online in the next 2 months (already installed the panels just need to hook up the inverters) and another 60kw over the next 12 months. My cost per kw installed is about $1.5/watt for grid connected solar system after all the state and federal incentives. Cost of electricity in my area is about 16cents/kwh

How much kWh do you get per year out of the 20kW? (Or how much do you expect)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 05:14:25 AM

I envy your set up would be very nice to mine with solar.

I just cannot commit to the ROI of it.  30,000ish is a heck of a upfront cost.  Assuming you had 10 cent /Kwh and at 20k watts you spend 1440 a month on electricity.  Your spending around 20 months of electricity all at once.   But I can see your side you will have a heck of a solar setup in the end.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 05:15:08 AM

Batteries or just 12 hours of mining a day or supplemental of grid tied system?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
buysolar

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 05:26:25 AM

How much kWh do you get per year out of the 20kW? (Or how much do you expect)

Conservatively I expect about 24,000 kwh/yr out of the 20kw system in my area.
buysolar

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 05:29:53 AM

Batteries or just 12 hours of mining a day or supplemental of grid tied system?

It's a grid tied system, so I have no trouble mining 24/7. But I do have a battery back up unit as well (although I don't include the battery back up in my cost analyses because it's optional and just in case shtf).
RadekG

Activity: 924
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 07:40:09 AM

Hi all

Its possible to mining with a solar energy?
maybe buy a device who support 12v and plug in the electricity in this adapter and mining with free electricity?

anyone try this?

YES and it can ROI PV panels in less than 8 years at price of USD 0.1/kWh. Mining at solar energy must be backed by either battery or grid electricity. Your PV panels can be directly connected to miners (grid PSU also) and voltage of PV controller should be few mV higher than grid PSU, so all energy from PV will be used to power miners even at cloudy, the rest will be backed by grid.

This model keeps your miners stable voltage and running smoothly, but when used with "string design" miners like Antminer S5 or S4+, it needs additional DC-DC convertor. By the way, this model reduces investment by missing expensive grid invertor.

ctoth70

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 12:34:30 PM

Can you please tell me what system are using (sollar panels, accu and other tehnical). I'm interested in building my system. Thank you!
buysolar

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 04:33:40 PM

Can you please tell me what system are using (sollar panels, accu and other tehnical). I'm interested in building my system. Thank you!

I used all grade A tier 1 solar products on my system. You can save money in the short term by going with used or lower quality products or products that have less or no warranty. 
The inverters are manufactured by SMA are UL listed and come with a 10 year manufacturers warranty that can be extended to 20 years.
The solar panels, I'm using a bunch of different brands with wattages between 230watts per panel and 400watts per panel. But they are all UL listed and come with a manufacturers warranty of at least 20years.
For the solar mounting rack I used 2 different types a 1)custom rack I designed 20 years ago and 2)unirac   
The rest of the components are mostly standard off the shelf components available at your local electrical store.
bobz

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 12:01:40 PM

I have been looking at doing mining with solar.

You can get 1500W solar panels for about $2000 direct from china, perhaps even cheaper. From memory they can run about 800W 24 hours, from 12 hours of sun light.

They are big too, thats 6 foot by 3 foot i believe, it would be sitting in your back yard taking a bit of room. If you had enough room, you could setup 20 or 100 of these, i bet you could get them cheaper if you buy in bulk from china.

And you might make more money selling the electricity, but mining gives you the op to earn alot more in the future if bitcoin and altcoins really take off.

I think its possible to get a good ROI, but expensive to start.

I am going to buy a 60w or 300W solar panel just for fun and stick a rasperry PI on it with a few USB miners or something to mine altcoins, not expecting a ROI but just for fun it will be cool, you can get them from china for about 100 bucks or less.
buysolar

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 05:58:28 AM
Last edit: April 28, 2015, 01:20:07 AM by buysolar

I have been looking at doing mining with solar.

You can get 1500W solar panels for about $2000 direct from china, perhaps even cheaper. From memory they can run about 800W 24 hours, from 12 hours of sun light.

They are big too, thats 6 foot by 3 foot i believe, it would be sitting in your back yard taking a bit of room. If you had enough room, you could setup 20 or 100 of these, i bet you could get them cheaper if you buy in bulk from china.

And you might make more money selling the electricity, but mining gives you the op to earn alot more in the future if bitcoin and altcoins really take off.

I think its possible to get a good ROI, but expensive to start.

I am going to buy a 60w or 300W solar panel just for fun and stick a rasperry PI on it with a few USB miners or something to mine altcoins, not expecting a ROI but just for fun it will be cool, you can get them from china for about 100 bucks or less.

Yes I can get you solar panels for about $1/watt including shipping here in N. America, with at least a 20 year manufacturers warranty. The 1500watt modules are a bit bigger than most people can comfortably carry. 180watts to 400watts is what most prefer, for ease of handling.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can buy the solar panels with bitcoin
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: