Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:02:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: Disable new user registration, Invites only  (Read 2038 times)
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 12:20:58 PM

I certainly don't like it. Bitcointalk must be and stay open for people who are genuinely interested in Bitcoin.

As sukamasoto mentioned, it would be better to ip ban scammers instead of allowing them to make new accounts and continue to scam people over and over again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Grand_Voyageur

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 12:55:01 PM

=snip=
Disabling registrations through TOR, and checking cookies could be another solution.

+1. I agree with your proposal!  Cool

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 01:05:07 PM

A theory, and what will happen if some users will start to sell "invites" of bitcointalk.org? This is why we don't need an invite for register, it's free and it will be free for ever. If you have received a valid reply from someone I suggest you to lock this thread, thanks.
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 01:09:58 PM

I dont think what you said is possible, the best thing is not to trade with newbies and if you want to then use escrow.
unsoindovo
Legendary

Activity: 1932

https://locktrip.com/?refId=40964

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 02:41:56 PM

I don't think its a good idea to stop new users from registering. For a new person introduced to bitcoin, it will be harder to join. Rather people will start selling accounts, which would kind of mean the same thing.

A better solution to stop the spam would be not allow new registrations from an existing IP. But even that has some limitations, as there can always be multiple people using the same IP. Disabling registrations through TOR, and checking cookies could be another solution.

i think this policy it is already in use...
if you register with tor,
bitcoin talk ask you money to enable the registered user...

if i find the thread again i post here....

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 02:49:17 PM

I don't think its a good idea to stop new users from registering. For a new person introduced to bitcoin, it will be harder to join. Rather people will start selling accounts, which would kind of mean the same thing.

A better solution to stop the spam would be not allow new registrations from an existing IP. But even that has some limitations, as there can always be multiple people using the same IP. Disabling registrations through TOR, and checking cookies could be another solution.

No, you are wrong. The registration through TOR is not disabled, the fee that you will pay if you'll register through tor it's only to enable the "post" function (not for nothing else). More info at: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=711968.msg8044683#msg8044683
unsoindovo
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 06:27:43 PM

No, you are wrong. The registration through TOR is not disabled, the fee that you will pay if you'll register through tor it's only to enable the "post" function (not for nothing else). More info at: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=711968.msg8044683#msg8044683
you are right!!!
the fee it's required to enable posts...
not to register...
but at the end,
it is the same thing....
you are registered, but you are not enabled to post until you pay according to your "Unit of evil"

Wink

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

████           ▄▄█████████▄▄            ▄▄█████████▄▄        ████         █████      ██████████████████   ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████         ▄███████████████▄        ▄███████████████▄      ████       █████      ████████████████████  █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████        █████▀       ▀█████▄     █████▀       ▀█████     ████     █████         █       ████       █  ████     █████             ████     █████  
████       ████▀           ▀████▄   ████▀           ▀████    ████   █████                   ████          ████      ████     ████    ████      ████  
████      ████▀              ▀████ ▀███▀                     ████ █████                     ████          ████     █████     ████    ████     █████  
████      ████                 ████▄ ▀                       ████████                       ████          █████████████      ████    █████████████   
████      ████                  ▀████                        ████████                       ████          ████████████       ████    ████████████    
████      ████▄             ▄██▄ ▀████▄                      ████ █████                     ████          ████    ████       ████    ████            
████       ████▄           ▄████   ▀████▄           ▄████    ████   █████                   ████          ████    ▀████      ████    ████            
████        █████▄       ▄█████      █████▄       ▄█████     ████     █████                 ████          ████      ████     ████    ████            
████████████ ▀███████████████▀        ▀███████████████▀      ████       █████               ████          ████       ████    ████    ████            
█████████████  ▀▀█████████▀▀            ▀▀█████████▀▀        ████         █████             ████          ████        █████  ████    ████            

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 09:58:28 PM

you are right!!!
not to register...
but at the end,
it is the same thing....
you are registered, but you are not enabled to post until you pay according to your "Unit of evil"

Wink

Disabling registrations through Tor? Why would anyone want to do that? There are people out there that depend on Tor, for a few their lives depend on Tor working. Maybe some of them are into bitcoin, why would you close the door for people that actually need our help?

Instead of an open minded community where people can discuss their ideas, ask questions and get help, OP wants to create a private club. Go ahead, I dont want to be part of it. I did not know anyone into bitcoin when I started here. All I know about bitcoin, I learned here and I would not have been here if an invite was required. We probably endured newbie jail together and now you are asking the admins to close the doors? For what?

#1 "new users scam". Scammers scam, no matter how old their account is. Plenty of scammers already have accounts, what would stop them from inviting themselves? Lets just assume for a second they would have to buy an invite for some reason - because we all know this will happen once access here is limited further - scammers have the most reason to invest into an invite, because they have a plan to ROI. Honest people that come to ask questions do not.

#2 "farming accounts" would naturally increase as a valid business if you further limit the supply of accounts.

#3 "spamming everywhere" new accounts have a very hard time to spam. They are limited to a post every 360 seconds in case you forgot how awful long that is, create a new account and try to participate in a discussion. Even Jr. Members are still significantly limited.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 10:13:18 PM

We want Bitcoin to grow and take over the world, but we want to make it impossible for new users to discuss their new currency on the biggest forum for the currency that's out there? Makes a lot of sense...
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 12:15:32 AM

I doubt that account farmers and scammers would find it difficult to get invites. This proposal would only inconvenience real newbies who we want to welcome to the forum.
umairsaleem

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 12:41:53 AM

This won't stop the farmers who is already the members on this forum, they can still invite themselves to create more accounts, and this would only the real newbie who want to get involved with this forum.
Stratobitz
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:28:49 AM

I don't think this is going to happen. One point of the forum is to get more people involved into Bitcoin. If registration is closed then less people will join the community which means less people will use Bitcoin.

Id agree with Quickseller here. The only thing that perhaps might be a smart move, yet Perhaps difficult to implement in keeping with the spirit of Bitcointalks view on privacy, would be to require more information during registration so that its a bit more difficult to create fake/spam/scam accounts.

Phone verification could be a good idea. Anyone wanting to remain truly anonymous could simply go buy a burner with cash from a 7-11 and buy some pre-paid text/minutes.

That would likely weed out 90% of fake accounts.

Strato
Superhitech
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:36:48 AM

I don't think this is going to happen. One point of the forum is to get more people involved into Bitcoin. If registration is closed then less people will join the community which means less people will use Bitcoin.

Id agree with Quickseller here. The only thing that perhaps might be a smart move, yet Perhaps difficult to implement in keeping with the spirit of Bitcointalks view on privacy, would be to require more information during registration so that its a bit more difficult to create fake/spam/scam accounts.

Phone verification could be a good idea. Anyone wanting to remain truly anonymous could simply go buy a burner with cash from a 7-11 and buy some pre-paid text/minutes.

Strato

No. I don't think too much info should be required, as isn't bitcoin all about privacy?

I agree that scammers should be blocked, but putting stuff out like your address, exact place where you live etc., is a little bit ridiculous IMO. Also, scammers can just fake the info.

Buying a burner number for phone number verification is unnecessary, I don't think people should have to pay or disclose their real identity to participate in this forum.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:38:19 AM

No if there is to be a special section it could be an invite only section of the forums
Or a Hero Account and higher area
Would say Legends but that would take ages for anyone to get into from scratch.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2015, 03:41:31 AM

I don't want to see things like "[WTS] Bitcointalk Invites" in other forums. Read shorena's post will give you an idea why we don't want to see that.

Strato

I don't agree with limited privacy. Scammers will buy a virtual number and things needed easily but honest users will turn away. It is same for most strict rules. The current system is good.

No if there is to be a special section it could be an invite only section of the forums

There is already donator and staff forum.

Stratobitz
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:42:20 AM

Strato

No. I don't think too much info should be required, as isn't bitcoin all about privacy?

I agree that scammers should be blocked, but putting stuff out like your address, exact place where you live etc., is a little bit ridiculous IMO. Also, scammers can just fake the info.

Buying a burner number for phone number verification is unnecessary, I don't think people should have to pay or disclose their real identity to participate in this forum.

I agree.  I simply stated its tough to create a safeguard without adding some sort of safeguard against people just creating lots of accounts.

The phone idea was just one... Smiley

Strato
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:45:22 AM

One that doesn't cost 10 BTC to enter and might see more active users
Albeit your trading in prices for Time accumulated instead.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Stratobitz
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 03:54:53 AM

One that doesn't cost 10 BTC to enter and might see more active users
Albeit your trading in prices for Time accumulated instead.

I think thats an interesting idea. Ill likely make Hero in 2.5 months, but back to the idea.

Having either a X Member Level or higher area OR giving members the option when creating original threads to only allow X Level or higher to access could be interesting.

Just an idea. But really this in and of itself stifles the concept of sharing information.

Perhaps just a "Hero's Lounge' would be nice.

Strato
unsoindovo
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 09:39:03 AM

They are limited to a post every 360 seconds in case you forgot how awful long that is, create a new account and try to participate in a discussion. Even Jr. Members are still significantly limited.

...for as I see it,
this limit could be incremented....
without problem...
i mean for newbee and Jr. Membert too...

and another thing...
why introduce something like this:

if account is inactive for 180days, this value could be optimized,
mods bann it.

this is my 2 satoshi...

██▬▬▬

██▬

██▬

██▬▬▬

▬▬▬██

▬██

▬██

▬▬▬██
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 09:46:10 AM

you are right!!!
not to register...
but at the end,
it is the same thing....

Wink

Disabling registrations through Tor? Why would anyone want to do that? There are people out there that depend on Tor, for a few their lives depend on Tor working. Maybe some of them are into bitcoin, why would you close the door for people that actually need our help?

Instead of an open minded community where people can discuss their ideas, ask questions and get help, OP wants to create a private club. Go ahead, I dont want to be part of it. I did not know anyone into bitcoin when I started here. All I know about bitcoin, I learned here and I would not have been here if an invite was required. We probably endured newbie jail together and now you are asking the admins to close the doors? For what?

#1 "new users scam". Scammers scam, no matter how old their account is. Plenty of scammers already have accounts, what would stop them from inviting themselves? Lets just assume for a second they would have to buy an invite for some reason - because we all know this will happen once access here is limited further - scammers have the most reason to invest into an invite, because they have a plan to ROI. Honest people that come to ask questions do not.

#2 "farming accounts" would naturally increase as a valid business if you further limit the supply of accounts.

#3 "spamming everywhere" new accounts have a very hard time to spam. They are limited to a post every 360 seconds in case you forgot how awful long that is, create a new account and try to participate in a discussion. Even Jr. Members are still significantly limited.

Definitely, TOR is not the problem. As a lot of users said "the spammer or scammer" will not stop to make their action against the newbie users also if the registration through TOR will be disabled. It does not exist a real solution to this problem, because the problem itself cannot be resolved (only with the continuing ban of farmer accounts).

I don't want to see things like "[WTS] Bitcointalk Invites" in other forums. Read shorena's post will give you an idea why we don't want to see that.

Exactly, I have already explained here in this thread that make registration only through invites will complicate the situation because those scammer will start to selling invites outside the forum, and we should remember that this is a forum. Everyone is free to do whatever he wants, bit if he will catched he will be obviously banned (that's all).
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: