Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:31:59 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S1 - so did I fry it? [RESOLVED - NOT FRIED!, pics added!]  (Read 909 times)
lbeckm3 (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 02:56:59 AM
Last edit: April 17, 2015, 04:57:11 PM by lbeckm3

So like a moron - I connected up my FIRST Antminer S1 (I know, electricity cost more than mining revenue...), and I connected 1 PCIE 6 pin connector and the other (daisy chained to the first) wouldn't reach.  So hey, here is another 8 pin connector that is similar (black and yellow wires, similar stuff) and of course AFTERWARDS I see the yellow and black is reversed.  So here is what happened;

I added the paperclip trick to PSU, connected the one PCIE connector up and the BAD connector up, powered up and zip?!  shut it off quick and try redoing it.  Again zip, so try again with thicker wire jumper.  Again nothing - then I think, well maybe I didn't let it sit long enough.. then after 20 seconds, the magic smoke is coming from the PSU!!  I power down quick and disconnect everything.  Then, as I SHOULD have done to start with, I try the paperclip alone and it starts to power up (finally fan spins!) and then more magic smoke and I pull it and quit.

Now I'm hoping I fried the PSU only (which is stupid as the S1 cost me $42 and the PSU cost me $70).  What do you think?  I'm going to get another PSU tomorrow to try again, but anyone else ever do this?  Did the Antminer survive?  

Frack I'm pissed at myself for being this stupid!  Get all pumped up to get it fired up and .... denied!!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 03:18:48 AM

So like a moron - I connected up my FIRST Antminer S1 (I know, electricity cost more than mining revenue...), and I connected 1 PCIE 6 pin connector and the other (daisy chained to the first) wouldn't reach.  So hey, here is another 8 pin connector that is similar (black and yellow wires, similar stuff) and of course AFTERWARDS I see the yellow and black is reversed.  So here is what happened;

I added the paperclip trick to PSU, connected the one PCIE connector up and the BAD connector up, powered up and zip?!  shut it off quick and try redoing it.  Again zip, so try again with thicker wire jumper.  Again nothing - then I think, well maybe I didn't let it sit long enough.. then after 20 seconds, the magic smoke is coming from the PSU!!  I power down quick and disconnect everything.  Then, as I SHOULD have done to start with, I try the paperclip alone and it starts to power up (finally fan spins!) and then more magic smoke and I pull it and quit.

Now I'm hoping I fried the PSU only (which is stupid as the S1 cost me $42 and the PSU cost me $70).  What do you think?  I'm going to get another PSU tomorrow to try again, but anyone else ever do this?  Did the Antminer survive? 

Frack I'm pissed at myself for being this stupid!  Get all pumped up to get it fired up and .... denied!!

I think you fried your PSU that other cord as a CPU power.... it was in no way made for PCIE.   As far as S1 not sure but PSU is a goner.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 03:43:48 AM

It's likely the controller and blade connected to the proper PCIe are still good. The blade connected to your 8-pin, I don't know what kind of reverse protection they have but it's pretty likely that's been roasted by the reverse current. My guess would be, best case you shot the PSU and half your S1.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 03:44:46 AM

I just don't believe that 8 pin EPS connector would fit into 6 pin PCIE connector. They has different shape configuration.
lbeckm3 (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 03:48:21 AM

I just don't believe that 8 pin EPS connector would fit into 6 pin PCIE connector. They has different shape configuration.
Well I'm not sure what that connector is called, but it clipped right in! 

Thanks all - I'll post tomorrow in this thread on the status of the unit.  It was the blade on the opposite side of the ethernet connection - so, I'm hoping, worst case is I have 1/2 an S1 working.  *fingers crossed*
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 03:50:02 AM

You would have to force it very hard I would think.   I'm unsure how he managed it.  I have not seen it done that is why I personally wonder if S1 is still good, it will be interesting to see what it does after this.
lbeckm3 (OP)

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 09:16:42 PM

Well, new PSU and all is well!!  Looks like the Antminer S1 must have some decent reverse polarity protection (or the burned up PSU did).  Cooking along now!!  YES!!  Both boards are humming along at 134 gh/s (bought it already undervolted etc. for lower power draw).  Went from a Raidmax Cobra PSU to a Corsair modular PSU (much nicer with fewer cables in the way). 

Thanks all! 

https://i.imgur.com/53zbwAfl.jpg
J4bberwock

Activity: 840

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 09:32:52 PM

You would have to force it very hard I would think.   I'm unsure how he managed it.  I have not seen it done that is why I personally wonder if S1 is still good, it will be interesting to see what it does after this.

You don't have to force, it's as simple as the manufacturers not using the 45558 or 45718 PCI-E connectors but another one with a different keying.
the 45559-0002 PCI-e and other minifit Jr connectors are fitting perfectly since the only difference on the connector is a square hole instead where the PCI-E have a rounded one.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 02:31:27 AM

You don't have to force, it's as simple as the manufacturers not using the 45558 or 45718 PCI-E connectors but another one with a different keying.
the 45559-0002 PCI-e and other minifit Jr connectors are fitting perfectly since the only difference on the connector is a square hole instead where the PCI-E have a rounded one.

I guess I am use to using decent PSU's.  I didn't think about it but a cheap psu I guess might use different keying. 

But no matter what I'm glad to hear it didnt hurt miner, and OP got it running.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 04:11:09 PM

Sounds like the "Electrical God''s" were smiling on you at the time. Usually a problem like that would also take out some other unrelated piece of hardware, just to drive home the point!  Smiley
lbeckm3 (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 04:28:46 PM

Sounds like the "Electrical God''s" were smiling on you at the time. Usually a problem like that would also take out some other unrelated piece of hardware, just to drive home the point!  Smiley
Yes indeed they were!!  I'm actually quite shocked it's working. Now maybe my luck will continue and the "block solving God's" will solve a block for me as well...  not holding my breath...  Smiley

One thing I did notice with this used S1 is the fan doesn't seem to want to start until I "flick it" with a pencil. It just kind of sits there and jerks occasionally.  Not a huge deal, but I'm worried about a power outage and then it restarting ok.  Guessing it will prob just get too hot and shutdown anyway?!  I may have to hit eBay for a replacement fan. 
lbeckm3 (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 04:56:23 PM

Here are some shots of the blown PSU, on this first one you will note the only difference from the left side over, is the 2nd row, top pin.  The top connector is the bad one, the bottom is the PCIE one that is/was fine.

https://i.imgur.com/gzDWQhGl.jpg

This side shot shows how the power is reversed with yellow and black being opposite (I should have noticed that but...)

https://i.imgur.com/XBDeMCAl.jpg

Sad shot - this is what the PSU was...

https://i.imgur.com/KGzbGaCl.jpg

At least it all ended well!  Other than $70 lighter in my wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: