Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:17:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How ow to identify a potential bad buyer  (Read 1214 times)
matt_kearns (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 08:46:22 AM

Hello forum,

If you are an online seller and you are not feeling comfortable to sell to anyone, you can start screening your buyers before shipping. In this way, you will become more confident even when it comes to selling worldwide. Additionally, you will be able to improve your financial performance, because of the reduced number of fraudulent returns. However, you must understand that you have to review your buyers as well in order to screen them.

Wish you luck,
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 03:10:48 PM

How can one screen the buyers? By checking their earlier trade reputation or by verifying their identity (ID proof etc.)? The most reliable method to sell bitcoins is IN PERSON transaction.

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 03:23:44 PM

How can one screen the buyers? By checking their earlier trade reputation or by verifying their identity (ID proof etc.)? The most reliable method to sell bitcoins is IN PERSON transaction.
In different place we apply different criteria to screen the buyers. If you are doing business at bitcointalk.org, we normally check their posting history and trust record to estimate their reputation! If not good, we use escrow to do business with them!
Most transaction is done remotely! So in person transaction is not realistic in most of the cases!

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 03:31:40 PM

trust setting was made exactly for this, post history may help, but sometime you could get into someone, that is building his trust/post history to scam people later, those are the harder to spot

personally i would use escrow anyway, just to be more safe
s1ng
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 03:49:54 PM

Hello forum,

If you are an online seller and you are not feeling comfortable to sell to anyone, you can start screening your buyers before shipping. In this way, you will become more confident even when it comes to selling worldwide. Additionally, you will be able to improve your financial performance, because of the reduced number of fraudulent returns. However, you must understand that you have to review your buyers as well in order to screen them.

Wish you luck,

Escrow is the best option (there're some plenty free escrow you can choose)
or if you do not want to use it, you can look everyone's trust feedback before trade with them
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 03:53:30 PM

What dies this have to do with Bitcoin? There are no fraudulent returns; once the buyer sends you money, it's yours irrevocably, unless you choose to return it. Fraudulent sellers are a much bigger concern than fraudulent buyers.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 03:53:46 PM

If you, as a seller accept bitcoin payment, you should keep in mind that after receiving bitcoin payment, you can start shipping the products to the buyers. No need to screen the buyers, coz bitcoin transaction can not be reversed.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:33:56 PM

Currently, the best option is to use an trusted escrow. It is nearly impossible to check the identity and trustworthiness of members on the board.
waterpile

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:52:30 PM

Currently, the best option is to use an trusted escrow. It is nearly impossible to check the identity and trustworthiness of members on the board.

Yep, I agree using an escrow will both protect the parties involve and making transactions smooth.
erpbridge
Legendary

Activity: 954
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 09:32:32 PM

Escrow is usually the only way to protect oneself, but it also falls prey to the fradulent returns. I suppose, thats one risk you have to take if you sell to someone new on the forum, so if you are selling individually to one person, you might use the trust system to see if he has trades in the past and has been trustworthy in them .

However if you go open a business like Coinfortech, then you can always accept the payment in first, and since you are the trusted party on this site. You might also resort to other means like videotaping the order before, but that will be too much work.
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1348

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 07:58:42 AM

I'm not sure how this screening would work. There are some sites where you can check a users feedback and trust with all trades but you can only do that if the user is signed up to that site.
When I look at my buyers, I usually look at how long they've been a member for, their post history, and read history they've had and think about whether or not I've come across them before. Doing a Google search I the username can't do any harm.
Then again, the best method for both parties is escrow. Nobody loses that way.
ipbo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2015, 09:05:58 AM

You can not trust people now a days better to have an escrow or other document kept in the custody of a third party.
peeveepee

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 12:49:35 PM

Need to assume everyone is a scammer when dealing in btc.
Sarthak

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

Error 404: there seems to be nothing here.

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 12:51:24 PM

Escrow is always a very good option! Very rare chances of getting scammed Cheesy
And fix the typo in the topic of OP Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: