Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 07:17:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to talk to dummies?  (Read 368 times)
toddtervy (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 06:39:09 PM

How to talk to people that think they know everything, but can't even comprehend the little they do know at a high level.

Get off my c@ck !
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 06:42:11 PM

How to talk to people that think they know everything, but can't even comprehend the little they do know at a high level.

Most likely no matter what you say it would make no difference.  If they don't comprehend it does not matter if you say a sentence or multipage paper.
toddtervy (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 06:47:07 PM

Most likely no matter what you say it would make no difference.  If they don't comprehend it does not matter if you say a sentence or multipage paper.

True.  Some people will write 5 pages of BS to try to make a point that could've been conveyed in a few sentences.  I think it started with the Essays in school where you had to write so many words.

Get off my c@ck !
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 06:55:36 PM

I wouldn't consider anybody as dumb as they might have more knowledge than me but they just can't convey their message. In that case, I might be dumb as I can't understand.

I would prefer ignoring them as I will never understand what they are actually trying to explain or I would pretend that I understood and thank them to make them stop  Cheesy

toddtervy (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 07:12:17 PM

I wouldn't consider anybody as dumb as they might have more knowledge than me but they just can't convey their message. In that case, I might be dumb as I can't understand.

I would prefer ignoring them as I will never understand what they are actually trying to explain or I would pretend that I understood and thank them to make them stop  Cheesy

You're missing  a key point.  That everything you 'know' you comprehend at a certain level.  Someone could be very knowledgeable, but still not that smart.

Get off my c@ck !
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 07:27:01 PM

You're missing  a key point.  That everything you 'know' you comprehend at a certain level.  Someone could be very knowledgeable, but still not that smart.

OK so you mean that the person himself can't grasp. I thought it's me who can't grasp.

To make these people comprehend, you can try explaining with the help of real life examples as it's going to be very tough. I have tried taking tuitions of such students and it was really tough to make them understand what I am saying and so I made use of examples which made my job easier.

If you are having a general conversation, then I have no clue as whatever I would tell them, they wouldn't understand it or may just pretend not to understand.

p.nusia

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 08:11:51 PM

Why talk to them
i doubt that you can persuade a not very bright person to change his or her point of view, but even if you decide to do thet just be very calm and patient. However to my mind this is simply pointless
Mr Tsoutsounopaiktis

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2015, 08:27:09 PM

I have the same problem with the relativists. They think they know physics!  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: