Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:54:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your Aim?  (Read 1671 times)
billington.mark (OP)

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 10:45:07 AM

Does everyone here have an end goal with Bitcoin?

My primary goal is that i'm slowly building up enough BTC and buying\selling so I can eventually pay off my mortgage early.

Obviously I sometimes get sidetracked with buying honey from people on the forum but other than that things are going to plan so far.

What is everyone else aiming for in the long run?

BTC - 1MarkBCmVn3yp1SB9RZZ7VfqJzkpV8Hmdo
BitMessage - BM-GtZkeAbmKGs77FEoigm9TmsQBSfvMB3N

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 10:51:58 AM

My goal is to build a global bitcoin-related business which employs hundreds if not thousands people  Grin

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 11:43:10 AM

My goal is to build a global bitcoin-related business which employs hundreds if not thousands people  Grin

Seconded. I'll let the speculators and neckbeards worry about the network, logic and economical issues with bitcoin itself. I'm only interested in what it enables, and right now that's a whole shitload.

lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 12:07:48 PM

My goal is to use it to
  • refute all the statists' and anti-bitcoiners' erroneous beliefs
  • do cool stuff
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 12:38:38 PM

As a business owner, who does international trade.

• Bill most of my clients in bitcoin
  • Pay most of my bills via bitcoin
  • Eventually move the majority of my assets into bitcoin form
  • Build an investment portfolio in bitcoin securities, enough to provide a decent income
  • Further increase my mining farm, to the point it provides a decent income

I see a lot of potential for bitcoin, for me, it has many uses, to aid an existing business.
For one it does save me a lot of money for international trade, banks love those huge fees, I don't.
Also it's a lot easier to get involved with various forms of investment using bitcoin.

As a currency, it's quick and easy. No fuss transactions which don't get reversed.
I've never had an issue with reversed transaction in the past, but it's always been a potential thing that could really screw up a business plan or two if it was.

billington.mark (OP)

Activity: 153

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 12:56:25 PM

After reading the first few replies I've quickly realised I've obviously not set my sights high enough....
Time to start brainstorming...

BTC - 1MarkBCmVn3yp1SB9RZZ7VfqJzkpV8Hmdo
BitMessage - BM-GtZkeAbmKGs77FEoigm9TmsQBSfvMB3N
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 01:13:55 PM

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 01:26:47 PM

My goal is to build a global bitcoin-related business which employs hundreds if not thousands people  Grin

my goal is to build hundreds if not thousands of bitcoin-related businesses, which can be run by one person.

Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 01:44:48 PM

Seconded. I'll let the speculators and neckbeards worry about the network, logic and economical issues with bitcoin itself. I'm only interested in what it enables, and right now that's a whole shitload.

Don't forget the writers Smiley

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 01:46:10 PM

Don't forget the writers Smiley

Hehe. My bad Vitalik.

nevafuse

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 01:48:30 PM

My goal is to educate everyone I can about bitcoin & its benefits.  Show them how inflationary currencies hurt the poor by making savings worthless over time.  Explain how we can revolutionize governments by withholding taxes.

The only reason to limit the block size is to subsidize non-Bitcoin currencies
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 01:52:39 PM

My goal is to educate everyone I can about bitcoin & its benefits.  Show them how inflationary currencies hurt the poor by making savings worthless over time.  Explain how we can revolutionize governments by withholding taxes.

+1
Tril

Activity: 213

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:30:44 PM

My aim with bitcoin is to catalyze human consciousness to realize we already have the freedom to associate with whom we choose, to live without approval of any third parties, that this is an innate freedom we already have.  This idea will create cracks in the hallucination and eventually shatter the authority illusion; the idea that any transaction necessarily has five parties to it: the buyer, seller, the banking system (to process it and charge for tracking you), the regulators (to allow it and take a cut for deciding what you can do), and the parasites who hide in their palaces funded by devaluing the currency unit to stoke war.  All corruption is merging into one joint venture to strengthen this illusion, but will look more and more ridiculous, as it sucks the tainted life from itself, until no one believes anymore.  If you are part of the system, you have freedom to get out.

Bitcoin equation reduced:

BITCOIN = MATHEMATICS + SOURCE CODE + INTERNET = FREEDOM + PROSPERITY + PEACE
Jointops420

Activity: 132

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:31:59 PM

I want to start the Fonzi Ponzi, the coolest one ever, so much so that no one can loose money on it.

j/k

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 02:39:09 PM

Goal?

Enable bitcoin to dominate the world.

Insu Dra

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 03:03:21 PM

The usual: find a need, come up with way to serve it, build a viable solution and prove that it works, move on to next thing.

Making some money to pay for bills and upkeep along the way is always fun ofc Cool

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
sceeth0

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 04:10:57 PM

A few years ago I created Apophis Dismantling LLC.  Its stated goal is to protect the earth from asteroids.  Its actual function so far has been to allow me to convert a small amount of untaxed income into wage income each year, so that I can move money from a regular etrade account into a roth IRA and avoid paying capital gains taxes every time I decide to make a trade.

Apophis Dismantling can never do what it was officially created for, because raising money isn't as simple as selling 1/1,000,000 share for $100 and doing that over and over.  There are taxes, fees for an IPO, exorbitant amounts of protection money to be paid to the listing agencies if you want to sell bonds, etc.  In short, I'd end up owing the government millions of dollars before I'd hired my first engineer.  And before I even got to THAT point, I'd have to hire someone to tell me HOW to proceed.  I'm not going to pay millions of dollars for the privilege of attempting to save the world.  (an attempt that would probably fail anyway, to save it from a threat that will probably pass harmlessly by)  I'm too bitter and spiteful.  So my LLC won't ever do this.  It will just sit there so I can go to bars and brag about being a CEO of a tech company.

But I reckon a few other people have the same idea.  A mass driver can be as simple as a drill, a few springs, and a couple solar panels.  Given several years to arrange a rendezvous with the target, existing ion propulsion or ablative sail technology can easily manage the task without adding much mass to your initial payload.  Getting your primitive craft into orbit to begin with can be left to others with proven track records.

Sooner or later someone is going to attempt this, probably someone like myself with absurdly grand ideas and little practical knowledge.  Someone is going to realize it's hardly a stretch from deflecting an asteroid to maneuvering it where you want, and not much more of a stretch to add functionality to your mass driver until you're actually mining.

Someone is probably going to stumble upon GLBSE or the equivalent, which by then should be large enough to handle such an offering.  I've already witnessed enough to make my time/money investment worthwhile even if BTC crashed to 0.  Now I want to witness this.  I'll be waiting.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 04:14:01 PM

Bankrupt the world's evil super power, end their wars and change the world for the better.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: