Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:29:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running without wallet  (Read 2555 times)
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 13, 2010, 01:30:40 PM

Could this be done?

Ok, maybe that's not enough information there Smiley Here's my line of thought:

- I have a wallet, it has some funds. I create an address and send a few coins to it.
- I'm on another client altogether now. I want to collect these coins, but the address isn't mine. What do I need, which keys does it take to create a transaction from the sender address to a private address of mine?

In other words, what do I need to own the result of a transaction and where does bitcoin client store that (in code, I know its in the wallet Smiley)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
September 13, 2010, 05:05:56 PM

I don't follow you. Huh

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2010, 05:19:53 PM

Say you generate a new address on your client, its 1abc...
Now on another client you transfer to that address, so when the 1st client sees that transaction in a block, and checks it using its priv key, it knows the transaction belongs to it.

If you add that key to another client you can grab the transaction elsewhere, right? Spending it will only happen once, but multiple wallets can have that address.

What I want to do is to have the address+key so I can, without ever adding that key to my wallet.dat, create a transaction spending the value in that address+key, effectively sending it to my real address.

This would make for a proxy address schema, where you could send money to the network and then provide the key information to anyone to collect, but without actually holding the proxy key, it would be use and throw away.

Is that any clearer?
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
September 13, 2010, 06:29:07 PM

You just need the private key.

1. I send coins to an address.
2. I transmit the private key for that address to you.
3. You can now spend anything owned by that address. You could send the entire balance to a new address and then discard the key.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658

View Profile
September 13, 2010, 06:32:38 PM

Export/import function for private keys?
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2010, 06:37:23 PM

On steroids... I want to be able to tell the client:
bitcoind collectfromkey privkey amount

And it would create the transaction with the privkey as sender, amount as, well, amount, and my own address (may provide it on cli too, of course) as recipient. It may be actually importing the private key, sure, although I don't think that would be needed technically, so as long as I can construct the transfer pdu.
nimnul

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2010, 02:29:59 PM

Say you generate a new address on your client, its 1abc...
Now on another client you transfer to that address, so when the 1st client sees that transaction in a block, and checks it using its priv key, it knows the transaction belongs to it.

If you add that key to another client you can grab the transaction elsewhere, right? Spending it will only happen once, but multiple wallets can have that address.

What I want to do is to have the address+key so I can, without ever adding that key to my wallet.dat, create a transaction spending the value in that address+key, effectively sending it to my real address.

This would make for a proxy address schema, where you could send money to the network and then provide the key information to anyone to collect, but without actually holding the proxy key, it would be use and throw away.

Is that any clearer?
It won't work because a malicious person can give private key and then spend those money himself effectively taken the given money back.

Current scheme when destination client provides his public key is designed to protect against that.

You may also see a related discussion at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=939.0

That scheme proposed by me Smiley allows to run generating nodes without a wallet, but without the above flaw.

Why do you want to run without a wallet at the first place?

nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 02:37:07 PM

Current scheme when destination client provides his public key is designed to protect against that.

You may also see a related discussion at http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=939.0

That scheme proposed by me Smiley allows to run generating nodes without a wallet, but without the above flaw.

Why do you want to run without a wallet at the first place?

I don't. I want to accept a transaction using a provided key and immediately transfer that out to some address. Running without a wallet is kind of an eufemism.

So basically I send a transaction to an address that I own, but no client has, not even mine. That transaction gets into the next block and will be confirmed, but never collected.
Time passes, I provide that key to someone (QR code, email, smoke signals, morse code, whatever) and they want to collect. Notice I didn't transfer to that person, neither did I use a 3rd party payment processor.
Of couse, after providing the private key to that person I can still use it myself, but then that person has the option to, be it by a new feature in the client or by some service provided in the web, say "here's a key, transfer all that it has to my bc address". After that is done, I no longer hold any value in that priv key.

The reasons why I think this is useful are, for now, only mildly disclosed, but can we, technically, do it?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 21, 2010, 12:17:24 AM

So basically I send a transaction to an address that I own, but no client has, not even mine. That transaction gets into the next block and will be confirmed, but never collected.
Time passes, I provide that key to someone (QR code, email, smoke signals, morse code, whatever) and they want to collect. Notice I didn't transfer to that person, neither did I use a 3rd party payment processor.
The reasons why I think this is useful are, for now, only mildly disclosed, but can we, technically, do it?

I'm guessing that you want to run a client upon a machine that you don't consider secure, and don't want any of your private keys exposed if said machine were compromised with/without your knowledge.  If this is what you want, I don't think that it's possible.  I'm pretty sure that the private key is neccessary for signing the special transaction at the top of a new block that creates those 50 new bitcoins, forever exposing the keypair used on your non-secure machine to potential theft.  There are certainly ways to make that more difficult via software, such as an encrypted wallet, but there probably isn't any way to be absolute.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2010, 12:29:41 AM

I'm guessing that you want to run a client upon a machine that you don't consider secure, and don't want any of your private keys exposed if said machine were compromised with/without your knowledge.  If this is what you want, I don't think that it's possible.  I'm pretty sure that the private key is neccessary for signing the special transaction at the top of a new block that creates those 50 new bitcoins, forever exposing the keypair used on your non-secure machine to potential theft.  There are certainly ways to make that more difficult via software, such as an encrypted wallet, but there probably isn't any way to be absolute.

That use case has never crossed my mind Smiley

I really want to throw a transaction into the bitcoin ether, and then be able to provide the information to someone else so they can collect that transaction. Who that someone else is I don't know at the time of the transfer.
semyazza

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2010, 05:25:40 AM

It's an interesting idea. What you're after is a bitcheck?  Once the check is "cashed" it is no longer good?
Anonymous

September 25, 2010, 06:16:13 AM

That use case has never crossed my mind Smiley

I really want to throw a transaction into the bitcoin ether, and then be able to provide the information to someone else so they can collect that transaction. Who that someone else is I don't know at the time of the transfer.

I want to hide a bitcoin in a geocache and give people hints on the hiding spot  Cheesy

nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2010, 11:03:10 AM

It's an interesting idea. What you're after is a bitcheck?  Once the check is "cashed" it is no longer good?

Yeah, that's kind of what I want. Not the exact thing but a great use for it Smiley
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2010, 11:18:38 AM

I want to hide a bitcoin in a geocache and give people hints on the hiding spot  Cheesy

I like that idea, I like it a lot! I'll try and give this a go, and we can all do a global geocaching hunt!
lfm

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 26, 2010, 08:15:18 AM

On steroids... I want to be able to tell the client:
bitcoind collectfromkey privkey amount

And it would create the transaction with the privkey as sender, amount as, well, amount, and my own address (may provide it on cli too, of course) as recipient. It may be actually importing the private key, sure, although I don't think that would be needed technically, so as long as I can construct the transfer pdu.

If you wanted to do this without any need to change the current software at all, you would :

1: create a new wallet directory
2: create a new receive address for that wallet.
3: send your amount to that wallet
4: publish the whole wallet.dat file as an attached file or whatever.

the person who wanted to try to recover the amount would then put that wallet in a new .bitcoin directory and send the amount wanted from it to a new bitcoin address in their regular wallet. (if they were first they would then own the whole amount  and if they didn't want the whole amount they would have to republish the new resultant wallet file with the "change" left over in it.)

nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2010, 10:18:27 AM

If you wanted to do this without any need to change the current software at all, you would :

the person who wanted to try to recover the amount would then put that wallet in a new .bitcoin directory and send the amount wanted from it to a new bitcoin address in their regular wallet. (if they were first they would then own the whole amount  and if they didn't want the whole amount they would have to republish the new resultant wallet file with the "change" left over in it.)

Almost, but not quite the same thing. A wallet includes the needed information, i.e. the private key, but its format may not be supported by future clients. It is not user friendly, can't do the 'here's a printed QRCode' or 'just open this file in the bitcoin client'

Also, the end recipient would have to, as you say, open the new wallet and transfer. This is very non-trivial, especially on GUI clients, and all non technical users would get up and scream in one voice: "Huh?"
lfm

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 26, 2010, 06:37:15 PM

Almost, but not quite the same thing. A wallet includes the needed information, i.e. the private key, but its format may not be supported by future clients. It is not user friendly, can't do the 'here's a printed QRCode' or 'just open this file in the bitcoin client'

Also, the end recipient would have to, as you say, open the new wallet and transfer. This is very non-trivial, especially on GUI clients, and all non technical users would get up and scream in one voice: "Huh?"

I think most of your objections could be overcome with a simple shell that handled the "just open this file" case and could simplify the command line for stupid^h^h^h^h^h^h non technical users who can't be bothered to figure out a shell command.
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2010, 06:55:27 PM

I think most of your objections could be overcome with a simple shell that handled the "just open this file" case and could simplify the command line for stupid^h^h^h^h^h^h non technical users who can't be bothered to figure out a shell command.

Could be, but it's the 'non techs' I am aiming at, and more so the ones using Windows GUI, so shell is not even in their glossary. But even though you may object, humour me. Can this be done?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: