Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:00:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reward drop effects  (Read 1631 times)
count_eternity (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 06:07:36 PM

I want to here your thoughts on the reward drop effects. At a quick glance, it would seem to cause a bubble in BTC value, but I'm sure there is someone with a better understanding of economics who can give a better explanation.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 06:23:52 PM

This is an essential part of bitcoin. Like gold bitcoins have a fixed total amount. Assuming wider adoption, the diminishing supply of BTC drives up price. Unlike gold bitcoins can be divided into ever smaller amounts to accommodate this increase in price. That is also different from fiat currencies, which tend to print more money to fix budget problems and drive value down.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
count_eternity (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 06:42:44 PM

OK, so the infinite divisibility of BTC functions similarly to money printing?
ForceField
aka Vitaliy

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 07:11:14 PM

OK, so the infinite divisibility of BTC functions similarly to money printing?

Not exactly money printing as the total amount is not increasing. Instead, smaller amounts have higher value.

Also, they're not infinitely divisible, but only down to a minimum of eight decimal places (0.00000001).

PC Hardware & Electronics For BTC     Traded w/: Kansattica | jduck1987 | shakaru | newdude | nitetrader | midievil | blo8i | mb300sd | juggalodarkclow | Garr255 | Tril | Ringmasta | SysRun | CrazyBlane | sokay | BCB | str4wm4n | PinkBatman | Bitobsessed | matauc12 | antimattercrusader | BryanK
50BTC.com

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

PPS pool

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 07:18:30 PM

At the moment smallest bitcoin part is 1 Satoshi = 0.00000001 BTC. So there will be only 20 999 999,999999999496 BTC total.

50btc.com - PPS pool, instant payout (Visa, Liberty Reserve, QIWI, Yandex.Money, WebMoney,...), API, fast and responsible support, pay for stale shares.
count_eternity (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 08:32:41 PM

Oh, so there still is a finite number? Interesting. I assume it is pure speculation what happens when demand outweighs supply.
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 08:40:42 PM

Its an quasi-ortogonal equation, part is designed diminished return connected with new actors entering the game, part is speculation regarding block reward halving, complexity increase, asics entering the ring, etc..

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
OneVillain

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 09:16:27 PM

It shouldn't have any affect on price.  Everyone knows the drop will happen, so it's already factored in.  (Imagine if we were bidding on a house and everyone knows there's gonna be a gold toilet installed tomorrow. Today's bids will reflect that.)

♠ Heads-Up Bitcoin poker [we're closed, thanks for giving us a shot]: OneVillain.com ♦♣ Follow us on Twitter
ShoopDaWhoop

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 09:36:26 PM

It shouldn't have any affect on price.  Everyone knows the drop will happen, so it's already factored in.  (Imagine if we were bidding on a house and everyone knows there's gonna be a gold toilet installed tomorrow. Today's bids will reflect that.)
Exactly. It's public knowledge that the reward drop will happen late-november or early-december.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 10:38:25 PM

Also, they're not infinitely divisible, but only down to a minimum of eight decimal places (0.00000001).
The current client only divides them down to eight decimal places, but there is nothing in the protocol that prevents them from being divided further.  If the need should arise, they could be divided further by upgrading the client program. They are essentially infinitely divisible.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 11:20:27 PM

Dont forget about lost coins which can never be recovered. Known amount is large. Unknown?
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 11:23:12 PM

The current client only divides them down to eight decimal places, but there is nothing in the protocol that prevents them from being divided further.  If the need should arise, they could be divided further by upgrading the client program. They are essentially infinitely divisible.

The way you say it, anything is infinitely divisible. Stocks, fiat money, skateboards, or oranges. BTC as we know them are finite and indivisible.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 11:41:53 PM

It shouldn't have any affect on price.  Everyone knows the drop will happen, so it's already factored in.  (Imagine if we were bidding on a house and everyone knows there's gonna be a gold toilet installed tomorrow. Today's bids will reflect that.)
Exactly. It's public knowledge that the reward drop will happen late-november or early-december.

also note, that people have been mentioning a 'doubling' effect since the price was stable at $5. so in that case, it's already happened.
Domrada

Activity: 254

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2012, 11:47:06 PM

I think it goes without saying that with fewer coins being sold on the exchange by miners, the price ought to rise.  The real question is, has the price already risen in anticipation of the reduced supply?

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 11:48:22 PM

The way you say it, anything is infinitely divisible.
Not really.
Stocks,
Certainly, stocks split all the time, and will continue to split whenever desired with no finite limit on the number of times it can happen.
fiat money,
In theory, yes, but since it tends to be inflationary, there really isn't any benefit to it.  There are instances where the U.S. dollar is split beyond hundredths.  As an example, my local gas station lists the price as $4.239
skateboards, oranges
No.  Once you get down to a single skateboard (or orange), you really can't divide it any further and still have it be useful as a skateboard (or orange).
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 11:50:07 PM

I think it goes without saying that with fewer coins being sold on the exchange by miners, the price ought to rise.  The real question is, has the price already risen in anticipation of the reduced supply?

somewhat, but i still reckon no matter what, there'll be some kind of ramp up just before the drop, followed buy a huge drop of 'oh shit', followed by another spike of 'ooops', ...repeat for at least 24 hours until some stability kicks in.

i.e. i think no matter how much it's already priced in, it'll still be a bumpy ride over the drop period.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 12:35:59 AM

skateboards, oranges
No.  Once you get down to a single skateboard (or orange), you really can't divide it any further and still have it be useful as a skateboard (or orange).
Fair point. But my point still stands; Bitcoin as we know it is finite. A future version that divides it further is a blockchain fork and is not Bitcoin as we know it today.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 03:47:23 PM

skateboards, oranges
Fair point. But my point still stands; Bitcoin as we know it is finite. A future version that divides it further is a blockchain fork and is not Bitcoin as we know it today.
Interesting. I hadn't really looked into it, but the current precision seems like a design flaw.

Bitcoin is designed such that it can never have more than a total of 21 million BTC, so even if someone somehow owned every BTC ever in existence and tried to create a single transaction to send all of it to another address, the transaction output wouldn't/couldn't ever exceed 21 million.

Looking at the specs, the output is represented as int64_t. This would seem to imply that even if the value stored in signed, the maximum transaction output is 92,233,720,368.54775807 (92 billion)

It seems that in the initial design it would have made more sense to have 11 decimal places.  Then the maximum output in a transaction would be 92,233,720.36854775807 (92 million)

This would still leave enough room for a single transaction that contains EVERY bitcoin ever in existence, but would provide an additional 3 decimal places for if/when deflation eventually drives the value of a bitcoin sufficiently high.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 04:38:51 PM

skateboards, oranges
Interesting. I hadn't really looked into it, but the current precision seems like a design flaw.

Bitcoin is designed such that it can never have more than a total of 21 million BTC, so even if someone somehow owned every BTC ever in existence and tried to create a single transaction to send all of it to another address, the transaction output wouldn't/couldn't ever exceed 21 million.

Looking at the specs, the output is represented as int64_t. This would seem to imply that even if the value stored in signed, the maximum transaction output is 92,233,720,368.54775807 (92 billion)

It seems that in the initial design it would have made more sense to have 11 decimal places.  Then the maximum output in a transaction would be 92,233,720.36854775807 (92 million)

This would still leave enough room for a single transaction that contains EVERY bitcoin ever in existence, but would provide an additional 3 decimal places for if/when deflation eventually drives the value of a bitcoin sufficiently high.
I've lobbied for the creation of three more decimal places in the past (as it would fit into the infrastructure), however, it was rejected on the premise that 2.1 quadrillion units is sufficient for the next year or so.
SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 04:41:36 PM

go on iTunesU and watch an economics course.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/economics/id431795595

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: