Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:38:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why 10 minutes?  (Read 1206 times)
anewbie (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 03:49:28 AM

Why a block every 10 minutes?

I'm sure this was discussed extensively when the protocol was first established and on this forum more than once, but I can't find anything on the reasoning.

On the surface, it seems to me if you are trying to create a global currency, then limiting any exchange of that currency to an average of once every 10 minutes seems like an artificial restriction on trade, and with some blocks I've seen a wait of over an hour until the the next.

I'm certain that it must have something to do with trust and preventing double-spending, but I would love to have that made more explicit.

What breaks if you aim for a block a minute and give the miner that found it 5 BTC instead of 50 for finding one, on average, every 10 minutes?

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2011, 03:59:52 AM

There is a trade off between speed and wasted work from network latency. If you have a new block every minute and it takes 10 seconds to propagate the fact of a new block then ~16.6% of work miners do will be wasted. With ten minute blocks it's more like 1.6%.

edit: another way to say is that 16.6% of blocks found would end up orphaned because they were found after another valid block.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 04:09:15 AM

Why a block every 10 minutes?

I'm sure this was discussed extensively when the protocol was first established and on this forum more than once, but I can't find anything on the reasoning.

On the surface, it seems to me if you are trying to create a global currency, then limiting any exchange of that currency to an average of once every 10 minutes seems like an artificial restriction on trade, and with some blocks I've seen a wait of over an hour until the the next.

I'm certain that it must have something to do with trust and preventing double-spending, but I would love to have that made more explicit.
Network latency. Honestly, I heard that it was just an arbitrary number that they picked.

What breaks if you aim for a block a minute and give the miner that found it 5 BTC instead of 50 for finding one, on average, every 10 minutes?
Probably nothing. However, the only speeds that matter are <5 seconds and >5 seconds because that would be a reasonable amount of time for a person to wait when they are checking out at a grocery store, for example. Any longer and the speed doesn't matter as long as it's less than a day. Since the network latency for other big p2p projects are around 30 seconds, that's as low as we could go. Thus, 10 minutes provides the best trade-offs between latency, speed, bandwidth, and storage.

Further reading:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=4382.msg67351#msg67351

anewbie (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 04:27:11 AM

Thanks to both of you.

That makes sense.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: