Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:26:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have full details on the NXT messages prunable blockchain feature for 1.5  (Read 693 times)
box0211 (OP)

Activity: 165
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 12:21:30 AM

Was wondering does anyone have full details on how does the prunable blockchain messages work for NXT? i was thinking of using it for data storage of some sort.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 12:44:18 AM

Was wondering does anyone have full details on how does the prunable blockchain messages work for NXT? i was thinking of using it for data storage of some sort.

As far as I can tell the message will have a code with it. This code says something like "ignore this message after block xyz".  So when you are syncing with another node and you come across that specific transaction, you still see the transaction on the blockchain, but your machine just doesn't care to save the extra data of the message.

It's less of full blockchain wide pruning and more of a individual message pruning system.

Still even if it isn't really blockchain pruning in the sense we normally think of it, it is still pruning and is a first step in the war against block chain bloat, a problem being faced by all chains in crypto not just NXT.

lopalcar

Activity: 312
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:39:43 AM

As far as I can tell the message will have a code with it. This code says something like "ignore this message after block xyz".  So when you are syncing with another node and you come across that specific transaction, you still see the transaction on the blockchain, but your machine just doesn't care to save the extra data of the message.

It's less of full blockchain wide pruning and more of a individual message pruning system.

Still even if it isn't really blockchain pruning in the sense we normally think of it, it is still pruning and is a first step in the war against block chain bloat, a problem being faced by all chains in crypto not just NXT.
Yes, the thing is that you can choose to save this full messages in your local copy of the blockchain if you want (it's intended that some service providers appears with the finality of allow people recover this messages even if they have already been pruned), then, you can check that the message is correct in any other blockchain, cause the transaction, although not include the full message includes a 32byte sha256 hash of it.
You can see full information writen by Jean-luc here https://nxtforum.org/nrs-releases/nrs-v1-5-1e/
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:42:58 AM

Here's the ANN thread for the 1.5.2e client:
https://nxtforum.org/nrs-releases/nrs-v1-5-2e/
It's a good place to start and will allow you to play with prunable messages on TestNet

.......and we also have an integrated installer up for testing:
https://nxtforum.org/nrs-releases/nrs-v1-5-2e/msg174395/#msg174395

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
box0214

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 07:28:28 PM

seems that they have 1.5.5e already... seems like nxt devs are working overtime.
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 16, 2015, 11:42:24 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2015, 12:19:34 PM by Daedelus

V 1.5.8e now

And it needs more testers! There is a call for non technical users to test the testnet; your uncle, your mother your boyfriend.. everyone needs to give it a try.

https://nxtforum.org/general-discussion/%28core%29-release-or-not-release/

Using the testnet it easy (they designed it that way  Grin )

What is testnet? It is a play area for new features to be trialled and broken before going on the mainnet that we all use otherwise. It looks the same, works the same as you are used to but you get to play with the newest features before they are released  Grin

Things beginners need to know:

1) Don't use your mainnet passwords on the testnet.

2) Do not use your mainnet passwords on the testnet. Create new testnet accounts you only use on testnet, do this and you will be completely safe.

3) Put the testnet client folder in a different place to you mainnet client folder. Cos you can't have two 'nxt' folders in the same place (stop laughing please)

4) You need to edit one file. No programming skills required, just basic typing skills. Go in to the folder nxt > conf > and open nxt.default_properties in notepad.
Where it says nxt.isTestnet=false change it to nxt.isTestnet=true This tells the client to connect to testnet and not mainnet. Save the file and close.

5) This is the link to the testnet client, you can't use the mainnet one: http://localhost:6876/index.html

6) Once you have the testnet client running with a brand new testnet account set up, post you account ID here: https://nxtforum.org/testnet/some-testnxt-to-test-asset-exchange/

7) By doing step 6), you will shortly be sent some FREE TestNXT! (that aren't worth anything). So you will then have the ammunition to...

• Have a vote on the world's best bobsleigh team
  • Phase a transaction to yourself to stop you spending your pocket money until next week
  • Play with the various plugins that aren't available on mainnet yet, like NxtBubble everyone has been losing their minds over recently. Play for free
  • and more

Personally, I am going to create an MSCurrency and use it as tokens in a vote (yes, you can vote with stuff other than NXT  Grin ). If you want to take part, please post your testnet account here and I will send you a few tokens.

If I have convinced you to give it a whirl (what is the worst that could happen?), the latest testnet client is 1.5.8e and you can download it from: https://nxtforum.org/nrs-releases/nrs-v1-5-8e/

If this post is scary and frightening (understandable), then don't worry. Just ignore it and make sure you have upgraded the latest stable mainnet client (at time of writing NRS v1.4.18)

Please post any questions and I will find someone who can answer them  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: