Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 01:23:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC investment  (Read 2102 times)
LeonardoFibonacci (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 12:29:48 AM

Hi guys.

I'm a newbie, and I need some help . . .
I wanted to try invest some money in BTC, and I made a Bitstamp account and downloaded Electrum wallet.
Anyway, all this security talk really scared me, so I goggled a lot on hot vs cold storage, and making a cold wallet for me sounded a bit complicated.
I have a bit of a dilemma now. Since I plan to buy only about 2BTC for starters, Is it better for me to keep it in a cold or hot wallet?
I was reading about Bitstamp's recent breach in security so I was going for the colde wallet, but it seems a lot of hussle just for a 2btc.
Is it a really that risky to keep it on some server somewhere?

PS. Sorry for my bad English. It is my second language . . .
Smiley
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 12:37:09 AM

What do you want to do with your bitcoins? Will you be looking to trade or buy stuff with them?

The most important thing is that you control your coins. If they're on an exchange or a wallet where you don't have the private key then they're out of your control.

If you plan to hold them long term then a cold wallet is a better idea. They're simple to make.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 12:53:01 AM

If it is for a "investment" where long term storage, and you are not going to spend them.  I highly suggest cold storage.  It's just safest way.

The decision really lies if you plan on spending them and need quick access.  Or if you plan on holding.
LeonardoFibonacci (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:35:48 AM

Yes, I plan to hold on it, wait until it's price get higher and sell . . .
I've read about making a Linux bootable flash disk, but it just seems so darn complicated . . .
I have had less problems with quantum physics . . .

Anyway, I don't have a spare PC to make it my cold storage wallet, so I was trying to find some way to put it on a external media, and just put it away . . .
Is the bootable flash disk the only option?
LeonardoFibonacci (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:44:29 AM

I've just read the instruction for the 100% safe cold storage, and it is a little bit clearer . . .
But, I do have some followup questions:
1. When I generate those addresses, the Bitcoin client will generate a physical file for my wallet, and than to backup it, I just copy that file places?
2. Every time i want to put some money in my wallet, I need to boot from that flash disk?
3. How do I physically get my BTC, into my wallet, after I buy them? 
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:44:47 AM

I've read about making a Linux bootable flash disk, but it just seems so darn complicated . . .

Anyway, I don't have a spare PC to make it my cold storage wallet, so I was trying to find some way to put it on a external media, and just put it away . . .

Experiment before dismissing it. It's actually pretty straightforward to do.

I did it today to save some files and used this - http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Supported%20Puppy.htm#lucidpuppy

Download it as as ISO.

Use this to install the ISO on a USB stick as a bootable linux installation http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Plug in the USB and it should do everything else for you.

Once you're on the internet with it find bitaddress.org if you want to create a paper wallet, or download whatever wallet you want, and away you go.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:49:21 AM

I've just read the instruction for the 100% safe cold storage, and it is a little bit clearer . . .
But, I do have some followup questions:
1. When I generate those addresses, the Bitcoin client will generate a physical file for my wallet, and than to backup it, I just copy that file places?
2. Every time i want to put some money in my wallet, I need to boot from that flash disk?
3. How do I physically get my BTC, into my wallet, after I buy them?  

2 - all you need is the address created and noted down to send BTC to it. It'll arrive there without you having to start anything to receive it.

3 - exchanges and places like localbitcoins will have the coins in their wallet ready to send out to you. Put in the address you've created for yourself and send them there.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 01:49:53 AM

Look into either storing it on a few flash drives, or paper wallet.  Either one can be very effective.    Just be careful where you store them as if you lose them it can cause loss of btc if someone else uses it.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 09:10:39 AM

Hi guys.

I wanted to try invest some money in BTC, and I made a Bitstamp account and downloaded Electrum wallet.
Anyway, all this security talk really scared me, so I goggled a lot on hot vs cold storage, and making a cold wallet for me sounded a bit complicated.
I have a bit of a dilemma now. Since I plan to buy only about 2BTC for starters, Is it better for me to keep it in a cold or hot wallet?
I was reading about Bitstamp's recent breach in security so I was going for the colde wallet, but it seems a lot of hussle just for a 2btc.

Smiley

look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1uefzJJ6nM

play with little amounts before you move bigger amounts.

----

OVERVIEW: BITCOIN HARDWARE WALLETS

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

LeonardoFibonacci (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 10:20:56 AM

Just to be clear,
what do you mean by bigger amounts?
Depending on the market, for someone even a 1btc can be a lot of money . . .
:-/
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 10:38:28 AM

Just to be clear,

Maybe he's mean play/invest with little amount of your btc for the first, and then after you understand move to bigger investment(my advice is use Hardware wallet for bigger amount).
Try paper wallet for now if you cant store on cold wallet.

~iki
LeonardoFibonacci (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:05:29 PM

Ok.
This is much clearer now.
But, I still have some concerns:
1. My public address is for receiving the BTC, but what is the master for? I presume that it's for sending/spending money. That means that if I were to sell some BTC online, I need to write it on some website somewhere . . .
Isn't that a safety issue?
2. So, I have a address. If I understood correctly, it acts as a reference to my wallet. So, physically, there is no money on my cold stored wallet? It is just connected with that address? But, the master and the wallet file that I store somewhere is like a claim for my money?

Sorry for boring you guy, but it's all very abstract to me . . .
Which is really weird since I do abstract for living . . .
XD
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:14:18 PM

What do you mean by master? Do you mean the private key?

You don't need to input that into a website if you want to send. You do need to open the wallet but you do that with the password that you created with the wallet. That's separate from the private key.

To send elsewhere open your wallet, input the address you want to send it to and away it goes.

LeonardoFibonacci (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:35:41 PM

Yes, I meant the private key . . .
Sorry. I don't know why I called it a "master" . . .

Aha, so it works like this:
I go to Bitstamp, I buy some BTC, send it to my wallet and than, when I want to sell it, I open my wallet, send my BTCs to my Bitstamp account, and than sell it over there?

Am I being correct?
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:50:51 PM

You are indeed. That's all it takes.

No other individual or website should ever be given your private key and if anyone asks for it then they're guaranteed to be thieves. That's what allows them to steal your BTC even if your wallet is closed.
hugs1BTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 06:16:46 PM

Hi guys.

Smiley

Don't trust any online service. Bitcoin means freedom and it's better if you keep them yourself. Follow some tutorial here to make a cold wallet, if you want to move your bitcoins at the beginning, hot wallet is ok, just follow basic computer security.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 06:29:58 PM

Just to be clear,

of course 1 BTC is a good amount.

if you own 1 BTC, first get comfortable with BTC in general. sent 0,50 $ in BTC back and forth. create a paper wallet; copy your wallet, deleet and install it somewhere else; buy a cheap hardware wallet (35$) and use it.

in the end i would recommend the Ledger Hardware Wallet for 1 - 1,5 of your BTC. when you are not tech-savvy, you are alot safer with that device because maleware can steal your BTC !

and it is always wise not to store all your BTC at one place.

kepo07

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 06:31:57 PM

For me you better to keep on cold wallet its more safe from hot wallet  Grin
And for investment maybe you can hold it and wait the price btc rise up
You can try Gambling on dice sites or Trading on alt-coin  Grin

Every thing that you mentioned Required a lot of experience except Gambling. Because In gambling One will loose every thing What he Gambled eventually.
LeonardoFibonacci (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 11:03:50 PM

Hm . . .
Hardware wallets sound nice and simple . . .

Has anyone tried HW.1?

Trezor seems a bit pricey . . .
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 03:04:24 AM

Hm . . .
Hardware wallets sound nice and simple . . .

Has anyone tried HW.1?

Trezor seems a bit pricey . . .

If you are going for hardware wallet I would not let price be the main concern. 

If you don't like trezor look at btc wallets that can use YubiKey.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: