Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:27:57 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Is Mass Bitcoin Adoption Still Not Happening?  (Read 5773 times)
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:19:25 AM

Because it is not 'user friendly' some people have never used a credit card, or they don't have any knowledge about internet or how to use a smartphone or pc. For the moment I think bitcoin needs a real killer app... and it should be more user friendly (most important it should keep the decentralization).
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 6570

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 12:46:54 PM

Because it is not 'user friendly' some people have never used a credit card, or they don't have any knowledge about internet or how to use a smartphone or pc. For the moment I think bitcoin needs a real killer app... and it should be more user friendly (most important it should keep the decentralization).

Exactly, user-friendlyness is an important problem to solve. PC-based and also web wallets are still very hard to use for non-techies. Smartphone wallets are on a good way, but can still be improved. And security is another issue - I would still not recommend BTC to people with standard Windows PCs.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2015, 02:23:51 PM

well from my uniformed viewpoint...they just busted ONE GUY using COMPUTER TOOLS available in 2008 for making 40 million bucks from his home no less on the computer for the flash crash of 2008 (and wall street had controls at that time ...better ones now...but still)

so what do you think a WHALE on the bitcoin exchanges can do on a completely UNREGULATED wild wild west format to make fake sell walls etc (see tricks of the guy above) to show price always declining and play this again unregulated bitcoin market/exchanges down down and down on a whim..because as a huge ass whale in BTC they can?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-k-man-arrested-on-charges-tied-to-may-2010-flash-crash-1429636758

assuming things are going in the manner of what I say above and the link... has any merit of what I say ...seems to me it makes a lot more sense what is going on with BTC price

but then again I know zip (I at one time drank the BFL and KNC Kool Aid) so take anything I say with a 'block of salt"

PAYWALL

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 03:16:40 PM

PAYWALL

All you gotta do is google the byline - u-k-man-arrested-on-charges-tied-to-may-2010-flash-crash-1429636758

and you usually end up on the article minus paywall.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 03:28:45 PM

Exactly, user-friendlyness is an important problem to solve. PC-based and also web wallets are still very hard to use for non-techies. Smartphone wallets are on a good way, but can still be improved. And security is another issue - I would still not recommend BTC to people with standard Windows PCs.

I think in the future we'll not even see addresses as we see them now. It's just not intuitive having to copy paste all those long ass alphanumerical strings. I think Andreas mentioned this in some speech. Bitcoin may change a lot in the following years from now, before it goes mainstream.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 03:58:40 PM

I think in the future we'll not even see addresses as we see them now. It's just not intuitive having to copy paste all those long ass alphanumerical strings. I think Andreas mentioned this in some speech. Bitcoin may change a lot in the following years from now, before it goes mainstream.

you know that copy-pasted is not needed right? there is the adress book...you can simply choose the address by clicking on "choose previously used address", so this is a non-issue for adoption...

it strange that it doesn't work if you put only the label, this should be fixed
BitCoinMadness

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 04:08:14 PM

Mass adoption is not happening because the bitcoin price/market capitalization is too low. If and when the price gets well into the thousands of dollars, then mass adoption has a chance. The price is having a hard time going up because it's still quite difficult for the average person to buy or take a long position in.

Sorry but that's not how it works. There's more adoption now at $220 USD than there was when it was +$1000 USD.

I agree there is more adoption now at $220 (now $215-ish) than there was when it was >$1000 USD. At $1000+, price was way ahead of itself (i.e. the amount of adoption at the time). Hence, price fell. Adoption is catching up (if not already caught up) to the current $220-ish price. Increased adoption and more adoption over time will stall out at some point  (and arguably is slowing down, at least at the moment) if the price doesn't go up much from here.

The build out of the ecosystem and price go hand-in-hand, although you may not see that in the short term or even intermediate term. Price isn't the only thing, but it is a long term critical component to mass adoption. Don't kid yourself into thinking price doesn't matter.

BitCoinMadness

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 04:14:56 PM

Mass adoption probably won't happen in a way we're expecting it to happen in. I don't think that it will a regular thing to pay for your coffee or dinner using BTC. It may become a way of paying for something online, but I do see it more as a backbone technology and asset of some sort (yet to be determined).

Maybe not in America and other first world countries. But in many third world countries, it may indeed be the standard someday.
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 04:19:44 PM

Exactly! Bitcoin will stay only a valid alternative for send a large quantity of money (but also a little quantity) without spend a lot of fees.

Maybe it could be implemented a sort of alias system (like the nxt one).

you know that copy-pasted is not needed right? there is the adress book...you can simply choose the address by clicking on "choose previously used address", so this is a non-issue for adoption...

But you should copy at least one time the address before save it in the personal address-book. However the problem, like I said previously it is only based on a 'non user-friendlyness' nothing else.

mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 04:35:15 PM

This goes against the practice of avoiding address re-use.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 06:58:16 PM

Using a different address each time is advised for privacy reasons. I also think in the future, the layout of how things are done will change. What's stopping mainstream adoption is basically the fact there aren't jobs paid in BTC. For the average ignorant Joe, it's not going to be on their plans to exchange their hard earned wage for some foreign internet currency.
If you get the money directly in Bitcoin, you are more prone to get interested on it. For Bitcoin to become a legitimate currency, we need jobs that pay on it.
redsn0w
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 07:04:28 PM

Using a different address each time is advised for privacy reasons. I also think in the future, the layout of how things are done will change. What's stopping mainstream adoption is basically the fact there aren't jobs paid in BTC. For the average ignorant Joe, it's not going to be on their plans to exchange their hard earned wage for some foreign internet currency.
If you get the money directly in Bitcoin, you are more prone to get interested on it. For Bitcoin to become a legitimate currency, we need jobs that pay on it.

Basically, if bitcoin 'wants' to be a real currency I think the governments should start to accept it as currency for pay (or better receive) the taxes; but unfortunately bitcoin is decentralised so it will never go mainstream because the various govern. will not accept it as 'currency' .... instead they will ban it.
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 07:05:21 PM

You realize that if they're not going to exchange their hard earned wage for some foreign internet currency, they're not going to exchange their hard work for some foreign internet currency either, right? They'll simply not consider jobs paying bitcoin just as you won't consider working for someone who will pay you monopoly money.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:20:32 PM

Basically, if bitcoin 'wants' to be a real currency I think the governments should start to accept it as currency for pay (or better receive) the taxes; but unfortunately bitcoin is decentralised so it will never go mainstream because the various govern. will not accept it as 'currency' .... instead they will ban it.

A couple of US states have tentative plans for that very type of use right now. It's only really a vehicle for transmitting USD to them but it's still a large stamp of legitimacy.
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 01:13:32 AM

They'll simply not consider jobs paying bitcoin just as you won't consider working for someone who will pay you monopoly money.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to work for Bitcoin, I would definitely work for a fair amount of BTC. Monopoly money on the other hand can be reproduced arbitrarily and has no accepted value, thus I wouldn't work for it. But I guess I won't be able to convince you tonight Smiley

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 07:00:01 AM

Because Average Joe is ignorant prick. Anyways, mass adoption is not what will drive Bitcoin up, it's store of value and remmitances.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 07:43:02 AM

Because Average Joe is ignorant prick. Anyways, mass adoption is not what will drive Bitcoin up, it's store of value and remmitances.
remittances aren't gonna work if average joes, i.e the people who are USING the remittance don't use it.

Also, remittances aren't going to work until bitcoin price is stable. i.e it will have already gone mainstream.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:07:44 PM

Average Joe ends up using whatever the serious players and powers that be want him to use. If there's a collective will to have him ending up using BTC then he will eventually.
techgeek

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 10:12:45 PM

I still think its going at a rapid or good pace.

If you compare a system to have traction in a time period with the dollar.

Its doing more work then our current financial system, and beating golds standard as well with short period time. Not beat, but being comparable at a short span of time which most dont credit.

ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 10:25:31 PM

Well I guess it comes down how you define 'mass adoption', but in my book 'mass adoption' also includes the (at least somewhat) widespread use of Bitcoin as a store of value and use of it in remittance services.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: