Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:08:12 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Business Opportunity] Looking for a Business Partner  (Read 747 times)
armodar (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 02:20:28 AM

Hello people!

The Plan

I currently have a business plan set up in place for a, what I would call  - opportunistic business. The plan was reviewed, modified and improved by 3 people since I created it.

I will not discuss now details about the business because that would erode my chances of succesfully launching it but I will mention the basics.

The profile - Developer

I am looking for someone with some BTC/LTC experience (the more the better) that is willing to help me get this through.
He/she should have good PHP and MySql skills and also a little(the more the better) bit of understanding the litecoin/bitcoin daemons and how they work.
Other required skills are: working with a linux server and doing at least SOME layout/formatting of webpages (so HTML).

After creation - maintenances and improvements will still be needed, but by that point the workload per week should be minimal already.

Financials

On the financial side, for your help I am willing to give you a 35% share of my total net profits. The offer is not time-limited, meaning you will get 35% for as long as the business is running. This also means, the better you can do the job, the higher the potential benefits for both of us.

Sidenotes:
Because I am sure there will be talks, I will not take 65% of the profits, rather 50% - while 15% will go into advertising, long-term deposits or other investments.
Although I would much rather have someone that will set everything up in 1-2 days, I understand that people are busy so I will ask only for a few hours now and then, but of course as fast as possible so we both start generating profits:).

If you think you have what it takes and want to take a leap of faith? Please feel welcome to reply to this post with your capabilites and why would you like to work in this project!

Best regards,

Armodar
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 02:36:35 AM

You need to give more info, 35% of your buiness is meaningless uless we know what your business is. Also, how do we know this is fair unless we know your contribution?

SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 02:40:45 AM

More information please.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
armodar (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 02:56:37 AM

You need to give more info, 35% of your buiness is meaningless uless we know what your business is. Also, how do we know this is fair unless we know your contribution?

Okay,

my contribution is coming up with the whole business idea in the first place. Without the idea there are no winnings.

Secondly I have the server.

Third I will take care of calculations/optimizations - just not the implementation.

More information please.

More info is available if you sign a NDA with my organization.

As a general oppinion: this is not a job - this is a venture capital:  you have a risk factor in it. It might or might not work, but only the few that are willing to take the chance can get something ("you can only win the lottery if you play it")
CryptoFreak33

Activity: 57

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 08:43:17 AM

Hmm, I'm a programmer with all of the skills you mentioned and I'm not risk averse. I'll PM you in the morning and see if we might work together. Not willing to sign an NDA though so I hope that won't be too big of a problem.

CryptoFreak
RB26DETT

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 09:08:57 AM

Interested in NDA if market shares my interest.
Feel free to PM.
armodar (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 09:32:56 AM

Sorry if i come out harsh,

but CryptoFreak33, you said you are a business owner yourself, now how would you feel if you would get a good idea, write it down and then let it loose with no control over it?

It is nothing personal, just protecting myself from people I don't know or trust...

Just yesterday I learned my lesson not to trust people I don't know well, so - sadly, the NDA is mandatory.

But you can relax, the NDA only has to do with my idea, businessplan, sketches and so on and it is not a full fledged Industry ban, meaning you can work, develop and deploy solutions that would come in direct competition with this plan - you are just not allowed to integrate any proprietary ideas or solutions.

Again, sorry to make it so serious - but I don't know who will I deal with.
CryptoFreak33

Activity: 57

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 09:41:10 AM

Sorry if i come out harsh,

but CryptoFreak33, you said you are a business owner yourself, now how would you feel if you would get a good idea, write it down and then let it loose with no control over it?

I completely agree with you, Armodar. But, as a business owner, I know how easy it is for two people to come up with the exact same idea near the same time. Ideas are like that. I've seen a lot of friends sign NDA's and get sued because a company claimed they showed them the same thing they had been working on previous to the meeting. NDA's are risky.

As a business owner, I would always demand one. As a partner, I'd probably fight like hell never to sign one.

It is nothing personal, just protecting myself from people I don't know or trust...

Completely understood.

Just yesterday I learned my lesson not to trust people I don't know well, so - sadly, the NDA is mandatory.

But you can relax, the NDA only has to do with my idea, businessplan, sketches and so on and it is not a full fledged Industry ban, meaning you can work, develop and deploy solutions that would come in direct competition with this plan - you are just not allowed to integrate any proprietary ideas or solutions.

Ah, well that is a different story then. I could live with that.

Again, sorry to make it so serious - but I don't know who will I deal with.

No need to apologize. You should make it serious; it's your business we're talking about! If you make a bad decision and trust someone you shouldn't you bear the brunt of that. So definitely no need to explain or apologize.

I will be in touch :-)
SasQuatch

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 10:26:20 AM

I do some web programming, but I've got absolutely no idea whether I want to be involved in this. And there is no way in hell I'll sign an NDA. Honestly though, 50% is a lot for coming up with the idea. An idea is nothing unless you put the hours into developing it. As a freelancer, the people who just have the idea are some of the worst in my experience to work with. Not saying you are, but its a warning sign for me.
If your 50% includes the server, I'm sorry. But that should be in operating costs. Think of it as 20% profit to the developer (though, if you truly expect success, a flat sum paid for the work involved gives the programmer more confidence), 20% to you, and the rest into operating costs. Server, bandwidth, advertisements, support, oh shit fund, etc. If you end up with a large operating fund, you can either expand or have bonuses (to yourself or anyone operating with you).
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 10:32:13 AM

Ideas are a dime a dozen.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
armodar (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 10:44:25 AM

...50% is a lot for coming up with the idea...

Think of it as 20% profit to the developer (though, if you truly expect success, a flat sum paid for the work involved gives the programmer more confidence)

wouldn't you have liked 35% of microsoft (hey! no one knew what will happen) instead of 50.000 $ back in the 80's?

And I am sorry, but I personally would not invest any amount of work in a business where I will get a flat pay when that business can profit after my work forever. Besides think how bad it is for me: I pay a guy 100 coins (as example), he does the work and then he leaves....he has no interest in staying to further improve and work on the idea. 100 coins later, he takes off and I am where I started. I need a partner not an employee.

...the rest into operating costs. Server, bandwidth, advertisements, support, oh shit fund, etc. If you end up with a large operating fund, you can either expand or have bonuses (to yourself or anyone operating with you).

Operating costs are minimal. Although I appreciate the feedback and arguments, an internet based business has some pretty low maintenance costs.

Besides, I do not see the point of you making up some percentages to suit your individual preferences when you have no idea about what the business is all about.

I do some web programming, but I've got absolutely no idea whether I want to be involved in this. And there is no way in hell I'll sign an NDA.

Please tell me why you left this reply in the first place then? I fail to see the point.

Thank you for sharing your oppinion.  Huh
SasQuatch

Activity: 16

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 11:20:36 AM

...50% is a lot for coming up with the idea...

Think of it as 20% profit to the developer (though, if you truly expect success, a flat sum paid for the work involved gives the programmer more confidence)

wouldn't you have liked 35% of microsoft (hey! no one knew what will happen) instead of 50.000 $ back in the 80's?

And I am sorry, but I personally would not invest any amount of work in a business where I will get a flat pay when that business can profit after my work forever. Besides think how bad it is for me: I pay a guy 100 coins (as example), he does the work and then he leaves....he has no interest in staying to further improve and work on the idea. 100 coins later, he takes off and I am where I started. I need a partner not an employee.

...the rest into operating costs. Server, bandwidth, advertisements, support, oh shit fund, etc. If you end up with a large operating fund, you can either expand or have bonuses (to yourself or anyone operating with you).

Operating costs are minimal. Although I appreciate the feedback and arguments, an internet based business has some pretty low maintenance costs.

Besides, I do not see the point of you making up some percentages to suit your individual preferences when you have no idea about what the business is all about.

I do some web programming, but I've got absolutely no idea whether I want to be involved in this. And there is no way in hell I'll sign an NDA.

Please tell me why you left this reply in the first place then? I fail to see the point.

Thank you for sharing your oppinion.  Huh

As I am far too lazy to pick apart your response into well contained quotes, I'll just respond all at once.
First, I'm honestly curious as to what the idea is. That is why I responded in the first place. Like I said, I have done freelance work. As far as risk for me would be concerned, a flat fee is better for me. I'd rather get the payment and know that I'll have money in my pocket for when I need it. Sure, having 35% of Microsoft would be nice, but what about all those other ventures that didn't take off? Is your idea so incredible that it should be compared to Microsoft? Besides, how long until your idea be making returns? Adoption of whatever it may be could take a while.

Look at it this way, a flat fee is basically saying that you are willing to take the risk and a percent of profits is me taking the risk. Besides, my time is money. I would want to be assured of a return on that time, not some promises.

Your original post said you wanted this up and running in 1 or 2 days. I don't think if you had a programmer set this up in such a time frame that it would be so complicated that another couldn't be hired onto a proven business venture.

Of course I made up percentages, I don't have the knowledge of what you are doing. But I've seen many businesses fail when people underestimate the operating costs. Such large profit margins are actually a red flag. At least to me. Hell, if you feel that this has the propensity to make such profit, why are you even looking for a partner instead of learning to code yourself?

In my experience, all this usually shows that the idea hasn't been though out enough. Perhaps I could change my mind if I had more details and more information.
armodar (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 11:55:44 AM

Thank you for your balanced reply SasQuatch,

By no means I can compare my idea to microsoft, it was just an analogy for you to get what were my reasons.

I own a business in rl so I know at least to some extent how to plan my resources (but I cannot be that naive or that overconfident to say this cannot fail).

I also did not say anything about profits... please mind I only talked percentages, e.g. 50% out of 0 profit would still be 0

And as to why would I not try to code this on my own? Because i value my time far more than that: instead of me spending 10 hours on coding a single piece using google, someone else could potentially do it in 10 minutes with far more optimized code. I cannot and do not want to compete with people that do this for a living.

I respect the fact that everyone is better at something, and I would be a fool not to use people's strenghts instead of their weaknesses (thus said, my weakness in this case is coding and my strength is "seeing something happen before it happens")

Instead, i am willing to give up a (big) chunk of my profit to someone (mind you, not anyone) willing to take the chance (like the lottery, you spend, you spend, you spend - just to get that one chance in 50 million to win - just that here the chances are a lot higher and you can influence the result Smiley ).
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 12:16:57 PM

I didn't mean to discourage you, but if you cannot provide some assurances, no experienced coder is going to jump at your offer. You also need to prove you will be able to contribute meaningfully to the project to justify your 65% share. Alternatively you can put money forward.

I've got a lot of experience going through discussions like this. Execution is almost everything, esp. in information technologies.

This will only attract kids the way it's formulated.

Also, why do you choose the underlying tech if you're not going to code it?

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: