Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:11:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Define spam.  (Read 2612 times)
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 09:26:34 AM

I saw many posts which is made by looking the title but not OP. Some of them isn't considered off-topic! Huh For example, if someone wrote a problem with Android wallet, some users spam the thread with Android wallet names. One or two get deleted but not all.

This is a huge problem too.

I agree, IMHO the beginners and help section is very bad in that regard. Many posts there have page after pages of the same rephrased answer. My impression is that people read the title and (maybe) the OP and just answer without reading any of the previously given answers. Sometimes the answers are not even correct. Its very tiring to read and I have mostly given up on the section. Once a thread reaches a certain number of posts I just stop following it.

How to handle that though? Should we (or rather the mods) discourage newbies from posting by deleting their first post here just because they did not read a possibly 20 pages thread first? Most of these posts are only spam and reiteration in the context of the thread.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 09:36:02 AM

I saw many posts which is made by looking the title but not OP. Some of them isn't considered off-topic! Huh For example, if someone wrote a problem with Android wallet, some users spam the thread with Android wallet names. One or two get deleted but not all.

I agree, IMHO the beginners and help section is very bad in that regard. Many posts there have page after pages of the same rephrased answer. My impression is that people read the title and (maybe) the OP and just answer without reading any of the previously given answers. Sometimes the answers are not even correct. Its very tiring to read and I have mostly given up on the section. Once a thread reaches a certain number of posts I just stop following it.

How to handle that though? Should we (or rather the mods) discourage newbies from posting by deleting their first post here just because they did not read a possibly 20 pages thread first? Most of these posts are only spam and reiteration in the context of the thread.

Normal newbies don't go to every thread in beginners & help and post a random reply, they are usually starting the threads we're talking about.

Take a look at this member for example (I don't care if it's another campaign's member, I'm just looking at spam)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=359716
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 09:49:32 AM

Normal newbies don't go to every thread in beginners & help and post a random reply, they are usually starting the threads we're talking about.

Take a look at this member for example (I don't care if it's another campaign's member, I'm just looking at spam)

I looked his/her posts. You are right.

See this for instance:

Any client will reject that address & transaction won't happen
In case the client make that transaction, any network will reject it

So, there won't be any problem

The question is already answered there, obviously a few times. I don't even understand how the bolded part can be true. Undecided

P.S. Although this is a discussion forum, not a Q & A type forum(eg:- Stackexchange), there should be an option to mark a post as answer and locked when it is done. It will reduce spam.

ndnh (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1005

New Decentralized Nuclear Hobbit

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 11:34:44 AM

I looked his/her posts. You are right.

See this for instance:

Any client will reject that address & transaction won't happen
In case the client make that transaction, any network will reject it

So, there won't be any problem

The question is already answered there, obviously a few times. I don't even understand how the bolded part can be true. Undecided

P.S. Although this is a discussion forum, not a Q & A type forum(eg:- Stackexchange), there should be an option to mark a post as answer and locked when it is done. It will reduce spam.

Noted.

Thanks to marcotheminer for reporting him. Smiley
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 11:43:17 AM

Decided to make this happen:

From this moment on: Meta, auctions, politics & society do not count towards a user's post count. This will last until the start of the new campaign, when things will change. (1 or 2 weeks from now).

This big change was brought by the large increase in spam.

Beginners & help may soon be excluded too, if posters do not improve.

If you spam, or post unneeded replies, you will be kicked. End of discussion.

Please play your part in keeping this forum readable Smiley.

I hope this move will aid in the forum becoming readable again.
ndnh (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1005

New Decentralized Nuclear Hobbit

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 12:03:33 PM

Decided to make this happen:

From this moment on: Meta, auctions, politics & society do not count towards a user's post count. This will last until the start of the new campaign, when things will change. (1 or 2 weeks from now).

This big change was brought by the large increase in spam.

Beginners & help may soon be excluded too, if posters do not improve.

If you spam, or post unneeded replies, you will be kicked. End of discussion.

Please play your part in keeping this forum readable Smiley.

I hope this move will aid in the forum becoming readable again.

That might be a good move. Smiley

I was considering excluding Politics and Society for some time. Still considering..
Meta is actually irrelevant to the campaign, but most of the quality posters are posting there too. If that is excluded, lol, payouts will almost go down by 30% or so.

I had to rule out excluding Beginner's and Help though I was considering it.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 12:12:23 PM

From this moment on: Meta, auctions, politics & society do not count towards a user's post count.

I am surprised to see Meta in this list. If you feel that not enough hits are being generated from signatures in this particular board, then it is okay.
I don't think there is too much spam in Meta, unlike the other boards.
If a person spams in Meta, he would get banned very quickly.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 12:48:33 PM

From this moment on: Meta, auctions, politics & society do not count towards a user's post count.

I am surprised to see Meta in this list. If you feel that not enough hits are being generated from signatures in this particular board, then it is okay.

Meta is actually the board that is most tolerant towards bullshit of any kind. The main reason is that mods to not want to censor valid criticism on their actions that is presented in an immature way.

Removing meta from the list of boards that get you paid certainly makes sense from an advertising point of view. Meta is probably used by the same group of people with the occasional exception when someone is complaining about a mod action.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
bitboy11

Activity: 534
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 04:44:23 AM

I've been a member of many popular forums in the past. None of them ever had signature campaigns, therefore my posts which ran into the thousands on each forum were never considered as spam.

I was temporarily banned for spam on this forum and 1 other forum. However, what that forum considered as spam was posting referral links and advertising (which I did). On this forum, it seems that people aren't allowed to make "small talk" posts which I have never come across anywhere else before.

"Small talk" responses has been my usual style of conversing on forums for years unless of course there is a topic or discussion that I have a connection with where I feel the need to respond by explaining something in an in-depth manner to someone. Since this forum doesn't support that and considers it as "spam" especially once you are wearing a signature, I have resolved myself to simply posting in threads that mean something to me for example a payment processor issue that concerns me.

Even so, I got banned here for "spam" and when I asked for an explanation, random people highlighted posts such as one where I supposedly responded to a thread as if I were pretending to be a member of the site mentioned in that thread's OP. The commenter said he doubted I was actually a real member of the said site. I had to post a picture of my account to disprove him.

The point is a lot of assumptions are being made about people's intentions which are simply not true! This is why I say that you can't really assume that a person is simply posting to boost his post count.

One thing I am actually happy about with the Dadice signature campaign is that there is no minimum posting threshold required to get paid. A threshold actually encourages either spam or dilution of posts, so please don't change the current policy.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 12:15:23 AM

Meta is actually the board that is most tolerant towards bullshit of any kind. The main reason is that mods to not want to censor valid criticism on their actions that is presented in an immature way.

That may be true, but you would still be attracting attention to yourself.  Smiley
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 12:48:25 AM

That may be true, but you would still be attracting attention to yourself.  Smiley
You will attract attention to your posts in meta, yes, however the standard of something being considered a "shit post" is going to be a lot higher (or lower depending on how you look at it) for posts in meta. In other words a post needs to be a lot shittier for it to be considered insubstantial
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: