Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 09:46:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing Bitcoin  (Read 1057 times)
Bandot (OP)

Activity: 394
Merit: 250

For the watch

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 02:51:45 PM

I've got about $700 that I want to use to buy Bitcoin and hold it for the long run. I am having a hard time choosing where I want to store this coin, encrypted desktop wallet, blockchain.info, blockchain.info paper wallet, TREZOR, or something else. If I go with a TREZOR then I'll only have around $600 to spend on buying coin. What do you guys think is my best option for storing 3 Bitcoins for the long run?

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 02:59:05 PM

don't spend money for trazor, i find it not worth it, better to buy cheap usb pen drives(buy 3 of those, one never know...) and store your encrypted wallet, there

i've mine stored there as well since years and everything is good, 0 problems
Minnlo

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 03:43:28 PM

I've got about $700 that I want to use to buy Bitcoin and hold it for the long run. I am having a hard time choosing where I want to store this coin, encrypted desktop wallet, blockchain.info, blockchain.info paper wallet, TREZOR, or something else. If I go with a TREZOR then I'll only have around $600 to spend on buying coin. What do you guys think is my best option for storing 3 Bitcoins for the long run?

If I were you, I would download the bitaddress code from Github (https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org), disconnect from internet and create a new paper wallet for it. Depending on your paranoid level, you may boot from a Linux LiveCD to be sure malware doesn't affect you.

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 03:46:29 PM

If I were you, I would download the bitaddress code from Github (https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org), disconnect from internet and create a new paper wallet for it. Depending on your paranoid level, you may boot from a Linux LiveCD to be sure malware doesn't affect you.

This is what I do. The Ubuntu (Linux) CD isn't that hard to use either.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 03:48:10 PM

Simply use a cold storage wallet to store Bitcoins long-term. It is the most secure way so far. Don't store it in a wallet from coinbase or blockchain.info.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 04:30:33 PM

Although it's mostly opinion:

• Encrypted desktop wallet - No
  • blockchain.info - No
  • blockchain.info paper wallet - Wasn't aware they did paper wallets, but since you have to be online for it, no.
  • TREZOR - no comment

Personally, my favorite method is generating a paper wallet OFFLINE and store your coins there.
Sometimes I'll use bitaddress (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43496.0) the RNG seems pretty reliable with the tracking cursor movement for extra entropy. As long as done all offline and you keep backups it should be very safe.

Enzyme

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 04:31:55 PM

Follow reply 1, although do all this on an Ubuntu live CD.
Dr. Pepper

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 04:36:00 PM

Blockchain is fine and great for day to day usage but I wouldn't recommend it for long-term storage. I also don't think you need to spend money on buying an expensive hardware wallet like trezor. I think the best solution would be a lite desktop client like electrum or multibit. Write the wallet seed down so you can restore you wallet if you lose it and make several back ups of your wallet.dat on cd-rs and USBs. You could also write the private keys down if you want. There, you're protected numerous times in case anything goes wrong.

randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 05:43:45 PM

usb sticks do their work very well. they are quite cheap as well. that's real offline cold storage. hardware wallets are not always as good as they might look.
hugs1BTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 06:03:44 PM

I suggest you a paper wallet to protect your bitcoins. You can find some tutorials here Smiley
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1568

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 06:16:00 PM

What do you guys think is my best option for storing 3 Bitcoins for the long run?

Put them in a jar and place it on the mantle piece.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 06:24:00 PM

there are cheaper hardware wallets:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

LOBSTER

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 06:29:16 PM

Buy a Ledgerwallet or just use a paper wallet Cheesy
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 06:32:58 PM

Buy a Ledgerwallet or just use a paper wallet Cheesy

or do both and be even more safe  Smiley

Bandot (OP)

Activity: 394

For the watch

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 07:56:55 PM

I downloaded the bitaddress code, turned off wifi, opened the html file and generated a new wallet. However, in order to print the paper wallet, I have to turn my wifi back on. Isn't this a security risk?

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 08:16:39 PM

I downloaded the bitaddress code, turned off wifi, opened the html file and generated a new wallet. However, in order to print the paper wallet, I have to turn my wifi back on. Isn't this a security risk?

I've read in guides to use a an old printer that doesn't connect to wifi. The benefits of having old machines around, lol. The one I use connects with just a USB plug. But I guess some people don't have access to that.

You technically could write down the public and private keys with pen and paper, and save those. Be sure to confirm that the private key turns into the public key before using it though.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2015, 08:21:46 PM

If your printer works off of wifi, it probably also has a USB slot or a SD card input?
Try taking a screen shot of your generated address, put it on a USB stick or SD card and then stick it in your printer and print.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2015, 07:42:46 AM

If your printer works off of wifi, it probably also has a USB slot or a SD card input?
Try taking a screen shot of your generated address, put it on a USB stick or SD card and then stick it in your printer and print.

Why connect USB to a computer? Connect USB directly to a printer and print a Bitcoin address with Mycelium Entropy. https://mycelium.com/entropy

Aggressor66

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 09:06:24 AM

Paper wallets serve as a high protection from hackers. Owning a Bitcoin paper wallet means you are an absolute owner of Bitcoins, which can be “unlocked” by a private key. Thereby, no third parties are involved into the process of keeping your funds and you are fully independent from any service, website, app or even your PC, which can be hacked as well. 
ianferns

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 10:18:23 AM

don't spend money for trazor, i find it not worth it, better to buy cheap usb pen drives(buy 3 of those, one never know...) and store your encrypted wallet, there

i've mine stored there as well since years and everything is good, 0 problems

Trezor is anytime worth for amounts over 1 BTC, however yeah right now, spending half a bitcoin, just to store may not look worth.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: