Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:51:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Search Volume as a Forecasting Indicator  (Read 4651 times)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2012, 10:23:17 PM

That graph is always one day behind, todays result should be available tomorrow.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2012, 10:24:05 PM

can someone update that google search graph after today's Romney Effect?

I tried to check today's activity but google doesn't show today's results?

http://www.google.com/trends/?q=bitcoin&ctab=0&geo=all&date=mtd&sort=0

I think the price rising is what is causing more Google searches, and not the other way around...

Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 10:25:02 PM

I think the price rising is what is causing more Google searches, and not the other way around...

You don't think that they are intertwined?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 02:41:52 AM

I do, But, Price effects Google searches, Google searches do not effect price

Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:17:56 AM

Google searches= more people understand bitcoin= more people buy bitcoin= less supply= higher price?

If it wasn't for my google search, I would have never bought any bitcoins, and as a result the price would be a fraction lower.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 03:26:44 AM

Google searches= more people understand bitcoin= more people buy bitcoin= less supply= higher price?

If it wasn't for my google search, I would have never bought any bitcoins, and as a result the price would be a fraction lower.

I see your point,

but you can imagine that when price is rising fast people search up bitcoin on Google a bit more.

I guess its abit of both, and Google searchers and bitcoin price truly are intertwined

niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 03:53:22 AM

If you look at the graphs, you'll find that most of data clearly shows that changes in price do not follow changes in search volume, but it's the other way around. Increase in price usually predicts future increase in the search volume. I know it sounds stupid and boring, but that's the fact so far.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 07:40:55 AM

If you look at the graphs, you'll find that most of data clearly shows that changes in price do not follow changes in search volume, but it's the other way around. Increase in price usually predicts future increase in the search volume. I know it sounds stupid and boring, but that's the fact so far.

+1. this is exactly the way it works.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 08:44:56 AM

That news is so big time. The BitInstant Debit card was the biggest news since Silk Road but this is something that could actually rival Silk Road press if there are further developments.

The interesting thing is that Bitcoin is actually the perfect currency for accepting ransom money. Accept cash and risk a meetup of some sort? Accept a bank transfer and risk being traced? A check? Everything else sucks compared to bitcoins.

There we have it, the new big thing for Bitcoin. Ransoms!

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 08:53:34 PM

@ myself: Do you know what blogs (number, area of interest, language, networks,..) are actually searched? Cant find any info on the page.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 08:55:48 PM

http://trend.icerocket.com/trend?query1=bitcoin&days=30

http://trend.icerocket.com/trend?query1=bitcoin&label1=&query2=&label2=&query3=&label3=&query4=&label4=&query5=&label5=&days=90
there u have the romney effect

bitcoin   26.50   0.0018   795
EURUSD   63.17   0.0042   1,895
cryptocurrency   0.63   0.0000   19
USDJPY   38.30   0.0025   1,149
alternative currency   30.13   0.0020   904
http://trend.icerocket.com/trend?query1=bitcoin&label1=&query2=EURUSD&label2=&query3=cryptocurrency&label3=&query4=USDJPY&label4=&query5=alternative+currency&label5=&days=30

superb!  up we go!
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 09:12:29 PM

The Romney effect is starting to reach EPIC levels. Multiple mentions of Bitcoin on CNN TV. On top of that we have this article: http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/06/politics/romney-tax-threat/index.html

Multiple paragraphs on Bitcoin. Already 4000 comments. It's time to post the rocket pictures, truly.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2012, 09:23:40 PM

YES exactly. Thanks for pointing this out. Tired of the ol' physics argument... it doesn't work for markets

That is how it worked in the past. But if a big media 'event' is sudden it can hit before corresponding price increase imo.

Also if the news is about the price increase it has to come after the increase and that's what a lot of the news was last time we had a ton of news.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:30:00 PM

YES exactly. Thanks for pointing this out. Tired of the ol' physics argument... it doesn't work for markets

That is how it worked in the past. But if a big media 'event' is sudden it can hit before corresponding price increase imo.

Also if the news is about the price increase it has to come after the increase and that's what a lot of the news was last time we had a ton of news.

yes, there are no hard and fast rules.  these relationships can change.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:35:09 PM

According to that graph, EURUSD and USDJPY seem to tank in mention on the weekends.
niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 10:53:03 PM

yes, there are no hard and fast rules.  these relationships can change.
Yes, and yes. That is why I included the cautionary "so far" in my conclusion.
Just hope that this thread will dispel the myth of increased search volume as a generally bullish sign. So far that has not been the case.
If we believe this busted myth, people will start buying in anticipation, thereby raising the price - a rather silly self-fulfilling prophecy that always fails in the long run (unless the fundamentals change in the meantime - completely unrelated).

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: