Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:23:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FPGA MINING?  (Read 3084 times)
strideynet (OP)

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 02:24:06 PM

i am interested in it but really want to find one with the shortest break even!
This one wasnt too bad
http://fpgamining.com/     400 megahash/s at 17.2 watts and it cost like $580.0 and my power per kilowatt hr is 13pence so it worked out at £20.16 to power it 24/7.
But after working it out it looked liek it might take time to break even at it roughly earning 0.5550 bitcoin a day!

SO anyone got a good fpga that didnt take long to break even!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jasoncol

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 04:54:01 PM

Maybe you should check this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Butterfly-Labs-Bitforce-BFL-Jalapeno-Pre-Order-3-5Gh-s-Bitcoin-Miner-ASIC-/251137750996?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a78f9f7d4#ht_730wt_1141 . Looks promising. Still in preorder stage though.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 05:00:28 PM

Unfortunately if Bitcoin changes significantly, the ASICs could be rendered useless. They're dedicated mining units, so they're only good for mining.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 05:03:18 PM

i am interested in it but really want to find one with the shortest break even!
This one wasnt too bad
http://fpgamining.com/     400 megahash/s at 17.2 watts and it cost like $580.0 and my power per kilowatt hr is 13pence so it worked out at £20.16 to power it 24/7.
But after working it out it looked liek it might take time to break even at it roughly earning 0.5550 bitcoin a day!

SO anyone got a good fpga that didnt take long to break even!

Break even times for hardware are usually between 1-4 years. FPGAs take longer, GPUs still have a bit better Mh/$ ratio but require more power. You may wait for asics to come out. People are working on it: e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0

The numbers are way of. Someone is preying on people's money...

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
midnight

Activity: 19

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 06:41:47 PM

Yes break even for fpga can be a little long. New technology usually comes at a price, but the benefit is they use ALOT less power for the same hash. Some are even more user friendly than gpu's. So i believe in the long run fpga is worth the initial cost.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 07:35:38 PM

Unfortunately if Bitcoin changes significantly, the ASICs could be rendered useless. They're dedicated mining units, so they're only good for mining.
It's very very very unlikely that the mining will change

nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 08:50:30 PM

I love how they are upcharging for the preorder and somone actually bought it...
dunrob

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 12:27:35 AM

Mining will change. Trust me. The asics will become useless. GPU mining is the way to do it. If those things will make 300$ proffit a month they wil change the code. Bitcoin's will loose their value if the asics take it over. They won't let this happen. Remember what is said!
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 02:18:51 AM

Mining will change. Trust me. The asics will become useless. GPU mining is the way to do it. If those things will make 300$ proffit a month they wil change the code. Bitcoin's will loose their value if the asics take it over. They won't let this happen. Remember what is said!

Huh?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 02:29:36 AM

there is so much mis-information on this thread it is absolutely ridiculous.

Currently the most efficient way to mine Bitcoins is with an FPGA device, however the release of ASIC's is coming soon and they will be far superior to current FPGA devices.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 03:32:26 AM

Are you thick or what?HuhHuhHuhHuh?

ASIC will be the SAVIOR of Bitcoin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No longer will it be easy or cheap to 51% the network,ever!!!!!!!!!!! With possibly 80 TH at least coming by december,it will be extremly hard to do  Grin

ASIC's will & are CHEAPER than vid cards,no more tweaking core/mem/voltage or driver updates or expensive mobo's,heat will not be as big a problem either.

Alot less power consumption,10x less at least.............................

Flame on  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 03:40:30 AM

lol, do you end every post with "flame on?"
strideynet (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 06:26:27 AM

Oh yes so the core coders are gonan change the entire way mining works which will take a load of effort and
In turn reduce the security of the network. The developers want us to mine the more the better. They wouldn't kill off a like half of the networks power! And then all the clients would have to update....
And that means everyone with a fpga wouldn't update and I don't think others would too!
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 07:51:20 AM

lol, do you end every post with "flame on?"

Why,yes I do................I know its coming & I love it  Grin

I'm ready,fire it up    Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
strideynet (OP)

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 05:38:36 PM

Temp climbing. 100 degrees. 500 ..... 1000
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 06:15:30 PM

Bullshit. Stop spreading fud.

Lethos

Activity: 476

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2012, 06:26:22 PM

The only thing that will change any time soon and is always changing is difficulty, to maintain that blocks are not solved too quickly, by the network in general as I understand it.

Adir

Activity: 18

View Profile
August 29, 2012, 09:38:23 PM

What's the difference between the FPGAs and the new ASICs that makes them so much cheaper?
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 02:09:37 AM

What's the difference between the FPGAs and the new ASICs that makes them so much cheaper?

FPGAs are generic logic devices.  You essentially program the interconnections between logic gates to build whatever device you need, and when you need it to become something else, you flush it out and dump in new code.

ASICs are fixed.  The cheapest ones are pretty similar in structure to an FPGA, but with permanent connections instead of make/break links.  Because the links are permanent, the chips are faster and less expensive per unit (assuming a medium-ish production run, there are still plenty of setup costs.  I think someone posted quotes that went up from around $200,000 not long ago.)

More expensive is to go all the way down to directly building the exact gates that you need in an optimized layout.  This is pretty much identical to how mass production chips are made, where the designer (or the compiler more likely) has full control over the physical structure.  That enables much higher performance, but with insane setup costs.  For a complex chip, you need a very large production run to amortize the costs.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
MadHZ

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 11:00:43 AM

this is seems to be a some bit of scam. why not to order direcly from BFL... 6000 orders is NOTHING for the ASIC production....
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: