Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:01:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paying a dentist using Bitcoins  (Read 3913 times)
MXRider (OP)

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 04:38:42 PM

http://meidanklinikka.fi/

As you can see from the frontpage, they accept Bitcoins! This is awesome. One can now use Bitcoins to pay for a dentist. Unfortunately this is in  Helsinki, Finland so the number of users is limited to finnish bitcoiners.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 04:39:05 PM

That's awesome.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 04:48:41 PM

Bitcoin is evolving pretty well in Finland, Finland is always on the top on google trends etc.

Also recently there was a short TV spot about Bitcoin in Finnish TV. In the spot Chief Officer of Finnish central bank stated that it is perfectly legal to use bitcoins. That should improve some confidence Smiley

apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 05:19:22 PM

In the spot Chief Officer of Finnish central bank stated that it is perfectly legal to use bitcoins. That should improve some confidence Smiley

wow. i would really like to see that clip, even if its in finnish.the word of a head of central bank has some weight.
labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 05:39:22 PM

In the spot Chief Officer of Finnish central bank stated that it is perfectly legal to use bitcoins. That should improve some confidence Smiley

wow. i would really like to see that clip, even if its in finnish.the word of a head of central bank has some weight.

It was a spokeperson of the finish central bank, not the head. Still impressive !
Here's the link

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 05:55:18 PM

It was a spokeperson of the finish central bank, not the head. Still impressive !
Here's the link

Well, direct translation would be "chief officer" but maybe it would be more like "chief secretary"... Probably not the head, but important person anyway Smiley

acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 06:12:17 PM

That's awesome.

Linux also = awesome

Bitcoin = awesome

Bitcoin = awesome in Finland (Vegemesta restaurant in Helsinki accepting Bitcoin)

Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux is from Finland.

Hmm.. What is it about Finland?
niko

Activity: 756

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 06:18:49 PM

That's awesome.

Linux also = awesome

Bitcoin = awesome

Bitcoin = awesome in Finland

Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux is from Finland.

They drink a lot. It is well known that alcohol kills the weakest and slowest brain cells first, and one can only think as fast as his slowest cells can.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 06:26:04 PM

It's cold as hell; un-awesome Finish ancestors probably died off.

Anyway I think larger transactions might be some of the first where BTC is used and not as some might expect your daily purchases.
It is simply easier to convince people to use something new if the amount is bigger and not that often.

This means dentists, rent, cars, paycheck and maybe your food if you make a monthly/exclusive deal with one vendor. Usually this also means smaller more flexible businesses and not big hospitals, banks or super markets.

BTC/fiat conversion is still pricey at ~10% so if BTC has become your new bank account there is a strong incentive to replace the currency  of even a few of your bills.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 07:10:02 PM

They drink a lot. It is well known that alcohol kills the weakest and slowest brain cells first, and one can only think as fast as his slowest cells can.

I'll drink to that!

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 07:32:19 PM

I'll drink to that!

See I smoke good cause it goes good wit dem flows - Outkast

See I drink good cause it goes good wit dem codes - Linus Torvalds
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 07:56:54 PM

BTC/fiat conversion is still pricey at ~10% so if BTC has become your new bank account there is a strong incentive to replace the currency  of even a few of your bills.

10%? What?

Our Finnish exchange, for example, has 2% fees. As far as I know it's the cheapest local exchange anywhere, usually the fees are 5%+. On top of that we use multiple exchanges to get the best price possible.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 07:58:56 PM

I will write an article on this soon, with both Finnish and English info. This is the first dentist office in the world to accept bitcoins for payment. Our joint program with Bitpay is just getting started.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 08:54:12 PM

I will write an article on this soon, with both Finnish and English info. This is the first dentist office in the world to accept bitcoins for payment. Our joint program with Bitpay is just getting started.

Looking forward to that.

Was this someone you had talked to personally (and persuaded to take bitcoin as payment)?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 10:05:59 PM

Was this someone you had talked to personally (and persuaded to take bitcoin as payment)?

Well, sort of. They approached us thanks to the large publicity that Bitcoin has been getting in Finland lately. We met on Thursday and I showed them how it works. We immediately opened a Bitpay account and the next day they announced that they are accepting Bitcoin payments. It's actually amazing how fast it's possible to start accepting bitcoins as payment.

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2012, 10:06:44 PM

Here is the article. It's written both in Finnish and English.

https://bittiraha.fi/content/nyt-voit-käydä-hammaslääkärissä-ja-maksaa-bitcoineilla

niko

Activity: 756

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 10:20:48 PM

Sooner or later a Bitcoin traveller covered under private insurance will get their service here and pay with bitcoins. It'll be interesting to see how the reimbursement works out. Long time ago someone claimed on this forum that they had some goods paid for in btc and shipped to Greece or Cyprus, with btc-denominated invoice. Customs clerks looked it up, found out the exchange rate, and everything went smoothly, like with any other currency.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Realpra

Activity: 815

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 06:13:08 AM

10%? What?

Our Finnish exchange, for example, has 2% fees. As far as I know it's the cheapest local exchange anywhere, usually the fees are 5%+. On top of that we use multiple exchanges to get the best price possible.
Obviously there are differences from country to country.

I had to pay around 9.6% to move funds into mtgox using a SEPA transaction and then into BTC. That took around 2 weeks.

Recently I used Bitcoin Nordic who charge 9% and are faster. So yeah things are improving, but I think for many BTC/fiat conversion is costly.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 12:19:34 PM

Just wanted to chime in on the awesomeness of Finland. I've worked with some finns, they were awesome, Linus Torvalds is awesome, and they have great metal bands and now they're embracing bitcoins. Awesome. Perhaps I should move there! Smiley
Blind

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 01:34:14 PM

Just wanted to chime in on the awesomeness of Finland. I've worked with some finns, they were awesome, Linus Torvalds is awesome, and they have great metal bands and now they're embracing bitcoins. Awesome. Perhaps I should move there! Smiley

Check the weather before you do Wink

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: