Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 08:39:49 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shorts on Bitfinex at a all time high!  (Read 9837 times)
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:29:20 PM

Short on ATH is a good thing isn't it?

Means they will need to buy them back sooner or later.

ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:37:35 PM

Short % of Float

Bitcoin: 0.2%
Altria: 0.70%
Apple: 1.10%
Citigroup: 1.10%
Kraft Foods: 1.60%
Freeport-McMoRan: 5.30%
AT&T: 6.20%

Most informative post I've read on Bitcointalk in ages. I had no idea so many people were shorting Apple! Where did you get this info?

Yeah I was surprised by this, as well. I think people may be using a relatively low margin. I suspect AAPL to be quite overvalued for some time, already. Their rise just doesn't seem reasonable, especially concerning their quality apparently declining over the last couple of years. Sad
Apple is flying at the moment, the iPhone6 and 6+ sold massively moving them to a whole new level.
If I was going to short apple, it would be due to the apple watch, along with a lack of any new product in the last 5 years (other than the rubbish watch!)

Bitcoin shorting is a lot more dangerous than shorting apple though, the % swings in Apple are tiny in comparison to a big bitcoin move day!

Yeah I know their products are selling very well, everyone claims that their next release is going to fail again the number exceed the supply customers have to wait four weeks until their product arrives. I also have my doubts about the watch but it seems to so pretty decently.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
ensurance982

Trust me!

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:41:12 PM

Short % of Float

Bitcoin: 0.2%
Altria: 0.70%
Apple: 1.10%
Citigroup: 1.10%
Kraft Foods: 1.60%
Freeport-McMoRan: 5.30%
AT&T: 6.20%

Most informative post I've read on Bitcointalk in ages. I had no idea so many people were shorting Apple! Where did you get this info?

Yeah I was surprised by this, as well. I think people may be using a relatively low margin. I suspect AAPL to be quite overvalued for some time, already. Their rise just doesn't seem reasonable, especially concerning their quality apparently declining over the last couple of years. Sad

Sorry for ignoring the questions about my source.  I don't check these threads often.

I get this data from the "Key Statistics" in a Yahoo Finance quote: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=AAPL+Key+Statistics

Lots of information can be gathered there.  You would be wise to check the debt amounts and return on assets amongst other things before investing in any stock.

As far as people saying that Apple is heavily shorted, if you look at the info provided, you'll see that Apple is actually not shorted very much.  1.1% is in line, or below what you would expect from a stock.  Freeport-McMoRan on the other hand, is being heavily shorted as sellers take advantage of falling crude prices.  Altria has a ridiculously low short % at 0.7% and Bitcoin's short % by comparison to stocks is outrageously low.  That was the point of my post.  I think we could see the short float go up by as much as 10x before it gets to point when it becomes dangerous.  I wouldn't think we'd see a true to the moon short squeeze unless we had a float of around 5%, or about 25x what it is currently...  However, this is assuming that bitfinex is the only place to short Bitcoin.  I suspect there are many other sites offering this as well, so it is quite possible the true Bitcoin short % of the float could be much higher, especially if you take into account the "lost bitcoins" that surely exist in high numbers.  Most regular people I send BTC to end up saying they deleted their wallet after not wanting to use Bitcoin anymore.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "it was only a couple dollars" as the reason why they didn't bother doing anything with the BTC before abandoning it.

That being said, Bitcoin is a little different, much more rare, harder to track, & less shorted due to it's nature.  In comparison to stocks, we have a long way to go if these numbers are accurate before a short squeeze is even a thought.  In comparison to other digital currencies  Huh  who knows.  Time will tell the story.

TL;DR

Only god knows how many BTC are truly in circulation or how many different sites allow shorting them, but a good guess is that short sellers aren't in the danger zone yet.

Wow, you really seem to know what you're talking about. I'm really new to all these things. But I really like to get to know more. You are saying that the shorts of Bitcoin are quite low in comparison? I think we have to consider that not all kinds are on the exchanges a lot of them are in cold storage, isn't that right?

nrd525
Legendary

Activity: 1867
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 10:07:16 PM

The 0.2% short of the total market value of Bitcoin isn't anywhere near true (unless futures are excluded - and if they are excluded, what is the reason for that?).  A lot of the shorting is on OkCoin futures.

What do these statistics mean?  How many bitcoins are being shorted at OkCoin?
https://www.okcoin.com/future/market.do?symbol=0

Digital Gold for Gamblers and True Believers
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 10:12:05 PM

The 0.2% short of the total market value of Bitcoin isn't anywhere near true (unless futures are excluded - and if they are excluded, what is the reason for that?).  A lot of the shorting is on OkCoin futures.

What do these statistics mean?  How many bitcoins are being shorted at OkCoin?
https://www.okcoin.com/future/market.do?symbol=0

There is no real way to know
nrd525
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 10:14:33 PM

Isn't there also a page that shows the positions of the top 20 or so okcoin future traders?  That would give you a baseline estimate.

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 10:21:28 PM

It is quite interesting to see how the bears are still optimistic. There is already a ton of shorts open and the price isn't crashing any further, a few days ago someone even got margin-called for quite a big sum of $4 million. I think it is highly dangerous to be in the game at this point of time, especially on leverage.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
nrd525
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 03:48:05 AM

If this one person was shorting 13,000 bitcoin in OkCoin - it is likely that the total amount is at least 50,000
http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/33eepx/okcoin_futures_largest_contract_holder_margin/

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1248

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2015, 04:55:22 AM

Breath of fresh air for the shorts.... https://blockchain.info/tx/97facbd7e07c4f3140d9ea167c2e54d85bc5f6fd04d9774d80b1284b706920ff

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
srgkrgkj
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:22:11 AM

Tongue that guy lost around 300k from the falling bitcoin price Tongue shorts are going crazy as usual lol Tongue

minerpumpkin

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 04:56:23 PM

Tongue that guy lost around 300k from the falling bitcoin price Tongue shorts are going crazy as usual lol Tongue

How do you know that this transaction is from the guy who got his short margin called? I believe it is just some random big transaction we don't really know the source of. Sure, it could be some early adopter cashing out, but it could just be an exchange shifting around some money.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:21:09 PM

How do you know that this transaction is from the guy who got his short margin called? I believe it is just some random big transaction we don't really know the source of. Sure, it could be some early adopter cashing out, but it could just be an exchange shifting around some money.

or: someone with a huge wallet moved 101 BTC.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
minerpumpkin

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:28:38 PM

Interesting. I only now see that the assumed amount if BTC actually transacted is at 101 BTC. I've seen this metric being off a few times with transactions of my own. Is the algorithm behind this figure known? It's always great to read all the wild theories people develop when such a big transaction occurs from time to time. Cheesy

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 07:17:40 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2015, 06:19:21 AM by molecular

Interesting. I only now see that the assumed amount if BTC actually transacted is at 101 BTC. I've seen this metric being off a few times with transactions of my own. Is the algorithm behind this figure known? It's always great to read all the wild theories people develop when such a big transaction occurs from time to time. Cheesy

I bet part of the metric is the precision of the output amounts. High precision amounts have higher likelyhood of being the change output. 101 has much higher lower precision than 69,471.082201.

EDIT: fixed higher/lower mixup

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 10:28:29 PM

Thats what you get when you want to scalp the BTC price. Is best to hold and let time pass for at least a month before making the next move. All these "this is how to daytrade BTC" guys seem like scammers to me. Who has done solid gains day trading BTC? im yet to see that.
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 12:30:47 AM

Thats what you get when you want to scalp the BTC price. Is best to hold and let time pass for at least a month before making the next move. All these "this is how to daytrade BTC" guys seem like scammers to me. Who has done solid gains day trading BTC? im yet to see that.

With leverage you can, but it depends how much the market moves.

If your leverage trading on Bitfinex it makes more sense in holding positions longer since it's 3:1, but if your on other platforms such as Okcoin where your using 20:1 it doesn't make sense in holding positions for that long.  Very rarely you can get into a position and not worry for a bit. 
minerpumpkin

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 09:31:04 PM

I bet part of the metric is the precision of the output amounts. High precision amounts have higher likelyhood of being the change output. 101 has much higher precision than 69,471.082201.

Ah yes, that makes actually a lot of sense! I unfortunately can't quite remember the transaction where blockchain.info mis-guessed the amount if was transferring. Still interesting to see what this transaction may have accomplished for the owner of the address... maybe cashing out 101 BTC? Cheesy

ensurance982

Trust me!

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 10:01:53 PM

If this one person was shorting 13,000 bitcoin in OkCoin - it is likely that the total amount is at least 50,000
http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/33eepx/okcoin_futures_largest_contract_holder_margin/

Isn't it effectively suicide to play with such big sums in a market that's barely liquid enough to support those huge shorts? I mean, his stop seemed a bit poorly placed, if this rather small move has cost him that much! Can't imagine losing that much money!

Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 10:16:01 PM

Isn't it effectively suicide to play with such big sums in a market that's barely liquid enough to support those huge shorts? I mean, his stop seemed a bit poorly placed, if this rather small move has cost him that much! Can't imagine losing that much money!
Dude is either a retarded greedy bastard that is flat out stupid, making moves w/ inside knowledge or using play money.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 10:21:04 PM

Or not a real trading account..
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: