Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:26:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shorts on Bitfinex at a all time high!  (Read 9833 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 06:14:49 AM

I would certainly avoid an exchange that shows my stops to others. Yes, we need to make sure that exchanges don't profit on this information, but going all public is not a solution IMO.

If an exchange started doing that you could still manually initiate a buy/sell at a certain price using their API - so that information would provide some new insights, but not the full picture of how people are trading.
I could. But I wouldn't Smiley I'd better go anywhere else.

To be honest: I think people decide which exchange they go to based on ease of getting fiat in/out and most importantly liquidity present on the books.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 11:37:36 AM

I would certainly avoid an exchange that shows my stops to others. Yes, we need to make sure that exchanges don't profit on this information, but going all public is not a solution IMO.

If an exchange started doing that you could still manually initiate a buy/sell at a certain price using their API - so that information would provide some new insights, but not the full picture of how people are trading.

To be honest: I think people decide which exchange they go to based on ease of getting fiat in/out and most importantly liquidity present on the books.

That's at least partially true. But it's more applicable to whales I guess. Small fish like me can choose more loosely. E.g I prefer o trade on BTC-e despite that liquidily is much better on BFX.
And how would you want to do that?

Maybe one option would be to have the exchange not offer stop orders at all. People would use bots for that, so neither the public nor the exchange knows about the stop.
I don't know, to be honest. But how do you get rid of stops at BTC-e with MetaTrader4? I don't think it's possible.
And what about margin call levels and stop-outs? Even if you don't use stops, you can be wiped out (by an exchange too) when using leverage.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 08:09:18 PM

That's at least partially true. But it's more applicable to whales I guess. Small fish like me can choose more loosely. E.g I prefer o trade on BTC-e despite that liquidily is much better on BFX.
And how would you want to do that?

Maybe one option would be to have the exchange not offer stop orders at all. People would use bots for that, so neither the public nor the exchange knows about the stop.
I don't know, to be honest. But how do you get rid of stops at BTC-e with MetaTrader4? I don't think it's possible.
And what about margin call levels and stop-outs? Even if you don't use stops, you can be wiped out (by an exchange too) when using leverage.

I don't know metatrader4. Assuming it's an app using btc-e api? I don't want to get rid of stops, I just want to remove the exchanges knowledge about it.

Margin call levels are harder. I have no viable idea on how to hide that info from the exchange. Lender/trader would have to manage stuff themselves, but I know of no trustless way to do that.

What are stop-outs?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
RoadTrain
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2015, 09:38:15 PM

I don't know metatrader4. Assuming it's an app using btc-e api? I don't want to get rid of stops, I just want to remove the exchanges knowledge about it.

Margin call levels are harder. I have no viable idea on how to hide that info from the exchange. Lender/trader would have to manage stuff themselves, but I know of no trustless way to do that.

What are stop-outs?
That's a problem because MT4 doesn't use btc-e api. It's a separate trading platform which uses btc-e as a liquidity provider. It's mostly used for leveraged trading, so stops and margin calls are essential.

Stop-out is when your position is automatically liquidated after you fail to provide additional collateral while being margin called.

IIRC margin call level for BTC-e/MT4 is 30% while stop out is 15%.
peeveepee

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 05:30:40 AM

Alot of the shorts are also mining farms that sell un-mined BTC ahead of time to protect their investment against a price crash.

Hope these miners have enough liquidity. Cascading margin call can make them lose money even if they are totally hedged.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 02:25:42 PM

What are stop-outs?
That's a problem because MT4 doesn't use btc-e api. It's a separate trading platform which uses btc-e as a liquidity provider. It's mostly used for leveraged trading, so stops and margin calls are essential.

Stop-out is when your position is automatically liquidated after you fail to provide additional collateral while being margin called.

So that monster spike we saw on the normal exchange was a short squeeze in the btc-e MT4 engine?
RoadTrain
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 02:46:53 PM

What are stop-outs?

So that monster spike we saw on the normal exchange was a short squeeze in the btc-e MT4 engine?
Quite the contrary. It most likely was market buying on the exchange directly, because in MT4 the peak was ~244 while on the exchange it was ~270, so it wasn't really short squeeze.
That's because MT4 has its own internal orderbook on top of BTC-e orderbook, internal is used first.
lovekaze

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 02:49:35 PM

Odds are good that the price will go up.

It didn't go up which doesn't mean the odds were not good that the price went up Wink
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2015, 03:18:37 PM

Well shorts are down to 26K, an 8K drop since the ATH on April 27th. Looks like more and more traders are starting to feel that the 17 month bear market might be coming to a close.

tooil

Activity: 181

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:07:39 PM

Well shorts are down to 26K, an 8K drop since the ATH on April 27th. Looks like more and more traders are starting to feel that the 17 month bear market might be coming to a close.

Should have been in bull by now if all these ASIC miners are selling at a loss.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 1347

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 05:19:17 PM

Look at the charts. It looks like we are recovering, we might actually be in the beginning of a bull market.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Keyara

Activity: 174

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:53:43 AM

Look at the charts. It looks like we are recovering, we might actually be in the beginning of a bull market.

So far, all the bears are fat and happy.

There will need to be some short squeeze to kill a few bears before any bull run.
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:02:38 AM

There will need to be some short squeeze to kill a few bears before any bull run.

Well said Cheesy

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 05:21:01 PM

They could just go and close their shorts, without being margin-called or their stops being hit! This is not a game of "chicken" or who can hold on to their position the longest. Many bears are actually quite smart - they don't clong to a bullish sentiment, but rather trade the market and try to make a profit, even if the price is going down. If the market changes, they change their strategy/position - it's actually not something to be ashamed of, at all!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 06:20:13 PM

Well said Cheesy

Well, there doesn't need to be one, but it sure is helping things to get on the right track Cheesy I think what we do need is some bears changing to bulls, though. There's no reason for them not to do that if the time for a bull-market has come!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
sniveling

Activity: 719
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 07:14:08 PM

They could just go and close their shorts, without being margin-called or their stops being hit! This is not a game of "chicken" or who can hold on to their position the longest. Many bears are actually quite smart - they don't clong to a bullish sentiment, but rather trade the market and try to make a profit, even if the price is going down. If the market changes, they change their strategy/position - it's actually not something to be ashamed of, at all!

It's more realistic to say someone is bearish or bullish than to call them a bear or bull. Few people are permanently one or the other.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  

Jump to: