Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:23:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Computers "Please move if in the Wrong Directory"  (Read 502 times)
nor9865 (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

If you think you know me.. Think again

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 11:10:12 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 9600 desktop computer. Every now and then it will freeze up and will not load upon manual restarting of the computer. Sometimes you have to wait 4 or 5 hours before it will actually load windows. The computer itself does power up, but does not look like it processes any software, meaning it never loads anything. Just a black screen. This only happens occasionally. I thought it was the vid card, but I have multiple vid cards, so I changed it out a few times, same issue. What could be causing this?  If you need any other info please let me know. Thanks for all the responses. Get your sig on and help me find a answer!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101_alt

Activity: 268
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 02:55:06 PM

Perhaps you have a virus on the computer. Or some piece of hardware is failing. Have you tried swapping out hard drives or booting from a live CD or live USB? If it boots quickly with a live CD or USB then your hard drive is likely failing. Otherwise you might have some motherboard issues.

Tip Me!: 1AQx99s7q1wVinbgXbA48BaZQVWpHe5gYM | My PGP Key: Fingerprint 0x17565732E08E5E41
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 02:59:57 PM

your last chance before thinking that it maybe be an HW problem, could be to do a secure erase, with a back up of everything first, if even this don't work , then is guaranteed that you have a HW problem

this is the fastest way to resolve this thing, don't waste too much time searching to find the actual problem
nor9865 (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

If you think you know me.. Think again

View Profile
April 19, 2015, 08:29:09 PM

your last chance before thinking that it maybe be an HW problem, could be to do a secure erase, with a back up of everything first, if even this don't work , then is guaranteed that you have a HW problem

this is the fastest way to resolve this thing, don't waste too much time searching to find the actual problem

Is there any way to check the motherboard on desktops to see if thats the issue? I know on certain laptops you can do somethings on startup even if the computer won't load to see if its the motherboard. Like a certain light will blink 3 times or not blink at all.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 06:21:18 AM

Is there any way to check the motherboard on desktops to see if thats the issue? I know on certain laptops you can do somethings on startup even if the computer won't load to see if its the motherboard. Like a certain light will blink 3 times or not blink at all.

some motherboard have a button for testing, but usually they are advanced MB, i don't your is one of those(they are not a part of a pre-assembled computer), you can try to clear cmos
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 07:17:08 AM

I think it's your Hard-drive, I have had similar experience in the past with a Laptop that would freeze without much load and would take a lot of time boot. And I realized that my HD was dying and I was right about that as a week later my Lappy didn't boot and error showed "No-Hard-Disc-Detected" and I am pretty sure that is the case with yours.

Be smart, take back-up of your necessary data before it dies completely and arrange for a new one.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████