Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:21:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum Bonanza (Free bitcoins!)  (Read 5712 times)
JompinDox (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 09:09:07 AM

Installed on Ubuntu 12.04

PM for the bitcoin address

NOTES:

I was just introduced to bitcoins a few weeks ago.  I was using the bitcoin-qt application on Windows 7.  But I was getting tired of switching to Windows 7 just to check the balance, plus the wait time for bitcoin-qt to re-sync with the blockchain info was frustrating, especially after not using Windows 7 for a few days.  (I didn't install bitcoind on Ubuntu, because the blockchain db is eating up space under Windows 7, and I didn't want a duplicate eating up space for Ubuntu - ie shared HD).

I tried the pre-built Electrum deb install package for amd 64 client via the website.  Well the installer dependencies are sort of wacky, and I had to manually apt-get python-twisted and "fix" the install.  After which it ran, at first it wasn't connecting to a stratum(sp?) server...then I read the forums and switched from to port 50001, then it connected. 

But then, I tried importing some keys from another wallet, and I got a "Error: keypair import failed:" with a blank reason.  Well, gosh the blank reason was weird.  Browsing git did not give me any clues.  So, I tried a few more keys, and got the same error...I gave up and downloaded the source, fired up vi added an import pdb & pdb.set_trace() call to look into things....2 hours later I figured out that the ecdsa crypto in wallet.py fairly old, and does not support compressed keys...3 hours later, I gave up on trying to update wallet.py, and just uncompressed the keys before importing them.  However, even after successfully importing the keys, the balance never updated...

I would post this to the Electrum development forum, but I don't have that right(at least for now).

Hmm.. Care to share how you actually 'uncompressed' those keys? I didn't know it was even possible.

Tips? 1ELECeJompinDox61L73eAUyaWpe3Q5HZB
Down with socks!
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2012, 02:27:24 PM

NOTES:

I was just introduced to bitcoins a few weeks ago.  I was using the bitcoin-qt application on Windows 7.  But I was getting tired of switching to Windows 7 just to check the balance, plus the wait time for bitcoin-qt to re-sync with the blockchain info was frustrating, especially after not using Windows 7 for a few days.  (I didn't install bitcoind on Ubuntu, because the blockchain db is eating up space under Windows 7, and I didn't want a duplicate eating up space for Ubuntu - ie shared HD).

I tried the pre-built Electrum deb install package for amd 64 client via the website.  Well the installer dependencies are sort of wacky, and I had to manually apt-get python-twisted and "fix" the install.  After which it ran, at first it wasn't connecting to a stratum(sp?) server...then I read the forums and switched from to port 50001, then it connected. 

But then, I tried importing some keys from another wallet, and I got a "Error: keypair import failed:" with a blank reason.  Well, gosh the blank reason was weird.  Browsing git did not give me any clues.  So, I tried a few more keys, and got the same error...I gave up and downloaded the source, fired up vi added an import pdb & pdb.set_trace() call to look into things....2 hours later I figured out that the ecdsa crypto in wallet.py fairly old, and does not support compressed keys...3 hours later, I gave up on trying to update wallet.py, and just uncompressed the keys before importing them.  However, even after successfully importing the keys, the balance never updated...

I would post this to the Electrum development forum, but I don't have that right(at least for now).

You can always raise a ticket on Github, or even better supply a patch! Smiley

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
ZenInTexas

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 02:53:33 PM
Last edit: September 05, 2012, 03:17:31 PM by ZenInTexas

http://s14.postimage.org/tocj7p519/Screenshot_from_2012_09_05_01_38_44.jpg

NOTES:

I was just introduced to bitcoins a few weeks ago.  I was using the bitcoin-qt application on Windows 7.  But I was getting tired of switching to Windows 7 just to check the balance, plus the wait time for bitcoin-qt to re-sync with the blockchain info was frustrating, especially after not using Windows 7 for a few days.  (I didn't install bitcoind on Ubuntu, because the blockchain db is eating up space under Windows 7, and I didn't want a duplicate eating up space for Ubuntu - ie shared HD).

I tried the pre-built Electrum deb install package for amd 64 client via the website.  Well the installer dependencies are sort of wacky, and I had to manually apt-get python-twisted and "fix" the install.  After which it ran, at first it wasn't connecting to a stratum(sp?) server...then I read the forums and switched from to port 50001, then it connected.  

But then, I tried importing some keys from another wallet, and I got a "Error: keypair import failed:" with a blank reason.  Well, gosh the blank reason was weird.  Browsing git did not give me any clues.  So, I tried a few more keys, and got the same error...I gave up and downloaded the source, fired up vi added an import pdb & pdb.set_trace() call to look into things....2 hours later I figured out that the ecdsa crypto in wallet.py fairly old, and does not support compressed keys...3 hours later, I gave up on trying to update wallet.py, and just uncompressed the keys before importing them.  However, even after successfully importing the keys, the balance never updated...

Hmm.. Care to share how you actually 'uncompressed' those keys? I didn't know it was even possible.

For general info see http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CAPg%2BsBhDFCjAn1tRRQhaudtqwsh4vcVbxzm%2BAA2OuFxN71fwUA%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=bitcoin-development

By the way, I figured out why Electrum doesn't update the balance on these imported but uncompressed public keys...Its searching for the uncompressed public key, not the compressed public  key; the key actually used in the transaction - which is a unique and different address per the bitcoin folks'

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=28428010
solidsnake66

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 05, 2012, 07:50:40 PM

Windows XP Professional on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
https://i.imgur.com/itOID.png
JompinDox (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 07:19:03 AM

500 satoshis sent to ZenInTexas!
Solidsnake66, please post or PM an address so I can send you some satoshis too!

Down with socks!
Adir

Activity: 18

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:34:24 AM

https://i.imgur.com/x3yai.jpg
Windows 7 Pro, Intel E6550, doesn't seems to download the blockchain =\
address: 1HprdL1oTsAWJUuuWhWS6NXgVvonm1uggh

thanks.
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 10:59:48 AM

thanks.

For my info, do you remember what server you selected when you first started Electrum?

Could you try to delete or rename the empty wallet file (electrum.dat in your Application Data\Electrum directory) and launch Electrum again?
JompinDox (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:01:32 AM

thanks.

500 satoshis sent!

Down with socks!
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 02:09:37 AM

Installation went smoothly. Icons along the bottom seem greyed out? Not obvious that they are clickable

1Boujfn2VZjjLC65Dx5ZSRxmf9JqmUW3F7

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
drekk

Activity: 70

Who shot who in the what now?

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 11:50:24 AM

Even though the OP says the promo is suspended, I wanted to check it out. So I've grabbed the latest Windows binary from Flatfly and installed it on my Win7 Pro Netbook.

First impressions

It's nice to see the client fire up pretty fast. For the sake of playing around I've created a new wallet. The setup process is pretty easy and well explained, but should give more advise on how to create a secure password.

The GUI is clean and simple. Guess that's one important factor if you're targeting newbies and/or casual users. I need to put some BTC in that new wallet first, though, to see how Electrum works out when actually used.

Good job!
drekk

☛ GPG Key / Fingerprint: CDFF 083A 3056 7DD8 B5B9  6687 726C AB05 D6AE 6148
☛ Overly attached BitMinter miner // 4pmlIE9idmlvdXMgdHJvbGwgaXMgb2J2aW91cy4g4pm
JompinDox (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 02:13:55 PM

Installation went smoothly. Icons along the bottom seem greyed out? Not obvious that they are clickable

1Boujfn2VZjjLC65Dx5ZSRxmf9JqmUW3F7

700 satoshis sent!

Down with socks!
JompinDox (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 02:19:46 PM

Even though the OP says the promo is suspended, I wanted to check it out. So I've grabbed the latest Windows binary from Flatfly and installed it on my Win7 Pro Netbook.

First impressions

It's nice to see the client fire up pretty fast. For the sake of playing around I've created a new wallet. The setup process is pretty easy and well explained, but should give more advise on how to create a secure password.

The GUI is clean and simple. Guess that's one important factor if you're targeting newbies and/or casual users. I need to put some BTC in that new wallet first, though, to see how Electrum works out when actually used.

Good job!
drekk

Nice review! Post or PM your address to get 700 satoshis Smiley

Down with socks!
MichelX

Activity: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 02:28:57 PM

i like Electrum too but it does not have a way of managing more than one wallet
JompinDox (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 02:36:19 PM

i like Electrum too but it does not have a way of managing more than one wallet

Actually, it *is* possible to use multiple wallets but you have to use the -w command line parameter (and there are plans to make this much more intuitive in the near future).

So, on Windows for instance, you could create 2 different shortcuts on your desktop, configured as follows:

shortcut 1: "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\pack_kit\elec101e.exe" -w c:\SomeFolder\wallet1.dat          

shortcut 2: "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\pack_kit\elec101e.exe" -w c:\SomeFolder\wallet2.dat

Down with socks!
Rockey75

Activity: 4

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 01:55:03 AM

Hoping this works....

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/8462/eleb.png

Not sure if bb code or not O.o

May have had issues, It complained about not finding a wallet file, I ignored it. Hopefully doesn't mess up my regular BC wallet

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 3800+ 2.00GHz
2.5GB RAM

1LdjmcBcT3DHzLdtbY9Strt22pBJDfqGrz

Wallet says out of sync, if anyone would care to explain that, It'd be lovely Smiley
c4n10

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 02:38:29 AM

Just downloaded and installed. So far it works great for me:

Immediate loading with no blockchain download, all the functionality of a regular wallet plus has the brainwallet feature which is AWESOME...

I am on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1...

Addresses in signature
firstlady0524

Activity: 37

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:28:15 AM

Does this actually pay?
c4n10

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:55:19 AM

Does this actually pay?

Not sure, I will come back to this thread and confirm if I get paid...
JompinDox (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 06:17:28 AM

Rockey75: 700 satoshis sent (even though you've just registered today)!
C4n10: 700 satoshis sent!

Down with socks!
c4n10

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:08:33 PM

Rockey75: 700 satoshis sent (even though you've just registered today)!
C4n10: 700 satoshis sent!

Received! Thank you!!!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: