Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:42:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin QT not downloading blocks  (Read 4647 times)
jock45 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 12:28:24 PM

Hello Everybody,

I was hoping someone could help me here.

I've just started using bitcoin qt 0.6.3. It downloaded the full block chain and I made a few small transactions.

Now, though, the client won't download any more blocks. I'm stuck on block 194998 last received 3 days ago.

It says:
"WARNING: Displayed transactions may not be correct! You may need to upgrade or other nodes may need to upgrade."

I have sufficient disc space.
I deleted the bitcoin directory without deleting anything in appdata, this had no effect.

Anyone any suggestions of what I could try?

cheers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinObmen

Activity: 35

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 02:47:19 PM

First of all, backup your wallet.dat (& maybe addr.dat).
Run bitcoind -rescan. If don't helps, delete everything in AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin
except wallet.dat, then run bitcoin client again.
It will re-download the whole blockchain.
Potato

Activity: 7

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 10:10:11 PM

Or just use an online wallet like https://blockchain.info/wallet/
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2012, 10:36:49 PM
Last edit: August 28, 2012, 10:47:08 PM by deepceleron

If you have sufficient connections to other nodes, then database corruption is likely. In the %appdata%\Bitcoin data folder, check the end of db.log and debug.log, which will have normal logging until near the end and then the error should be apparent.

The -rescan option only looks for missing payments to you, it does nothing to discover blockchain errors.

The command line option that may actual detect (repair?) errors is checkblocks. The options below give the most extensive check possible, which will take a long time, but slightly less than redownloading the blockchain:

>bitcoin-qt.exe -checkblocks=0 -checklevel=6

brewsterkahle

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 04:07:50 PM

I am having the same problem, with the same message, but at block 194995.

was there a hack at that point in the block chain?

did starting again help?   it took me a day to get to that point, so I am a bit loathed to start again.

Thank you.
old_engineer

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:15:25 PM

did starting again help?   it took me a day to get to that point, so I am a bit loathed to start again.

Thank you.

It's probably just a database corruption issue, with resolutions as noted above.  There have been no hacks in the blockchain that I know of, besides one years ago when someone created ~2 billion bitcoins (integer overflow exploit), but that block is no longer in the blockchain. 

Downloading the blockchain taxes the CPU, network, and disk storage subsystems all at once, and I think this is why many systems have issues with the task.  One time, my OSX Lion macbook pro had a hard crash with a mutex spinlock problem when downloading the blockchain.  After restart, I found that my blockchain was corrupted, and I had to delete the database files (all but the wallet file in ~/.bitcoin in linux or ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin on osx) and restart from scratch, and it worked just fine on the second try.
brewsterkahle

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:30:31 PM

You were right, just rerunning worked on my Mac Air.   Thank you.

-brewster

Thank you.

It's probably just a database corruption issue, with resolutions as noted above.  There have been no hacks in the blockchain that I know of, besides one years ago when someone created ~2 billion bitcoins (integer overflow exploit), but that block is no longer in the blockchain. 

Downloading the blockchain taxes the CPU, network, and disk storage subsystems all at once, and I think this is why many systems have issues with the task.  One time, my OSX Lion macbook pro had a hard crash with a mutex spinlock problem when downloading the blockchain.  After restart, I found that my blockchain was corrupted, and I had to delete the database files (all but the wallet file in ~/.bitcoin in linux or ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin on osx) and restart from scratch, and it worked just fine on the second try.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 03:03:36 AM

I would never recommend an online wallet.
Dont do that.

Reasons can be vast. I mean, it could be fualty HDD, faulty RAM, poor internet connection, low HDD space.
You name it, try to reinstall, always backup your wallet first, then try diffirent things. Try on another computer etc.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
September 02, 2017, 09:54:11 PM

I would never recommend an online wallet.
Dont do that.

Reasons can be vast. I mean, it could be fualty HDD, faulty RAM, poor internet connection, low HDD space.
You name it, try to reinstall, always backup your wallet first, then try diffirent things. Try on another computer etc.

You are replying to a 5 year old post.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: