Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:17:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do not post SSNs, etc.  (Read 2215 times)
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 03:37:26 AM

@Quickseller, when the number is one found publicly, does it even matter? And the picture in question, if I'm not mistaken, is one of Josh Zerlan's bitcoin house bathroom. Josh my-legal-efforts-will-dominate-your-face Zerlan (nice riff, VFT!) is hellbent on making his litigious presence known to all over the most ludicrous bullshit. But I agree, Bruno is perhaps making himself a target intentionally. I'm sure he knows what he's doing. By the way, Quickseller, you might not want to quote someone's post if you truly believe it contains sensitive info. That could give YOU problems. Wink
From a forum rule point of view, I know that dox's can only be posted if information was discovered from public sources, however the rule above does not mention a public source exception, it does however say that it is acceptable to post it in the course of an investigation of a scam accusation. From a forum rule point of view, I really can't say if using a public source is allowable or not when posting restricted information.

From a "is this a good idea" point of view, I know that most attorneys will advise their clients not to discuss pending litigation nor the people they are in pending litigation with anyone besides their attorney, publicly or privately. I would say that it is likely that no harm will untimely come of it if Bruno were to post Josh's SSN with a source referenced however it will probably also cause him (or his lawyer) a headache.

Bruno had mentioned that the picture were gotten from some public source, and I have no reason not to believe him, so I really don't see what the problem is. IMO the litigation is probably just a way of showing the FTC that he is willing to litigate over small things in the hopes that the FTC lets him off easy and/or makes a slap-on-the-wrist type offer to settle.

Edit: thanks on the warning about quoting restricted information. I edited/redacted the quote

Josh Zerlan's BTC-House was build and on the market long before he and his wife, Aime Broyles went house hunting with ill-gotten bitcoins in hand: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS549US549&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=577&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=%2226163+W+108th+Terrace%22+Olathe&oq=%2226163+W+108th+Terrace%22+Olathe&gs_l=img.3...6075.6075.0.6333.1.1.0.0.0.0.122.122.0j1.1.0.msedr...0...1c.1.64.img..1.0.0.N02uovBRD7M

I only posted the bathroom pic and not the dining room where Josh fucks Aime on the table, or the bedrooms where Josh has Aime's kids play with his tail.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 04:19:04 AM

The idea of "illegal data" is indeed very ridiculous for a variety of reasons.

I believe that it is not actually strictly illegal for bitcointalk.org to allow people to post SSNs (though it may be illegal for the poster in some circumstances). It's probably also not illegal for me to allow users to post death threats, or links to Silk Road-type sites, or detailed instructions on how best to kidnap someone. But even though these aren't illegal for bitcointalk.org, defending these activities (especially to ISPs and other service providers) is too difficult/expensive to really justify.

If you need to use someone SSN etc. in order to prove that they were scamming or to link some scamming to them as an individual, then I will probably go out of my way to allow this. But if their identity and crimes are already well-known, then it's not worth the trouble.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 01:57:48 PM

Josh Zerlan is dragging my ass to court because I posted an image of his master bathroom gleaned from the internet that was placed here long before he purchased the home its in via bitcoins.
The same Josh from this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlWrmIqGs3Y
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2015, 03:05:27 PM

Josh Zerlan is dragging my ass to court because I posted an image of his master bathroom gleaned from the internet that was placed here long before he purchased the home its in via bitcoins.

Yeah the guy giving him a quarter

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 06:20:07 PM

Yeah the guy giving him a quarter

I see what you did there!  Wink In that video it's shown that the date on the quarter given to Bryan from Josh is 1984. From there, thanks to info gleaned from the internet, I complied the following three images that may or may not be in a random order. Clearly, this post must now be deleted due to the message it's pretending to relay, for somebody on this planet is now at risk.

ABitNut

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

I'm a cynic, I'm a quaint

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 02:00:59 AM

I believe that it is not actually strictly illegal for bitcointalk.org to allow people to post SSNs (though it may be illegal for the poster in some circumstances). It's probably also not illegal for me to allow users to post death threats, or links to Silk Road-type sites, or detailed instructions on how best to kidnap someone. But even though these aren't illegal for bitcointalk.org, defending these activities (especially to ISPs and other service providers) is too difficult/expensive to really justify.

If you need to use someone SSN etc. in order to prove that they were scamming or to link some scamming to them as an individual, then I will probably go out of my way to allow this. But if their identity and crimes are already well-known, then it's not worth the trouble.

And this is were the justice systems fails. Anyone with pockets deep enough can bully others to do (or not do) whatever they want by making it too difficult/expensive to defend it...
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 03:07:29 AM

And this is were the justice systems fails. Anyone with pockets deep enough can bully others to do (or not do) whatever they want by making it too difficult/expensive to defend it...

The bottom line is the bottom line, i.e., it all depends on who's doing the doxing and what the doxing consist of, and how much it'll cost to defend or ignore the action.

Posting an SSN number by anybody --> BAD!
Posting by a pissed off person the address of another person where children reside --> NOT BAD! (what could possibly go wrong?)
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 10:47:48 AM

Edit: Is it just me, or does it seem that Theymos/this forum is getting more attention from authorities recently?

Honestly can't say I'm surprised, given his anarcho-capitalist learnings. A lot of bad shit has gone down on these forums, and Theymos has arrogantly shirked his responsibility at being a good steward of this community, IMO.

Lost all respect for him during the BFL 65nm shit-storm.

It is a selective process. Depends who gets scammed or who does the scamming.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 26, 2015, 11:28:23 AM

Thanks for the update, more restrictions will ruin this forum (but when it is needed... it is needed).
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: