Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:19:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Was NXT the first IPO coin? + Interesting prediction of NXT from February 2013  (Read 1572 times)
Bizmark13 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 08:02:03 AM

I found this rather interesting post the other day in a thread discussing Novacoin, an early proof-of-stake coin:

Is proof of work really only there as a way to distribute coins initially, or does it also rely on it for timing the blocks, that is, to try to make average time between blocks meet some target duration? I am wondering whether one could turn off proof of work entirely to make a purely proof of stake coin and use some other method of distributing coins initially. (Even maybe something as simple as getting a hundred or few hundred people lined up as initial stakeholders and dividing the total number of coins to them as initial stakeholders right from the start.)

-MarkM-

Link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=143221.msg1518745#msg1518745

Now I'm not saying that MarkM is BCNext because his other posts are quite critical of NXT and PoS-based systems but it's interesting to see that at least one other person had essentially solved the same problem of how to distribute a pure PoS currency before BCNext put forth his solution in October 2013 when he announced NXT.

Which leads me to wonder;

Was NXT really the first coin to use the IPO which has since been copied by hundreds of other coins since then and is now the dominant method of distributing PoS coins? Or were there older coins which used a similar method? My understanding is that before NXT, PoS currencies used a PoW stage to solve the distribution problem which is what Peercoin and Novacoin uses. The new method that NXT used was called the IPO because it's similar to the way stocks are distributed during an IPO.
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 10:59:22 PM

IPO/ICO etc didn't exist when Nxt was launched, you won't find anything like that in the launch thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=303898.0

Imagine a world where there are only ~35 coins on Coinmarketcap. And most trying to do something for the betterment of crypto. There weren't the users to warrant terms like IPO.

You could say Nxt was the first IPO but it would just be a way of showing naivety about the history of Nxt and POS. It is a retrospective label for Nxt, usually intended to try and illicit a negative emotional response in my experience Cheesy
TheMystic

Activity: 171
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 08:09:36 PM

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

► ClipX ◄ ♦ The World’s first Blockchain E-Learning Platform ♦ ► ClipX ◄
───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───
Website◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Instagram◂ | ▸Facebook◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸LinkedIn◂ | ▸Youtube◂ | ▸Whitepaper
Daedelus

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 08:30:01 PM

...call it a goose as that is what everyone started to refer to it as 12 months later?  Cheesy
TheMystic

Activity: 171
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 11:09:18 PM

...call it a goose as that is what everyone started to refer to it as 12 months later?  Cheesy

But it's not a goose in that respect. We weren't using the term IPO or ICO back then, but it was the same thing. How was it different?

► ClipX ◄ ♦ The World’s first Blockchain E-Learning Platform ♦ ► ClipX ◄
───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───●♦●───
Website◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Instagram◂ | ▸Facebook◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸LinkedIn◂ | ▸Youtube◂ | ▸Whitepaper
JackRipper

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 11:49:41 PM

I think it would be accurate to say that it was an IPO/ICO. I don't know if it was the first one, but it was the first one that I know of.

Bizmark13 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 12:36:23 AM

IPO/ICO etc didn't exist when Nxt was launched, you won't find anything like that in the launch thread:

Imagine a world where there are only ~35 coins on Coinmarketcap. And most trying to do something for the betterment of crypto. There weren't the users to warrant terms like IPO.

You could say Nxt was the first IPO but it would just be a way of showing naivety about the history of Nxt and POS. It is a retrospective label for Nxt, usually intended to try and illicit a negative emotional response in my experience Cheesy

I believe NXT's distribution method was indeed unique at the time. Many people saw how successful it was for the initial stakeholders and because of that, the market for IPOs was born. Unfortunately, the term "IPO" quickly gained a negative connotation because there were so many new coins using it as their distribution method that ended up either failing or being scams.

The earliest mention of "IPO" from that thread happened on November 25, 2013:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=303898.msg3703796;topicseen#msg3703796

It only appears to have been used once since the next time it's mentioned on that thread was on June 2014 and by then, IPOs and IPO scams were all over the forums.

EDIT: Personally, I don't think NXT's IPO was a scam and I don't think all IPO coins are scams either.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 03:38:35 AM

I believe NXT's distribution method was indeed unique at the time. Many people saw how successful it was for the initial stakeholders and because of that, the market for IPOs was born. Unfortunately, the term "IPO" quickly gained a negative connotation because there were so many new coins using it as their distribution method that ended up either failing or being scams.

The earliest mention of "IPO" from that thread happened on November 25, 2013:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=303898.msg3703796;topicseen#msg3703796

It only appears to have been used once since the next time it's mentioned on that thread was on June 2014 and by then, IPOs and IPO scams were all over the forums.

EDIT: Personally, I don't think NXT's IPO was a scam and I don't think all IPO coins are scams either.

NXT was a huge longshot that paid off for extreme speculators.

Calling NXT an "IPO"... is like calling a lottery an "IPO".
Bizmark13 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 05:16:04 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2015, 07:25:16 AM by Bizmark13

NXT was a huge longshot that paid off for extreme speculators.

Calling NXT an "IPO"... is like calling a lottery an "IPO".

Yeah, I mean even today not many people would advise investing in a coin with no screenshots, no whitepaper, no working beta, no escrow, no source code, and an eccentric anonymous newbie dev who decides to go AWOL just days into its development* but for those people who took the risk and invested, well their risk taking definitely paid off.

Fun fact: 1 bitcoin invested into NXT in November 2013 would have been worth $5 million just by hodling for seven months. That same bitcoin purchased in the beginning of 2013 would have been worth $13.

*I'm not trying to disparage NXT or anything since it's actually one of my favorite altcoins and probably one of the most innovative. Heck, I even have a Coinomat sig!
choochimil

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 06:31:45 AM

I was just getting into crypto when nxt funding closed. How I wonder if I was one of the investors.

▄█▄
               █████████
            ███    █    ███
        ████       █       ████
     ███           █           ███
 ████              █              ████
█████             ███             █████
██   ███         █████         ████  ██
██      ███▓    ██ █ ██     ███      ██
██         ██████  █  ██████         ██
██           █████ █ █████           ██
██          ██   █████   ██          ██
██         ██ ███  █  ███ ██         ██
██        ████     █     ████        ██
██     ███ ███     █     ███ ███     ██
██ ████       ████ █  ███       ████ ██
███              █████              ███
   ███             █             ███
      ████         █         ████
          ███      █      ████
             ████  █   ███
                ███████
                  ▀█▀

▄█▄
               █████████
            ███    █    ███
        ████       █       ████
          ███      █      ████
             ████  █   ███
                ███████
                  ▀█▀

TELEGRAM
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
REDDIT

LINKEDIN
INSTAGRAM
GITHUB
BITCOINTALK
Lorenzo

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 07:08:43 AM

I was just getting into crypto when nxt funding closed. How I wonder if I was one of the investors.

Same here, although I became interested in cryptos a few weeks later than you did. If it's any consolation, many of those who knew about NXT back then chose not to invest despite having the opportunity to do so and a few people even called it an outright scam and warned others not to invest (which I guess was terrible advice in hindsight):

Obvious scam but please prove me wrong

Obvious scam.

Please don't send any money to an account created 4 days ago.

Also, even if I did become involved in cryptos while the NXT IPO was still open, I doubt I would have been able to buy bitcoins, set up a wallet, navigate to the thread, and follow BCNext's instructions to send a signed message via Blockchain.info in such a short timeframe anyway.
Daedelus

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 07:59:15 AM

But it's not a goose in that respect. We weren't using the term IPO or ICO back then, but it was the same thing. How was it different?

As discussed above, IPO/ICO are terms used by scammers with the aim of maximizing donations before delivering nothing. Hence all the "never invest in IPOs" by those that got burned. BCNext plan was:

The plan was to accumulate users, not money (remember I asked for tiny amounts?)

BCNext never called it an IPO/ICO and asked for donations to be made to a spendable BTC account so he could send the small amounts back if Nxt failed.

I don't think there will be decent amount [of Bitcoins], as I said you should send small amounts, it's just for distribution of coins. 

Nxt's 'IPO' had far and away the opposite of what most people in crypto today think of. That is the main reason Nxt is referred to as an IPO in my experience, to try and create the same association with the recent IPO scams. Very few know it was the first and less still do their own research.

Nxt was capped donations with low funds raised+delivery of ground breaking technology. Most IPOs are raise as much money as possible+deliver nothing.

Fun fact: There were over 100 users who expressed an interest and sent tiny amounts to the donation address to be part of the initial Nxt distribution. Only 73 bothered to claim their stakes (eventually, initially I think it was 71). Amusing when you see trolls (no one in here) talking about Nxt as though it was always a sure thing  Cheesy
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 08:15:17 AM

And.......does anyone want to guess how much BTC was raised by the NXT IPO/distribution allocation ?

"Was it a million BTC, Uncle Dave ?"
No, son, it was 21.
"Twenty-one ? You shitting me, Uncle ?"
It's the truth, kid, once upon a time crypto world wasn't full of greedy thieves, the Interwebs was free and CMC fitted on to one screen.
"Now I know you're lying, you old bastard"

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
box0214

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 09:08:09 AM

it would be a cool story if someone linked BCNEXT to Satoshi somehow and they both are anonymous. Maybe they were best friends?
choochimil

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 09:47:06 AM

And.......does anyone want to guess how much BTC was raised by the NXT IPO/distribution allocation ?

No, son, it was 21.
It's the truth, kid, once upon a time crypto world wasn't full of greedy thieves, the Interwebs was free and CMC fitted on to one screen.

Nice one.

▄█▄
               █████████
            ███    █    ███
        ████       █       ████
          ███      █      ████
             ████  █   ███
                ███████
                  ▀█▀

▄█▄
               █████████
            ███    █    ███
        ████       █       ████
          ███      █      ████
             ████  █   ███
                ███████
                  ▀█▀

TELEGRAM
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
REDDIT

LINKEDIN
INSTAGRAM
GITHUB
BITCOINTALK
Bizmark13 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 10:44:45 AM

Same here, although I became interested in cryptos a few weeks later than you did. If it's any consolation, many of those who knew about NXT back then chose not to invest despite having the opportunity to do so and a few people even called it an outright scam and warned others not to invest (which I guess was terrible advice in hindsight):

Obvious scam but please prove me wrong

Obvious scam.

Please don't send any money to an account created 4 days ago.

Also, even if I did become involved in cryptos while the NXT IPO was still open, I doubt I would have been able to buy bitcoins, set up a wallet, navigate to the thread, and follow BCNext's instructions to send a signed message via Blockchain.info in such a short timeframe anyway.

Here's my personal favorite (emphasis mine):

So i hand over tons of BTC for a promise that i will get an unproven altcoin, that will probly be worth nothing?

Link: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=303898.msg3279654#msg3279654

...call it a goose as that is what everyone started to refer to it as 12 months later?  Cheesy

As discussed above, IPO/ICO are terms used by scammers with the aim of maximizing donations before delivering nothing. Hence all the "never invest in IPOs" by those that got burned. BCNext plan was:

The plan was to accumulate users, not money (remember I asked for tiny amounts?)

BCNext never called it an IPO/ICO and asked for donations to be made to a spendable BTC account so he could send the small amounts back if Nxt failed.

I don't think there will be decent amount [of Bitcoins], as I said you should send small amounts, it's just for distribution of coins. 

Nxt's 'IPO' had far and away the opposite of what most people in crypto today think of. That is the main reason Nxt is referred to as an IPO in my experience, to try and create the same association with the recent IPO scams. Very few know it was the first and less still do their own research.

Nxt was capped donations with low funds raised+delivery of ground breaking technology. Most IPOs are raise as much money as possible+deliver nothing.

Fun fact: There were over 100 users who expressed an interest and sent tiny amounts to the donation address to be part of the initial Nxt distribution. Only 73 bothered to claim their stakes (eventually, initially I think it was 71). Amusing when you see trolls (no one in here) talking about Nxt as though it was always a sure thing  Cheesy

No, son, it was 21.

Yeah, BCNext's intentions were definitely quite different from the IPO scams that were to come later. I did say in a previous post that most IPOs since NXT's have been motivated by greed. People saw the NXT IPO and realized that they had missed the boat and so they started looking for the next big thing. Scammers sensed that there was a new opportunity to rip off people hence the reason for the countless IPO scams in 2014.

Also, there were IPOs which turned out not to be scams such as those for Crypti, Qora, MaidSafe, Mastercoin, GEMZ, and Ethereum which not only resulted in the investors getting an actual product but also rewarded their investors with a handsome profit during their peaks. The term "IPO" is nearly synonymous with scams but not all IPOs are scams.

I still think that describing NXT's distribution as an IPO is the most accurate since I can't think of another term that would replace it in this sense. Nevertheless, BCNext's intent was probably closer to Counterparty's proof-of-burn model which sent coins to an unspendable address. Here's a quote by PhantomPhreak, one of the founders of Counterparty:

What does it mean when we say Initialize Balances? It may not be clear from the initial introduction above and it does sound like a new concept.

It's not a new concept. See https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_burn. Certainly, it's similar to what Nxt and Mastercoin did (but better).

Right now no one owns any XCP, which we need a "fair, distributed and transparent" way of creating and distributing. Requiring people to publicly "destroy" BTC is a good way of doing that.

Even so, he did intend to use the funds from the IPO to promote the coin unlike Counterparty which brings it closer to traditional (non-scammy) IPOs:

4]  Let's transfer tiny amounts of bitcoins to my address.  More you send, more you get.  Looks good to me.
5]  Why send coins to my own address, not some unspendable address?  I need a way to send the coins back, just in case.  Or fund development of services to promote Nxt, if the total amount happens to be decent.

The raised funds will be spent for further development (for example, now I'm negotiating with guys who are willing to create a product similar to http://bitcoincard.org/).  You will not get the bitcoins back in any case so temptation shouldn't be taken into account.  If you worry that you will not get NXT then go to http://88.198.210.245:7875/ to see it's not a vaporware.

But he obviously didn't consider that part to be very important:

Nxt doesn't need 4000 BTC for a huge success, it needs 4000 participants.  I agree that critical mass is important, not sure about an early adopter bonus though.  First let's get something working.

And a few other interesting quotes by BCNext:

It's a terrible idea to distribute NXT equally to the first 1000 forum members.  There are so many sockpuppets here.

... Looks like he wouldn't have approved of NEM's distribution. Or perhaps he was unaware of anti-sockpuppet measures.

I can not give you exact numbers.  Try to assess them taking into account some facts:

1]  Nxt does not require to waste electricity (no centralization of mining power around pro-miners)
2]  Colored coins will lead to a revolution in finances (decentralized exchange of property in atomic transactions)
3]  Instant transactions (I can't find words to explain how it's cool)

Nxt collected 1,500 USD worth bitcoins.  I'll eat my hat if in half a year they won't be worth a couple of millions.

... And the prediction came true. Smiley

My stake is/will be 1 BTC worth.  I will not get any NXT for free.

P.S.  We are still too far from desired 250 users.  Maybe we will attract more people after I show colored coins in action...

... Already mentioned in another quote above but it seems that he desperately wanted more stakeholders. I wonder why the distribution was cut short then? I understand that he idolized Satoshi but to cut the IPO short just to get a nice round 21 BTC seems a bit excessive.

I had the initial guess that you may be the same Satoshi, but I usually do not express my thoughts Wink

I'm not Satoshi.  Hell, I would say this in any case!

Grin
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 10:47:17 AM

A POS Block-Chain System shouldn't be calling itself a 'COIN'. They're DACs.

If I may, I think this is the misconception.. And why some people get so upset and irritated by these 'COIN' launches..  (Steady..).

The 'UNIT' running on the POS chain is exactly what the chain says it is,.. a STAKE in the system.

POS Systems should rely on making money through the services they provide. NXT's asset exchange, or BitShares in general both provide a utility to their POS network. And that IS worth something.

NXT's IPO was exactly that. A sale of shares in a fledgling DAC. I don't think of NXT as coins. They're shares.

I had not seen anything like that before. But there hadn't been any pure POS coins until then. Definitely a first for me on both counts.

Congratulations most certainly in order..  Grin

Life is Code.
Daedelus

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 11:04:06 AM

... Already mentioned in another quote above but it seems that he desperately wanted more stakeholders. I wonder why the distribution was cut short then? I understand that he idolized Satoshi but to cut the IPO short just to get a nice round 21 BTC seems a bit excessive.

Nxt got through 2 of the planned 3 month 'IPO' period so, again, 'cut short' has usually been used in the past with no detail to imply that there was a sinister motive to prevent people getting involved  Cheesy Those that did their own research could follow the thread we have been quoting can see anyone had the opportunity to join for around 2 months. Not sure about the Satoshi reference, he at least didn't idolized him overtly.

The second or third post in that thread was an edit of a "reserved" post when BCNext went underground after he said someone had contacted him about Nxt, even after he had been careful with his ID and computer IP. It could be true, it could be razamataz. But it isn't important. He liked symbolism and riddles, CfB has said there are hidden references to '1984' in the Nxt algo's as well as the genesis password being the opening line from the same book. 21 was chosen as that was the number of BTC that will ever be.
Daedelus

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 11:06:19 AM

If I may, I think this is the misconception.. And why some people get so upset and irritated by these 'COIN' launches..  (Steady..).

The 'UNIT' running on the POS chain is exactly what the chain says it is,.. a STAKE in the system.

POS Systems should rely on making money through the services they provide. NXT's asset exchange, or BitShares in general both provide a utility to their POS network. And that IS worth something.

NXT's IPO was exactly that. A sale of shares in a fledgling DAC. I don't think of NXT as coins. They're shares.

I had not seen anything like that before. But there hadn't been any pure POS coins until then. Definitely a first for me on both counts.

This is the "Promote the currency or promote the platform" debate Cheesy I say both but long term value will come from the platform, as you say, in the AE and other things that are built on top.
Bizmark13 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 11:17:55 AM

it would be a cool story if someone linked BCNEXT to Satoshi somehow and they both are anonymous. Maybe they were best friends?

Some people have suggested that BCNext and Satoshi were actually the same person. If they are connected in some way then your scenario is probably more likely since Satoshi was an old school C++ programmer while BCNext was a Java programmer.

That's certainly an interesting way of looking at it, although it does reinforce the idea of an IPO as selling shares in a company in the same way IPOs do in the non-crypto world.

Nxt got through 2 of the planned 3 month 'IPO' period so, again, 'cut short' has usually been used in the past with no detail to imply that there was a sinister motive to prevent people getting involved  Cheesy Those that did their own research could follow the thread we have been quoting can see anyone had the opportunity to join for around 2 months. Not sure about the Satoshi reference, he at least didn't idolized him overtly.

The second or third post in that thread was an edit of a "reserved" post when BCNext went underground after he said someone had contacted him about Nxt, even after he had been careful with his ID and computer IP. It could be true, it could be razamataz. But it isn't important. He liked symbolism and riddles, CfB has said there are hidden references to '1984' in the Nxt algo's as well as the genesis password being the opening line from the same book. 21 was chosen as that was the number of BTC that will ever be.

LOL. "Idolized" was probably too strong a word but it's clear from his posts that he definitely admired Satoshi:

I follow Satoshi's vision of the best currency.

Maybe you answered it before... but why the Anonymity? What can go wrong if you'll say who you are?

Maybe it's a superstition but I'm trying to follow in Satoshi's footsteps.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: