Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:25:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IDEA: Transaction forwarding  (Read 563 times)
r3wt (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 03:25:24 PM

I was thinking about a common problem we have with transaction/wallet bloat. One of the main problems with swapping out wallets in an exchange environment is the risk that a customer will deposit to an old address and then cause a big shit fit about it on social media.

So i had a small idea. Not sure if its been proposed before, but i thought i would mention it.

I would love to see a scheme implemented whereby you could setup transaction forwarding, by destroying the address and replacing it with the address to forward to, so all transactions to the old address would be forwarded to the new address.

A2A's:

1. Is it even technically possible?

2. Is it a bad idea?

3. What could be some possible problems with this idea?

4. Is it a security vulnerability?

5. could this be encoded in a transaction somehow?

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
josef2000

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Bro, you need to try http://dadice.com

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2015, 03:39:37 PM

No it isnt, at least not directly within the bitcoin network. However there may be some third party services that might allow you to do so by giving them wallet access, but then you would have to wait for 2 confirmations and pay 0.0002 fees.
2. Is that a bad idea
Honestly, no. Not at all. This is brilliant, but I think it couldnt be implented into Bitcoin directly.
If this is implented into the bitcoin network, this could mean good news for hackers etc. They could just foward all the bitcoins you get from other addresses to them. If there are third party services, your wallet wont be safe, because they keep them in the servers and if the server is hacked, your bitcoins are gone

This could be a serious vulnerability. The answer above is answering it Wink ^

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 03:42:44 PM

No. You must keep a copy of all your keys if you think this might happen. You can always just print out a hard copy or make backup copies. Either way, it might be a good idea to import the public addresses into a watch only wallet.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 03:52:24 PM

No. You must keep a copy of all your keys if you think this might happen. You can always just print out a hard copy or make backup copies. Either way, it might be a good idea to import the public addresses into a watch only wallet.

On most exchanges unfortunately you cannot get your private keys.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 03:56:22 PM

On most exchanges unfortunately you cannot get your private keys.
Then those are not your addresses. That's a problem that people don't seem to understand. They think because someone allows them to borrow an address, that somehow they have an account. That's not how Bitcoin works unless they give you the private keys or at least a set of multisig keys.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Snail2
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 04:00:14 PM

I was thinking about a common problem we have with transaction/wallet bloat. One of the main problems with swapping out wallets in an exchange environment is the risk that a customer will deposit to an old address and then cause a big shit fit about it on social media.

So i had a small idea. Not sure if its been proposed before, but i thought i would mention it.

I would love to see a scheme implemented whereby you could setup transaction forwarding, by destroying the address and replacing it with the address to forward to, so all transactions to the old address would be forwarded to the new address.

A2A's:

2. Is it a bad idea?

Good idea but I think it would be difficult to implement such pointers in the bitcoin-core.
Snail2
Legendary

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 04:04:27 PM

Then those are not your addresses. That's a problem that people don't seem to understand. They think because someone allows them to borrow an address, that somehow they have an account. That's not how Bitcoin works unless they give you the private keys or at least a set of multisig keys.

No, in many cases those addresses just additional addresses for one common wallet.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3241

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 04:26:00 PM

1. Is it even technically poss
2. Is it a bad idea?

It would be technically possible by changing the protocol, but it would be a bad idea because it would create information stored in the block chain that could never be pruned. There could also be a problem of circular references.

I feel that forwarding should be done by the person and not the miners because it can already be done by the person without requiring special involvement by miners.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
ticoti

Activity: 854

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 04:58:43 PM

It looks a good idea,but you can't destroy addresses in bitcoin, besides it could lead to problems of hacking and forwarding addresses to the hackers,losing your bitcoins
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 05:39:29 PM

However there may be some third party services that might allow you to do so by giving them wallet access, but then you would have to wait for 2 confirmations and pay 0.0002 fees.
That would be the best implementation. It could be a service offered by a reputable Bitcoin company, such as Blockchain.info. You would give them your old private key (that you don't intend to use anymore anyway), and your new address. They would provide a permanent forwarding service in exchange for a small percentage of the coin transferred.

Yes, this is not 100% secure, but its better than forgetting your old address that you never intend to use again, not backing up the key, and then having a customer use this old address that he wasn't supposed to use.

I mentioned Blockchain.info above because they already have the framework set up to do such a function in their Receive Payments API, which allows you to create a new address, and will have anything sent to it forwarded to an address you specify. It also calls a URL when with happens! The only addition they would have to make is allow the user to specify the private key instead of having the API do it.
r3wt (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 06:23:47 PM

However there may be some third party services that might allow you to do so by giving them wallet access, but then you would have to wait for 2 confirmations and pay 0.0002 fees.
That would be the best implementation. It could be a service offered by a reputable Bitcoin company, such as Blockchain.info. You would give them your old private key (that you don't intend to use anymore anyway), and your new address. They would provide a permanent forwarding service in exchange for a small percentage of the coin transferred.

Yes, this is not 100% secure, but its better than forgetting your old address that you never intend to use again, not backing up the key, and then having a customer use this old address that he wasn't supposed to use.

I mentioned Blockchain.info above because they already have the framework set up to do such a function in their Receive Payments API, which allows you to create a new address, and will have anything sent to it forwarded to an address you specify. It also calls a URL when with happens! The only addition they would have to make is allow the user to specify the private key instead of having the API do it.

Yeah, the only other option for a business is having a low priority wallet for old keys, that you run a deep scan on every X hours, since its so bloated with spam the RPC call might take 20 minutes.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
April 20, 2015, 08:07:06 PM

One of the main problems with swapping out wallets in an exchange environment is the risk that a customer will deposit to an old address

I don't think there's a big risk.
I'm making wire transfers very often, and I ALWAYS double-check, or triple-check, the IBAN I'm sending money to. I know that once the money is gone, it's gone for good. So, I'm very, very cautious.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: