Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 02:30:09 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Servers, but what to do??  (Read 782 times)
Hamuki (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 08:06:00 AM

Hey everyone..

I have gotten 2 dell servers with 32 GB of ram in each.
Its a Dell PowerEgde 1950 with 2 Xeon CPU's, 32 GB of good ram, and around 200GB of space.

What should I do with them?
I want to see if I can make a little money off them.

Do you have any suggestions?

~Hamuki

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 10:23:53 AM

you can try to setup a mining pool for altcoin, if you have enough experience, and charge a 1% fee or 0.5 if 1 is too high, but i can not assure about a high profitability

another thing is... you can build a streamer, or for gaming purpose, there are many old game that need private server, you can charge something there too
Hamuki (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 10:31:35 AM

you can try to setup a mining pool for altcoin, if you have enough experience, and charge a 1% fee or 0.5 if 1 is too high, but i can not assure about a high profitability

another thing is... you can build a streamer, or for gaming purpose, there are many old game that need private server, you can charge something there too

Streamer? Like Twitch??
Gaming server? Possible, but question is, if it can pay for electricity and give a little tip to me.

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 12:26:16 PM

Streamer? Like Twitch??
Gaming server? Possible, but question is, if it can pay for electricity and give a little tip to me.

a server like that should consume at worst 50w per hour if the cpu isn't used max, not something to worry about

you can also put it in renting, someone always need linux or even windows server to do their stuff

i think it's better to drop the suggestion about dedicated gaming server, because you need a lot of bandwitch, not worth it i guess..
Bitcoin Explorer

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 02:49:03 PM

As Amph suggested, a mining pool for an altcoin is quite great. Moreover, just setting up something wont bring in the money, you need to make teh service viable and helpful to the target audience. Now that you have the servers you should focus on the quality you bring in with whatever service you start

crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 07:58:56 PM

Mining pool s the only option. Do not even consider mining, that hardware s useless for mining, it s too expensive to run it for CPU coins and the rest is not even in the same ballgame.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 08:28:53 PM

There are many altcoin bounties for running public nodes. With these servers you can run a couple of nodes and earn some bitcoins.
Hamuki (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 07:25:51 AM

There are many altcoin bounties for running public nodes. With these servers you can run a couple of nodes and earn some bitcoins.

hmm.. VMware and have a Virtuel machine dedicated as a node to run different wallets?

Wont that require a lot of bandwidth?

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 07:27:51 AM

hmm.. VMware and have a Virtuel machine dedicated as a node to run different wallets?

Wont that require a lot of bandwidth?

no running a full node, consume very little bandwitdh

yeah you can use VM to run multiple node inside your one server
Hamuki (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 07:33:03 AM

Mining pool s the only option. Do not even consider mining, that hardware s useless for mining, it s too expensive to run it for CPU coins and the rest is not even in the same ballgame.

So I should host mining pools for others?
Or host them and let people mine..?

I am not sure of what you mean Smiley

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 09:12:12 AM

yeah this is the intention, like supernova pool in the altcoin section, he can drive you on how to do this

but there are numerous guide for this in the web one of the best https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=613949.0
Enzyme

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 09:40:43 AM

Hey everyone..

I have gotten 2 dell servers with 32 GB of ram in each.
Its a Dell PowerEgde 1950 with 2 Xeon CPU's, 32 GB of good ram, and around 200GB of space.

What should I do with them?
I want to see if I can make a little money off them.

Do you have any suggestions?

~Hamuki
Start a gaming server, exchange donations for ranks. Simple.
Hamuki (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 06:24:05 AM

yeah this is the intention, like supernova pool in the altcoin section, he can drive you on how to do this

but there are numerous guide for this in the web one of the best https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=613949.0

The server costs around 1200 Danish kroner which is 150$- 180$ a month in power alone..
So running pools would require lots of donations or payments.

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:10:00 AM

The server costs around 1200 Danish kroner which is 150$- 180$ a month in power alone..

if your pool charge 1% and you have enough miners, it can be done , it's a bit of a gamble like every investment

anyway 150-180 seems too much for me, i was consuming less with my old rig with 600w per hour....i doubt your server is using 0.6kw/h
Hamuki (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:41:01 AM

It does have 2 670W power supplies in it.
1 backup and 1 main.

if your pool charge 1% and you have enough miners, it can be done , it's a bit of a gamble like every investment

anyway 150-180 seems too much for me, i was consuming less with my old rig with 600w per hour....i doubt your server is using 0.6kw/h

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:02:45 AM

power supply wattage isn't the actual power that you consumes, you should check with a wattmeter to be sure about the consumption, i doubt a server consumes that much, there is only the cpu after all, that suck the most energy, ram ssd are not energy intensive
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:15:42 AM

The lowest risk would seem to me to be just mining some CPU coins and trading out as soon as possible.
I have been out of the Alts scene for a while now, but I assume you could try Quark or Primecoin, or any that haven't been destroyed by GPU mining!

Hosting a mining pool sounds like a good idea too, but it is a commitment that you can't, or shouldn't back out of on a whim. 
photon_coin

Activity: 310
Merit: 256

Photon --- The First Child Of Blake Coin --Merged

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2015, 07:45:21 PM

cpu mining safest but no guarantee it will be profitable vs. costs

running a pool may be a better idea,  however if you never ran one, I don't recommend you try.

maybe depending on your ability to set them up , hosting/renting the space out might be safest although it has nothing to do with cryptocurrency

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: