Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:21:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad fan bearing - Sapphire HD 5850 Xtreme  (Read 4300 times)
phelix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 03:16:24 PM

Today I noticed the fan speed drop in one of my 5850s. When I put the miners to rest and the fan speed went down to idle speeds it made a loud buzzing noise and quite some vibration.

The card is not even two weeks old. I wonder if it happened because I ran it too hot, maybe 85°C.

With the card taken out I can feel additional resistance on rotating the fan by finger. With a strong push it even starts to vibrate.

I took off the fan and removed the sticker on the stationary part, trying to get some motor oil in there. There are some groove arround the center but I am not sure if it got to the bearing.

The noise seems to be better but even at 100% the fan runs more than a thousand rpms slower than the others. I really hope it is only the fan and nothing worse??

Of course I have it running again with the card underclocked and undervolted until I get a new fan. I will try to get one from Sapphire by warranty but sure will not send in the card.

Anyone ever experienced something like that? Recomendations for a replacement fan?
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chucksta

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 03:28:10 PM

You should've returned it. Definitely faulty.
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2011, 03:33:13 PM

Is it full of cat hair? Tongue

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
cschmitz

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 04:22:13 PM

Today I noticed the fan speed drop in one of my 5850s. When I put the miners to rest and the fan speed went down to idle speeds it made a loud buzzing noise and quite some vibration.

The card is not even two weeks old. I wonder if it happened because I ran it too hot, maybe 85°C.

With the card taken out I can feel additional resistance on rotating the fan by finger. With a strong push it even starts to vibrate.

I took off the fan and removed the sticker on the stationary part, trying to get some motor oil in there. There are some groove arround the center but I am not sure if it got to the bearing.

The noise seems to be better but even at 100% the fan runs more than a thousand rpms slower than the others. I really hope it is only the fan and nothing worse??

Of course I have it running again with the card underclocked and undervolted until I get a new fan. I will try to get one from Sapphire by warranty but sure will not send in the card.

Anyone ever experienced something like that? Recomendations for a replacement fan?

I had exactly the same issue. I set the fan manually to 100% since it seemed to work. The fan died 2 days later it seems, and with it the card. It is RMA'ed now. I assure you the card will not be able to throttle down in time when the fan suddenly dies while mining, so either replace the fan or RMA it. I chose to not RMA it initially due to prefering mining outcome, its all taking chances.

proud 5.x gh/s miner. tips welcome at 1A132BPnYMrgYdDaRyLpRrLQU4aG1WLRtd
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 05:07:24 PM

Is it full of cat hair? Tongue
that's what I had hoped for at first =)

thanks for your input. I will replace it somehow asap. I really do not want to kill the card and I had not imagined that could happen so easy - a fan can die every day. I have a big 140cm fan in front of the card battery that should help a little and a temperature protection script so I will take the risk for a couple of days but closely monitor the fan speed.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:14:50 AM

continued on http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=18111.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: