Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 07:36:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inputting Your Own Entropy  (Read 868 times)
RBell (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 10:16:59 PM

Hi All,

I've read in quite a few places how to sort of be your own RNG, using dice or cards, to create a private key.  I have read a few different ways to do this with Armory and would like some clarification please on how to best do this.  I feel that cards would be the best way, because you don't have to worry about the weight of the dice being perfect.

Thank you for your input!

RB
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2015, 11:40:25 PM

I've read in quite a few places how to sort of be your own RNG, using dice or cards, to create a private key.  I have read a few different ways to do this with Armory and would like some clarification please on how to best do this.  I feel that cards would be the best way, because you don't have to worry about the weight of the dice being perfect.

I also think cards are the easiest way, but they do have some pitfalls. See here for a good discussion on how to shuffle well enough to provide sufficient entropy: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=682842.0
RBell (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 04:40:50 AM

I've read in quite a few places how to sort of be your own RNG, using dice or cards, to create a private key.  I have read a few different ways to do this with Armory and would like some clarification please on how to best do this.  I feel that cards would be the best way, because you don't have to worry about the weight of the dice being perfect.

I also think cards are the easiest way, but they do have some pitfalls. See here for a good discussion on how to shuffle well enough to provide sufficient entropy: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=682842.0

That was a very interesting read, thank you!

Once I achieve the random shuffle, do you know how I go about getting the private key? And can this be used to generate a HD wallet, so I only need one backup?

Thanks!
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 07:17:42 AM

That was a very interesting read, thank you!

Once I achieve the random shuffle, do you know how I go about getting the private key? And can this be used to generate a HD wallet, so I only need one backup?

Thanks!

Shuffling 52 cards is equivalent to 225 bits of entropy, more than enough.  I added the three jokers, just since they were there.

I wrote down the sequence of cards, using one letter for each suit, the number for ace to 10, and JQK for the last three.  Any code will do.
In a terminal window on the secure offline machine I started the shasum -a 256 command and typed the sequence directly as input.
I then found the translation from hex to the Armory backup alphabet somewhere in the source code.  I also found the lines that did the checksum.  I made a small Python script that took the sha256 and converted it to Armory input.  Then I started Armory, cut-and-pasted the code into it, set a password, made a 2-of-3 paper backup, deleted the armory wallet again, restored from the paper backup, stored the paper backups in three safe places, and proceeded to use the wallet.

Hmm, I intended to paste the ten lines of code here - but I cannot find it.  That makes this post somewhat less useful. Sad

As I remember it, I spend most of an afternoon looking at the source code to find the alphabet (easy to find) and the checksum calculation (not so easy to find) - and then writing the code was pretty fast.  But it is so long ago that I cannot reproduce it now.  Maybe somebody has posted such a code snippet somewhere.

WARNING:  It is of course possible to use the same procedure to generate brain wallets by sha256'ing a passphase.  That is a good way to lose bitcoins, either by using an insecure passphase (we are awful at generating entropy!) or by forgetting the passphase.  Not that the two are mutually exclusive  Grin
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2015, 04:56:34 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2015, 11:41:20 AM by btchris

Along the lines of what picobit was thinking, here's a Python script to do this.

It will ask you for a new wallet password, your entropy (e.g. "3s ad 9h tc 4d"....), and whether or not you'd like it to add additional OS-supplied entropy, and then it will ask Armory to create a wallet file (in its usual location).

It needs to run on a machine which already has Armory installed. If you choose not to add additional OS-supplied entropy, be certain you only run this on an offline/cold storage machine. Please close Armory before running it, and when you start Armory after running it the new wallet will be listed in the GUI.

Code:
import sys, os

# Try to add the Armory libraries to the path for various platforms
if sys.platform == "win32":
    progfiles_path = os.environ.get("ProgramFiles", r"C:\Program Files")  # default is for XP
    armory_path    = progfiles_path + r"\Armory"
    sys.path.extend((armory_path, armory_path + r"\library.zip"))
    # 64-bit Armory might install into the 32-bit directory; if this is 64-bit Python look in both
    import struct
    if struct.calcsize('P') * 8 == 64:  # calcsize('P') is a pointer's size in bytes
        assert not progfiles_path.endswith("(x86)"), "ProgramFiles doesn't end with '(x86)' on x64 Python"
        progfiles_path += " (x86)"
        armory_path     = progfiles_path + r"\Armory"
        sys.path.extend((armory_path, armory_path + r"\library.zip"))
elif sys.platform.startswith("linux"):
    sys.path.append("/usr/lib/armory")
elif sys.platform == "darwin":  # untested
    sys.path.append("/Applications/Armory.app/Contents/MacOS/py/usr/lib/armory")

from armoryengine import PyBtcWallet
from CppBlockUtils import SecureBinaryData
from hashlib import sha256
from getpass import getpass

# Hack to prevent Armory from overwriting an existing wallet file
def open_noclobber(name, mode='r'):
    if 'w' in mode:
        if os.path.exists(name):
            raise IOError("won't overwrite existing file '{}'".format(name))
    return open(name, mode)
PyBtcWallet.open = open_noclobber

password = getpass('Password>')
if not password:
    sys.exit('A password is required')
if getpass('Verify password>') != password:
    sys.exit("Passwords don't match")

cards = raw_input('Cards> ')
if len(cards.replace(' ', '')) < 50:  # 2 letters per card
    sys.exit('Requires a bare minimum of 25 cards')
entropy = sha256(cards).digest()

if raw_input('Also add additional OS-supplied entropy (Y/n)? ').lower().strip() == 'n':
    wallet = PyBtcWallet.PyBtcWallet().createNewWallet(plainRootKey=entropy, securePassphrase=password, doRegisterWithBDM=False)
else:
    wallet = PyBtcWallet.PyBtcWallet().createNewWallet(extraEntropy=SecureBinaryData(entropy), securePassphrase=password, doRegisterWithBDM=False)

print 'New wallet created with ID', wallet.uniqueIDB58

(consider it released under The MIT License)
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 07:41:48 AM

Along the lines of what picobit was thinking, here's a Python script to do this.
Wow!

Now I am glad I did not find my script - this is much easier to use, and more elegant.
RBell (OP)

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 03:25:06 AM

Wow!

Now I am glad I did not find my script - this is much easier to use, and more elegant.

Thank you both for your help!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: