Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:52:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I trust BTC exchanges?  (Read 21686 times)
smith coins

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:34:25 PM

There is absolutely no trust in exchanges if you want to leave your bitcoins there for a long time.

Many good exchanges that i personally use are yobit poloniex cryptsy(not recently) and they do their job for what they are.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CryptBit

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 04:42:55 PM

There is absolutely no trust in exchanges if you want to leave your bitcoins there for a long time.

Many good exchanges that i personally use are yobit poloniex cryptsy(not recently) and they do their job for what they are.

FUD..
Don't listen to this guy.
smith coins

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 09:15:52 PM

FUD..

I wrote no trust in exchanges if you want don't leave your bitcoins there for a long time.
Because everything can happen you can see the last hack in mt.gox, bter hack etc.
The mtgox hack was one of the terrible story? will millions of lost for users.
isvicre

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 23, 2015, 09:29:12 PM

FUD..

I fully agree on first sentence.
However in second sentence you wrote all the untrusted altcoin exchanges. I'd never put my money on Yobit and if I need to use Poloniex and Cryptsy I only deposit when I trade and immediately withdraw new coins.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 06:25:49 AM

FUD..

I wrote no trust in exchanges if you want don't leave your bitcoins there for a long time.
Because everything can happen you can see the last hack in mt.gox, bter hack etc.

you need to leave always a small amount of coins for trading, or you may lose the opportunity for a good profit

mtgox was a joke exchange, i'm sure that the more we go ahead the more secure exchange will be
smith coins

View Profile
September 24, 2015, 06:49:38 AM

FUD..

you need to leave always a small amount of coins for trading, or you may lose the opportunity for a good profit

mtgox was a joke exchange, i'm sure that the more we go ahead the more secure exchange will be

It should be more secure every time, but holding in exchanges your bitcoins for a long time is no reasonable if you do not trade.

I understand that we should hold there if we want to trade but after your do the trade i recommend to leave.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 12:08:36 AM

for btc trading i would only use large exchanges like bitfinex, bitstamp, kraken. other small exchanges like poloniex and cryptsy aren't for serious bitcoin trading.
smith coins

View Profile
September 25, 2015, 11:53:27 AM

for btc trading i would only use large exchanges like bitfinex, bitstamp, kraken. other small exchanges like poloniex and cryptsy aren't for serious bitcoin trading.

Well i have never been on bitfinex or bitstamp neither kraken,
But i would not consider as a small exchange poloniex neither cryptsy they have pretty large volume of bitcoin and alt coins.
What i consider as a small exchange is YoBit, they have been around 1 year and it is still be beginning but i do trust them for now.
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2015, 05:52:22 PM

Never keep any coins in an exchange for too long, also if you're trading i wouldn't put your entire bankroll on one exchange.
Seems obvious, though I have known people who do this without thinking about it.

Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1512

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 06:55:13 PM

Meh, more or less. I think it's best to trust exchanges with small amounts of BTC for short amounts of time. I would never use an exchange as my personal wallet for incoming and outgoing transactions. I'd only trust the most popular exchanges like Coinbase. Even then, I would still not leave a large amount of BTC on it. You never know what's going to happen, like them locking you out of your account and asking for "verification" or something.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2015, 07:53:05 PM

There is absolutely no reason you should need to trust a BTC exchange other than the short period your BTC or fiat money is in the exchange while you're exchanging. If you're keeping a significant amount of cash in the exchange, it's a bad idea. There's a reason you have a Bitcoin wallet, y'know Wink

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
SerenaL

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 08:01:59 PM

There have been reputable exchanges that "lost" bitcoins and got away with it. You should always transfer your bitcoins to your own personal wallet after you are done exchanging.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 10:31:42 PM

FUD..

Balls.

If everyone took that advice there'd be some considerably more cheerful people around.

I've never left coins on an exchange and never would. For alts I've used bter, mintpal and yacuna. Guess what would've happened in every single case if I'd left my coins on any of those exchanges?
smith coins

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 10:34:13 PM

FUD..

Balls.

If everyone took that advice there'd be some considerably more cheerful people around.

I've never left coins on an exchange and never would. For alts I've used bter, mintpal and yacuna. Guess what would've happened in every single case if I'd left my coins on any of those exchanges?

I think that CryptBid has not understand well my post, glad that you understand Smiley
To bter for altcoins it is ok but it was/is not ok to send bitcoins there as their "cold" wallet was hacked this February.
There is no trust in exchange as the refund process mostly is not possible or takes years to be fully refunded.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 10:37:08 PM

I think that CryptBid has not understand well my post, glad that you understand Smiley
To bter for altcoins it is ok but it was/is not ok to send bitcoins there as their "cold" wallet was hacked this February.
There is no trust in exchange as the refund process mostly is not possible or takes years to be fully refunded.

Bter is marginal these days. Node coin users have had transactions stuck for weeks. Support is either not responding or brushing them off. I don't think the bter operators have a great deal of incentive to keep it running properly any more. The damage is done.
smith coins

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 10:39:54 PM

Bter is marginal these days. Node coin users have had transactions stuck for weeks. Support is either not responding or brushing them off. I don't think the bter operators have a great deal of incentive to keep it running properly any more. The damage is done.

I have many bitcoins stucked there, and only a small percentage was refunded.
I was exchanging Doge coin to bitcoin and for a much higher price that was that day but i think the price was pumped and the exchange was "hacked" from any of their employee. It's simple impossible to think that the "cold" wallet 7,000BTC+can be hacked, since then i don't trust exchanges.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 10:48:08 PM

I was exchanging Doge coin to bitcoin and for a much higher price that was that day but i think the price was pumped and the exchange was "hacked" from any of their employee. It's simple impossible to think that the "cold" wallet 7,000BTC+can be hacked, since then i don't trust exchanges.

I think they admitted that the CEO's email was hacked and it had the same password as the servers. That's possibly more pathetic than an internal theft.
smith coins

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 10:53:13 PM

I think they admitted that the CEO's email was hacked and it had the same password as the servers. That's possibly more pathetic than an internal theft.

I don't know how their back end server works but it just does not make sense to be stolen 7,100+ bitcoins
Which are worth in millions of dollars, but that was a bad experience. My balance is still on pending hope to be get my money back asap.
bitsat alien

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 05:07:11 PM

Honestly, you should never keep your coins in an exchange. The whole point of Bitcoin is that you don't have to trust anyone with your money.
tech_solutions

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 04:08:27 AM

I totally agree that using exchanges is highly risky, it is much better you use hardware wallet and save everything their where ever you trade save in your desktop wallet. because exchanges can be hacked and then they will not respond and tell that their site is hacked and they cannot help.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: