Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:51:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the upper limit on block time?  (Read 953 times)
mczarnek (OP)

Activity: 527
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 04:10:56 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2015, 04:29:25 AM by mczarnek

Everyone is talking about shorter blocks.. I'd like to make longer blocks.  As long as I can make them while still being secure.

Would making a blockchain that has the difficulty target 1 week be too long for any reason?

I'm thinking that maybe issues with miners getting off and online would cause problems?  Is there someway to use smaller blocks but throw away all of them except for the ones that are one week apart?

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Segwit | Core 0.14 | Masternodes
XEVAN | DK3 | Electrum soon
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
Litebit.eu | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
altcoinex

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

Director - www.cubeform.io

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2015, 04:36:33 AM

There would be so many problems I don't know where to start... Grin

╓╢╬╣╣╖
                                   ┌║██████║∩
                                   ]█████████
                                    ╜██████╝`
                                      ╙╜╜╜`
                                   ╓╥@@@@@@╥╓
         ╓╖@@╖,                 ,@║██████████╢@,                 ,╓@@╖╓
       ╓╢██████╢.              ╓╢███████████████╖               ║╢█████║╓
       ║█████████    ,,╓╓,,   ┌║█████████████████┐   ,,╓╓,,    ]█████████
       └╢██████║` ╓╢║██████╢║∩``╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙╙`»╢╢██████╢║╖  ║███████╜
         "╜╜╜╜` ╖╢█████████╣╜                      └╢██████████@ `╜╜╜╜╜
               ║██████████╜                          ╙╢██████████
              ┌█████████╜                              ╙╢█████████
              └███████╨`                                 ╜████████
               ║████╨╜                                    `╢█████
                ╙╢╣╜                                        └╢█╜
                ,,                                            ,,
             ╓@║██┐                                          ┌██║@╓
            ╢██████                                          ]█████H
           ╢███████∩                                        ┌████████
  ╓@@@@╓   █████████                                        ║████████`  ╓@@@@╖
╓╢██████║. █████████∩                                      ┌█████████ ,║███████╖
██████████ └█████████                                      ██████████ ]█████████
`║██████╜`  └╢████████                                    ┌███████╣╜   ╙██████╨`
  `╙╜╜╙`      `╙╨╢████                                    █████╝╜`       `╙╜╜`
                      ]@╓                              ╓╖H
                      ███╢║@╓,                    ,╓@╢╢███`
                      ████████╢@╖╓.           ╓╖@║████████`
                      ]███████████╢║@╓,  ,╓@╢╢████████████
                       ╙╢█████████████╨` ╜██████████████╜
                         ╙╝╢███████║╜`    `╜║████████╝╜`
                     ,╓@@@╓  `²╙``             `╙²`  ╓@@@╖,
                    ║╢█████╢H                      ╓╢██████H
                    █████████                      █████████`
                    ╙╢██████╜                      ╙╢██████╜
                      └╨╩╝┘                          └╨╩╝╜
WINFLOW.
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 04:39:35 AM

Would making a blockchain that has the difficultly target 1 week be too long for any reason?
Too long for what? For an interplanetary currency with miners as far away as Eris? Sure, one week sounds like a good target. Maybe even two. Call it ten Earth days. The speed-of-light delay would make anything shorter than that infeasible. However, we don't have an interplanetary economy, and nobody here on Earth is willing to wait weeks for confirmations, so I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

I'm thinking that maybe issues with miners getting off and online would cause problems?
No. Why would it?

Is there someway to use smaller blocks but throw away all of them except for the ones that are one week apart?
No. Timestamps can be faked. Only the block hash can determine if a block is valid. This means that you will occasionally get blocks very close together, resulting in orphaned blocks from miners on distant planets. This is unavoidable and happens with Bitcoin, too (except for the part about distant planets, obviously).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
mczarnek (OP)

Activity: 527
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 08:07:48 PM

Would making a blockchain that has the difficultly target 1 week be too long for any reason?
Too long for what? For an interplanetary currency with miners as far away as Eris? Sure, one week sounds like a good target. Maybe even two. Call it ten Earth days. The speed-of-light delay would make anything shorter than that infeasible. However, we don't have an interplanetary economy, and nobody here on Earth is willing to wait weeks for confirmations, so I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.

I'm thinking that maybe issues with miners getting off and online would cause problems?
No. Why would it?

Is there someway to use smaller blocks but throw away all of them except for the ones that are one week apart?
No. Timestamps can be faked. Only the block hash can determine if a block is valid. This means that you will occasionally get blocks very close together, resulting in orphaned blocks from miners on distant planets. This is unavoidable and happens with Bitcoin, too (except for the part about distant planets, obviously).

Trying to make something other than a currency that has a decentralized checkpoint once a week.. I was wondering about fake blocks because it'd be nice if there was not huge variance of a few weeks or even months to find a block sometimes.

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Segwit | Core 0.14 | Masternodes
XEVAN | DK3 | Electrum soon
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
Litebit.eu | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 10:12:06 PM

The rule for stability is that the block time has to be significantly longer than the latency within the network.  A solar system currency with a node on Pluto would have a latency of around 10 hours (Pluto to Neptune).

That means that you would need the block time to be at least 100-200 hours (4 - 8 days).

That could still work, as long as it was only used for planet to planet transfers.  Local currencies would be needed for each planet.

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:01:24 AM

Everyone is talking about shorter blocks.. I'd like to make longer blocks.  As long as I can make them while still being secure.

Would making a blockchain that has the difficulty target 1 week be too long for any reason?

I'm thinking that maybe issues with miners getting off and online would cause problems?  Is there someway to use smaller blocks but throw away all of them except for the ones that are one week apart?

With a long target variability also increases.  Using my rusty stats:
Assuming your hash rate is in steady state and your difficulty is stable you can use the exponential distribution with lambda=1/7 (7 days)
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_distribution

We can work out using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_distribution#Quantiles that:
99% of your blocks would be found within 32.2 days.  Which means 1 in 100 blocks will take longer than that.

If your use case is not constrained by latency you should probably check that your 99% block time is acceptable.  

In in bitcoins case using lambda =1 / 10 minutes we get 99% of blocks to be found in 46mins. Someone should check my stats though.  I'm rusty.

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 11:13:17 AM

Transactions would be stored in the mempool for that week, which means a node would have to store lots and lots of transactions temporarily. It would be messy!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: