Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:40:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU mining?  (Read 3032 times)
hotwired007 (OP)

Activity: 585
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 11:50:23 AM

Any advice on a good alt-coin for CPU only mining?

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Anything done or said in this period wasnt me.
Many thanks to Cyrus for his help restoring access to my account.
sirslayer

Activity: 540
Merit: 501

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 11:59:07 AM

any alt coin with a low difficulty!!! im suprised my cpu can still mine on cex.io but with a setting of the difficult @ 8 or 16
young3dvard

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 12:06:56 PM

It is very hard to mine with CPU no matter its an alt coin or not . however.  some coins name i found while searching on web are .
1: MemoryCoin
2 : Jackpot coin
3: quazar coin
4: XMR (was good for CPU until the GPU miner came out)

It is also depended on your CPU .. INTEL or Amd ?
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 12:11:30 PM

or if you want to do it the lazy way .. pools like ispace.co.uk have a port address for random low diff coins it switches now and then and even with a cpu some coins were mined came out in the 1000's   
FallingKnife
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1076

keybase.io/fallingknife/

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2015, 08:59:32 PM

Memorycoin was fun for awhile, but never profitable for me.  CPU mining is too inefficient, imo. Who wants to burn out a cpu on an unprofitable coin, when there are plenty of unprofitable sha coins that can be mined on cheap usb block erupters.

Nostr:
npub14wk4hrq6atlq020c7r6eyylpu9gjukyqzafzxu6u80unqfrplq9qhtx8sy
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1088

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 09:11:50 PM

CPU mining is too inefficient, imo.

What does that even mean?

I can imagine that a specific cpu-implementation of a specific PoW is inefficient, in that it could achieve the same solution rate with significantly less cpu-resources, but how can the concept of cpu mining in general be inefficient?
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 09:27:24 PM

its inefficient as in the electric usage vs profit making...  more power to pay means your profit goes down, unless its free electricity..  but otherwise cpu mining can be done with alt coins with low difficulty settings
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1088

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 10:27:18 PM

its inefficient as in the electric usage vs profit making...  more power to pay means your profit goes down, unless its free electricity..  but otherwise cpu mining can be done with alt coins with low difficulty settings

So you're saying cpu-mining is "inefficient" at converting electricity into profit.
Well, sure, but so is mining on commodity hardware in general, including gpus.

That is the economic reality of many people able and willing to mine at a minor loss
(or illusion of profit by considering their electricity free).

On the other hand, commodity-mining, mining at a loss on commodity hardware,
could be "efficient" at converting electricity into decentralization, since miners are more diverse and more likely to solo- or p2pool-mine.
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 11:59:10 PM

Tromp , youre very correct and I would also add in a given time that the hardware electrical consumption will lessen with proper coding (software or cpu) and low power processing (hadware asic) will try to out race each other..  and as in today the hardware asic is winning the race with better efficiency in electric usage.. but imo the gpu might win the race as software and hardware advancements are usually designed together like for example (nvidia gt700 is the hardware / cuda is the software ) Low power with higher gflops units are just over the horizon.
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 12:03:57 AM

What you are all failing to grasp is that PoW is dead and PoS or similar scheme is the way of the future. You will never get BTC or LTC adopted with the amount of global pollution produced to secure the blockchain. That shit is coming to an ugly end.

Only low cost/low energy blockchain solutions are worth talking about, otherwise you are trying to jb weld the titanic back together.

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 12:25:59 AM

I tried CPU mining some alts for testing. Some alts have a very fast block time. New blocks are found using GPU in minutes before my CPU can find a hash. So CPU mining is not very feasible.
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 05:40:33 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2015, 08:03:09 AM by Lorenzo

Surprising to see that this link hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.cpucoinlist.com/

Go to the column on the side labeled "GPU Advantage". Different algorithms work best with different hardware and certain algorithms might work better on different brands of the same hardware class (e.g. AMD vs. Nvidia). Some, such as SHA-256 and scrypt are now dominated by ASICs. Others like X11 are dominated by GPUs and FPGAs. These categories are fluid and always changing, so it helps to stay up with the latest news. For example, Primecoin was one of the altcoins that was able to hold the front for no GPU miners for quite some time until GPU miners were finally released for it last year.

Looking at that list, the Cryptonote coins can still be mined with CPUs. Riecoin too. Of course, these coins can then be converted into any altcoins of your choosing via an exchange.
MaxDZ8

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 06:06:20 AM

This list has not been updated in a while (possibly years).

Wild Keccak has a GPU miner; the advantage is known. There are rumors of a particularly performing GPU miner.
X11 is well known to have private elite kernels which can be easily 2-4x more efficient than public.
Groestl2... there was some turmoil with GRS some months ago... I'm not sure this is worth considering.
JHA remains in the realm of "CPU" coins because nobody taken care of resolving the borderline trivial "complications" they introduced.
Cryptonight is known to have private implementations.

Let's say the others are fine.

Still no BSTY, which is the only coin using a true CPU-oriented hashing system designed from a well-known expert (yescrypt by Solar Designer).
Lorenzo

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 08:54:54 AM

This list has not been updated in a while (possibly years).

Wild Keccak has a GPU miner; the advantage is known. There are rumors of a particularly performing GPU miner.
X11 is well known to have private elite kernels which can be easily 2-4x more efficient than public.
Groestl2... there was some turmoil with GRS some months ago... I'm not sure this is worth considering.
JHA remains in the realm of "CPU" coins because nobody taken care of resolving the borderline trivial "complications" they introduced.
Cryptonight is known to have private implementations.

Let's say the others are fine.

Still no BSTY, which is the only coin using a true CPU-oriented hashing system designed from a well-known expert (yescrypt by Solar Designer).

Hmm... You're right. It looks like it hasn't been updated since August 2014 judging by their latest blog post:

http://cpucoinlist.com/big-clean/

I could see that Primecoin was once listed but was removed so I assumed it was updated pretty frequently.

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like Primecoin was delisted earlier than I thought:

The results are in: The GPU Advantage of Primecoin is 51. That means a current GPU (Radeon R9 280x) has a hash rate that is 51 times the hash rate of a current CPU (AMD FX-8320).

Link: http://cpucoinlist.com/primecoin-eliminated/
Bizmark13

Activity: 462

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 09:01:11 AM

It is also depended on your CPU .. INTEL or Amd ?

Which one is better for mining? Assuming that they could be used, I would assume the answer is AMD since they have those snazzy APUs which Intel lacks?
MaxDZ8

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 10:01:57 AM

Wrong. CPU is CPU. APU is CPU+GPU.
To saturate APU you need both a CPU and a GPU coin running on it. It does not accelerate "magically".
Bizmark13

Activity: 462

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
April 25, 2015, 10:38:02 AM

Wrong. CPU is CPU. APU is CPU+GPU.
To saturate APU you need both a CPU and a GPU coin running on it. It does not accelerate "magically".

Ah, that makes sense. Sometimes I forget that they are really just tiny integrated GPUs mostly separate from the rest of the CPU (despite living on the same die).
hotwired007 (OP)

Activity: 585

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:24:07 AM

CPU is 24x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz on a VPS.

Currently mining x11 on a multipool getting 0.95 MH/s

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Anything done or said in this period wasnt me.
Many thanks to Cyrus for his help restoring access to my account.
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 09:41:49 AM

My Dell 2950 2 x Xeon @ 1.8 gets around .75 mhs. half the hashing power compared to the ati 5850 in the same machine @ 1.5 mhs
GreydonIselmoe

Activity: 294

Credits [CRE] - Community Manager

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2015, 08:43:08 PM

I'm kind of biased, but I recommend CRE. Low diff, early adoption still. Hasn't even hit an exchange (as of today)

████████  The next evolutionary step in crypto-currency | Sidechain technology - Claimable - sha256   ███████
████████████████  C R E D I T S - [C R E]  ███████████████
◥ Proof of Work / Proof of Deposit mining system ◥ Official Website ◥ Bitcointalk Thread ◥ Exchange
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: