Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:37:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there an influence of the Mt. Gox payout on the markets?  (Read 1945 times)
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2015, 12:00:54 PM

If I can get my bitcoin paid back at $483, then I will take the cash please!
Why would anyone want a $235 bitcoin refund when they can get $483 per bitcoin refund?

I'll take the cash and buy twice the amount of Bitcoin, that'll do me nicely!

Thats not how it works. I asked the same question and got this answer.

The chances to get something back are very good, provided that 1) you establish your claim and 2) your claim amount isn't really small (for claims below JPY1,000, the trustee has said that you will still get the payout, but you might have to come pick up your money - not practical for most people).

We don't know the percentage and it will depend on undetermined factors, such as how many people decide to make their claim. Some have speculated that it might be around 20% based on some public information, but it isn't certain.

All currencies including BTC will be considered in terms of their value in JPY when MtGox went bankrupt. These values will be used to determine your pro rata share of the total remaining assets. If you request a payout in BTC, the amount of BTC you receive would be your pro rata share of JPY converted to BTC at the current market rates.

I quoted all the answer since the other info is noteworthy too. But they all calculate in JPY, if you chose bitcoins then you will get the amount of bitcoins you could buy at the current market price for the amount of JPY.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:26:40 PM

Why would anyone want a $235 bitcoin refund when they can get $483 per bitcoin refund?

The chances to get something back are very good, provided that 1) you establish your claim and 2) your claim amount isn't really small (for claims below JPY1,000, the trustee has said that you will still get the payout, but you might have to come pick up your money - not practical for most people).

We don't know the percentage and it will depend on undetermined factors, such as how many people decide to make their claim. Some have speculated that it might be around 20% based on some public information, but it isn't certain.

All currencies including BTC will be considered in terms of their value in JPY when MtGox went bankrupt. These values will be used to determine your pro rata share of the total remaining assets. If you request a payout in BTC, the amount of BTC you receive would be your pro rata share of JPY converted to BTC at the current market rates.

I quoted all the answer since the other info is noteworthy too. But they all calculate in JPY, if you chose bitcoins then you will get the amount of bitcoins you could buy at the current market price for the amount of JPY.

So basically for people only having FIAT money in Gox, the best thing would be if they actually used today's BTC prices. That way the amount all the holders of BTC get gets smaller compared to the prices at Gox's downfall. But I do understand that the way they're doing it makes most sense and is the one complying with the regulations.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:29:06 PM

Where is all the usd coming from that they intend to refund? Almost all assets are btc?
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:33:40 PM

Where is all the usd coming from that they intend to refund? Almost all assets are btc?

Why would there be a preference for USD over BTC?

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:17:32 PM

Well the assets themselves comprise all the assets gox still has (or had, at the time when the bankruptcy occurred). I also believe that most of those assets will be BTC that we're kept in some wallets gox's system forgot about. Good thing their system was working that bad so now we still have some assets to distribute Wink

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2015, 12:19:40 PM

So basically for people only having FIAT money in Gox, the best thing would be if they actually used today's BTC prices. That way the amount all the holders of BTC get gets smaller compared to the prices at Gox's downfall. But I do understand that the way they're doing it makes most sense and is the one complying with the regulations.

I understand it another way. All btc will be calculated to fiat for the price of bitcoin when mtgox went down. Then, if you want get btc out, your fiat will be paid out in btc for the price of btc at the time it gets paid out. So no losing, in fact winning in amount of btc when you have btc in it because the bitcoin price is lower now than when mtgox went down.

Am i wrong?

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
8up (OP)

Activity: 618

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 03:09:23 PM

No. See OP. Smiley This is why I am hoping for even lower prices.

Always wrong until not.
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 08:19:41 PM

Well regardless of this insight this is out of our control.

Just focus on whats in your control, and see what you can do for price spikes. Whales supressing price and all the rich stuff, cant do much about unless you are one of them and decide to say its morally wrong which I doubt most whales would say.
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
April 27, 2015, 10:54:21 PM

Well regardless of this insight this is out of our control.

Just focus on whats in your control, and see what you can do for price spikes. Whales supressing price and all the rich stuff, cant do much about unless you are one of them and decide to say its morally wrong which I doubt most whales would say.

I agree that this is mostly out of our control, especially for people who aren't/weren't heavily invested in Gox. On the other hand, it could actually matter when filing your claims. I believe you can (at least) specify what your preferred method of receiving your claims is. In this case it can make quite a difference of how much you receive, especially concerning the way coins are being distributed.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: