Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:15:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should Satoshi's coins be deleted?
yes - 20 (15.7%)
no - 107 (84.3%)
Total Voters: 127

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Satoshi's coins be deleted?  (Read 5152 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:01:54 PM

I think yes, a 21% instamine is ridiculous. It gives a bad name to BTC.

I would want to give them to Mark Zuckerberg and have him distribute them on facebook.

No coins earned/worked for by our inventor/s should be dictated what should be done with them by anyone except them lol We are nobody's in the scheme of things it was created to help us all climb out from under the banks control and be our own bank plus a whole brilliant things and you want to repay that buy deleting his/their coins?!

Come on dude that is what is ridiculous like your grasp on how many and how the coins was acquired he worked for them as did every other miner, should we delete them all  Cheesy   

It would be awesome for you to give the coins to that zuckerberg because you would not be losing much by everyone of the distributed coins getting dumped on our face and crash the price more than we can ever imagine.

Even better. Let's take the coins owned by the Winklevoss twins and give them to Mark Zukerberg! lol

Damn, F-ed again!  Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
fartbags (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:07:04 PM

I think yes, a 21% instamine is ridiculous. It gives a bad name to BTC.

I would want to give them to Mark Zuckerberg and have him distribute them on facebook.

No coins earned/worked for by our inventor/s should be dictated what should be done with them by anyone except them lol We are nobody's in the scheme of things it was created to help us all climb out from under the banks control and be our own bank plus a whole brilliant things and you want to repay that buy deleting his/their coins?!

Come on dude that is what is ridiculous like your grasp on how many and how the coins was acquired he worked for them as did every other miner, should we delete them all  Cheesy   

It would be awesome for you to give the coins to that zuckerberg because you would not be losing much by everyone of the distributed coins getting dumped on our face and crash the price more than we can ever imagine.

Even better. Let's take the coins owned by the Winklevoss twins and give them to Mark Zukerberg! lol

Damn, F-ed again!  Cheesy

LOL that's funny.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:19:41 PM

I don't mind Satoshi his coins at all, he deserves them in full if he really happens to have that many coins. Deleting coins/value is never a good idea.

I'm also pretty sure that these coins won't move as he had the chance to sell his coins at the +$1000 peak if he wanted to. Coins will sleep for ever.

ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:26:06 PM

Why should satoshis coins be deleted? He is the founder of bitcoin. Without him, we all wouldnt be here at this forum. Dont you think he should at least get a reward for it?!

Well it is up to every miner and everyone who is running a full node to decide whether coins should be deleted or not. I think such a precedent would be something very very bad to BTC since it would destroy the fungibility of the underlying asset. No one could be sure that their coins wouldn't be the next to be deleted.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:31:37 PM

For the record, these are thought to be coins under the control of Satoshi. Since they have never moved after they were mined, It is quite possible that these are now inaccessible.

Probably he freezed them on purpose. I can imagine him being a man of higher morals and thinking "well, a single entity doesn't need to be in control of this ridiculous amounts of coins" and forgot the password to freeze them forever and help the overall scarcity factor.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:39:14 PM

I kept looking at the OP's poll, and the only available answers were 'yes' and 'no'. 

Can we edit the poll to add a 'That's a Stupid Question' button?

minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:50:34 PM

I kept looking at the OP's poll, and the only available answers were 'yes' and 'no'. 

Well, I agree that this is a rather stupid question, but I think it would be a wise thing to do to explain to him why it really doesn't matter whether those coins are still available or not. Also it is very important to understand why this really wouldn't hurt Bitcoin by undermining one of it's key principles.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 11:58:03 PM

Well, I agree that this is a rather stupid question, but I think it would be a wise thing to do to explain to him why it really doesn't matter whether those coins are still available or not. Also it is very important to understand why this really wouldn't hurt Bitcoin by undermining one of it's key principles.

Central banks hold 1/3 of world's gold reserve, should they destroy them? What if they dump all the gold on market and crash the gold price to cents?

Even central banks decided to dump small amount of gold, they would still do it gradually, to not affect the market price too much

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2015, 01:12:13 PM

No, but i wonder what satoshi can or will do with it. There was a statement from him that one never should delete a wallet, so most probably he hasnt too. So that leaves where will he give the coins to. If he dies and his childs get them there is a chance they will bring bitcoin down. He would never risk this.

So the only other solution would be that he now, after he made this big change, can bring the next big change. Maybe he waits for the price of those coins to rise in order to match his plans.

What i think about are that he can give power to certain groups that he thinks of are worthy to support. Libertarians, humanitarians or something like an organization that could be a worldwide, free and really democratic government. Depending on the amount of worth his bitcoins could be a real power at some point.

Thats the only solution for the coins that i see. He cant risk much there.

Of course that only valid as long as he didnt mine to a bogus address.

Saying that... does anyone believe that the NSA didnt have enough data about all his work to identify him long ago? Even when they only found out about it later, they have huge data storages. So i think its unlikely that the NSA doesnt know who he is.

So it might be that this wealth is in the wrong hands since a long time already. And i dont want to speculate what they will do with it.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2015, 01:19:50 PM

Nope.  Satoshi's coins should not be deleted.

If he never touches or moves them again, they're considered lost coins.  Scarcity is a built in attribute of Bitcoin.  If somehow finally proven lost, BOOM, everyone else's coins gains in value.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
visual111

Activity: 493

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 02:23:24 PM

I think it hampers adoption...no government is going to be cool with a currency where 1 person holds 21%

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

INTRODUCING WAVES
ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM

futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 02:31:42 PM

I think it hampers adoption...no government is going to be cool with a currency where 1 person holds 21%
who holds 21%?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 02:38:31 PM

again it's not 21%, he is holding at best 2M, since when 2M is 21% of 21M? it's not even 10% let alone 21...learn to do math first

anyway i do believe that satoshi's coins should be distributed among 1-2M people, 1 btc each, better if those people are not holding any btc(but it would be hard to prove...)
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2015, 03:00:13 PM

Before we ever thought of that, first thing first can we really identify all the coins that belong to satoshi. Having done that, we can't just ignore or delete part of the blocks that hold the coin. If we can do that, does that mean we can do the same for the rest of the coin if the need calls for? And again how is that even possible? These are things we need to consider before we engage  this discussion.

Pentax

Activity: 700

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 03:04:45 PM

Sure, cause nothing says thank you for such a kick ass invention like 'fuck you'

that's fucking absurd.
bandana

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 04:57:03 PM

well before ansering your question let me ask you that can you edit the codes or can you edit a satoshi coin...or anyone can?.
I won't think anyone can.so , when anyone cannot edit it so how can amyone can delete(exiclute) it
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:07:52 PM

Lol, Bitcoin fungibility = Fail, thats why i trust Monero more
BitBlitz

Activity: 285

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:10:28 PM

If you feel compelled to ask such a stupid question, you don't understand Bitcoin...

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:44:59 PM

Central banks hold 1/3 of world's gold reserve, should they destroy them? What if they dump all the gold on market and crash the gold price to cents?

Even central banks decided to dump small amount of gold, they would still do it gradually, to not affect the market price too much

If Satoshi even moved a single BTC, everyone would then know that he really still controlled his coins(!) That would potentially cause quite a panic since we couldn't be sure that he isn't dumping all his coins using the nearest exchange. Also, it might reveal his identity or at least confirm he's still active!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
ipbo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:14:01 PM

No,It's a part of a history and can be deleted. I don't If satoshi, how he will delete all bitcoins in an instance?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: