Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:22:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think we'll look back on bitcoin and think that it grew amazingly fast?  (Read 3440 times)
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2015, 07:06:28 PM

Right now, it seems like bitcoin is moving slowly. Winklevoss ETF is in regulatory hell. GBTC sits there (not trading) with <100 BTC in bids. Still few places in your average city where you can use bitcoin. Remittances are not really catching on as fast as we thought.

But in reality, bitcoin in 2013 was 100% amateur bullshit. Alpaca socks, Mark Karpeles, friedcat, and DPR.

It's really hard for me to decide whether we're moving fast or slow.

i love you dude  Grin - very wise words.

in my view we are moving fast and i love to watch it.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 08:54:57 PM

In my opinion, the technology is moving fast but the acceptance of Bitcoin and cryptocoin in common stuck. I guess it needs a new good reason for most people to think about an alternative like a new financial crisis.

I don't think the acceptance of Bitcoin is stuck. It's a new kind of technology with the potential to change the current financial system.

Acceptance and adoption will take time. At this point several fiat currencies are heaving severe problems, that will make people search for alternatives.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:04:09 PM

I believe we're moving quite fast, even though it's clear that facebook grew faster.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:56:35 PM

I believe it really depends on where we are going right now. Is this whole thing fizzles out we will see it as a spectacular experiment which went wrong in the end. Nevertheless it will be a very interesting thing having been part of this all. If we continue to go up though, I believe the rise will look quite spectacular in retrospect.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 11:41:00 PM

IMO, the major waves of bubble are always planned and driven by institutional traders, now after MTGOX went down, and chinese exchanges heavily restricted, where should these whales drive the next wave? Bitfinex might be the right place to look at, but they are still too young to facilitate a 100x speculative bubble

uininPeter

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 01:36:33 AM

I had heard about the metoric rise of bitcoin, and then some time later I got into bitcoin. I had thought the meteroic rise was years back, but when i checked thegraphs, it was only a year, and it was worth 5$ only a year before that. I think we are moving incredibly fast.

fryarminer

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 02:56:15 AM

Considering that we are changing the concept of currency and commerce as ingrained and known to man for centuries, I'd say Bitcoin is moving very fast.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:38:19 AM

I don't need to look back further than the last 4-5 years to know it's grown insanely fast. It seems like yesterday that Roger Ver had the only brick n mortar store in the world that accepted Bitcoin and I was mining 20-25 coins a day with only GPUs. Now I can walk around the city and spend my coin at a bunch of places and you need warehouses full of special equipment to mine any substantial amount of Bitcoin. We've gone from a handful of nerds playing with a new technology to a world full of (almost) normal people using it to buy real products online and in stores. I remember being so excited when Jeremy (from SpendBitcoins) started selling Amazon gift cards. I remember showing my wife my first Amazon purchase for Bitcoin and proving to her it was real money. Before that she wanted to have me committed for turning our garage into, as she called it, a box fan and video card storage room. lol If you told me overstock.com and Microsoft would accept Bitcoin 4 years ago I would have thought you were nuts. It's been crazy fast.

BIT-Sharon

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 05:50:33 AM

Altcoins have potentials, NXT is one of the ones .
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 06:54:11 AM

Altcoins have potentials, NXT is one of the ones .

Isn't NXT pre-mined? I agree with you about altcoins, the altcoin market could boom in the next 5 years but beware of scams.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
Anirban Sarkar

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 07:11:26 AM

yes it will growing very fast and in coming days it will be acepted by many peoples !!
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 08:22:38 AM

These 2 charts always seem to put my mind more at ease and put things in perspective:

Just a matter of time...

Those figures could be manipulated, peter todd once mentioned this.  However i would be confident the network is growing in all areas, it doesnt take charts to know this.  The only thing which is slow atm is the price.
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 08:24:46 AM

I believe we're moving quite fast, even though it's clear that facebook grew faster.

The growth of facebook will slow, but bitcoin will continue to grow for many years.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 08:47:58 AM

The growth of facebook will slow, but bitcoin will continue to grow for many years.

In fairness the growth of facebook has to slow, unless they want everyone in the world to have multiple accounts!
Bitcoin has a higher potential market than facebook, but is way way behind in terms of growth, but then I use facebook more often than I use Bitcoin, and I am probably a big bitcoin user (I use it whenever I can, within reason)

When bitcoin is accepted in more places, then it will have a tipping point when more people will start using it.  Much like facebook, if your friends are all on facebook and you are on myspace, you will move to facebook.
Mr Tea

Activity: 270

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 08:51:29 AM

I think it has grown pretty fast, though we have seen some stagnation recently. I think we will see spurts of growth over the next couple of years but what we really need is some huge industries to get involved like the remittance market or gambling and sex/adult service industries. Those would likely accelerate bitcoin's growth rapidly.

minerpumpkin

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 11:01:52 AM

Right now, it seems like bitcoin is moving slowly. Winklevoss ETF is in regulatory hell. GBTC sits there (not trading) with <100 BTC in bids. Still few places in your average city where you can use bitcoin. Remittances are not really catching on as fast as we thought.

But in reality, bitcoin in 2013 was 100% amateur bullshit. Alpaca socks, Mark Karpeles, friedcat, and DPR.

i love you dude  Grin - very wise words.

in my view we are moving fast and i love to watch it.

Yeah, that's a very good analysis. It's a very sad thing though to read our beloved cat's name in that list. I do believe though that many of those projects and companies were very good in their days, and right now we just need some time to transit over to the big money and regulations.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Poolie

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 12:45:37 PM

In fairness the growth of facebook has to slow, unless they want everyone in the world to have multiple accounts!
Bitcoin has a higher potential market than facebook, but is way way behind in terms of growth, but then I use facebook more often than I use Bitcoin, and I am probably a big bitcoin user (I use it whenever I can, within reason)

When bitcoin is accepted in more places, then it will have a tipping point when more people will start using it.  Much like facebook, if your friends are all on facebook and you are on myspace, you will move to facebook.

Theoretically is has a bigger market as nearly everyone on the planet uses cash as opposed to social networks but to be honest most of the world these days already has a Facebook so I think social networks will likely remain bigger than bitcoin.
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 01:48:44 PM

Theoretically is has a bigger market as nearly everyone on the planet uses cash as opposed to social networks but to be honest most of the world these days already has a Facebook so I think social networks will likely remain bigger than bitcoin.

The theoretical market capitalization of Bitcoin after mainstream update is on the trillions, as stated by the Winklevii, it makes sense to think so since BTC aims to defeat all existing money transfer methods combined.
BTC_Superman

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:35:25 PM

Yes, it is growing very fast and I am surprised to see this.
louise123

Activity: 462

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 01:48:46 PM

Bitcoin is only Six years old.
Taking that into consideration I wouldn't say it's moving fast.
I would say it's ahead of it's time  Wink

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
             ▄███▌ █
            ▀▀▀██▄  █
          ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
         █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
        ▄██ ███▄    █
       ▐███▀   ▀█   █
       ████     █   █
      ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
      ▀▄▄███▌      █
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
              █  ▄▀
              ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
 ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
  ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄ ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
   ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
  ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
    ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
    ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████ ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
    █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
    ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                               ▄█████
                                                                           ▄███████▀
                                                                           ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███