Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:02:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What company will produce ASIC equipment first?
ASICMiner - 25 (38.5%)
BFL - 38 (58.5%)
Other (specify below) - 2 (3.1%)
Total Voters: 65

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Poll]First ASIC to mine?  (Read 1580 times)
puffn (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 09:23:03 PM

BFL says they will ship in October. ASICMiner is locking in capital. Who do you think will start mining first? ASICMiner, or BFL customers?

Looking for safe diversification? YABIF: Good Returns, Low Fees, Low Risk.

GLBSE
Bitcointalk Page

I hold significant interest in
Bitcoin Mining Investments
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
puffn (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 09:30:07 PM

I know ASICMiner won't sell equipment until BFL releases theirs. At that point, they will collude through pricing to form a duopoly until a third company provides equipment. I think BFL will have a slight advantage in timing to get to market. I think they have more expertise in selling, and shiping, as well as quality control in place. ASICMiner will essentially be the AMD to BFL's Intel.

GLBSE
Bitcointalk Page

rxw

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 09:59:53 AM

I know ASICMiner won't sell equipment until BFL releases theirs. At that point, they will collude through pricing to form a duopoly until a third company provides equipment. I think BFL will have a slight advantage in timing to get to market. I think they have more expertise in selling, and shiping, as well as quality control in place. ASICMiner will essentially be the AMD to BFL's Intel.

source?
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 10:20:24 AM

You're making too many assumptions. Both companies write their business plan as they go. The difference is BFL is private, while ASICMiner is shareholder based. Comparing them to AMD and Intel is a fallacy - but I am curios - why would you have that perception?

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Blank

Activity: 43

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 10:40:15 AM

I believe BFL will be the first to make a working ASIC, however they need to polish the product and get it ready for mass shipping across the globe. That will take a considerable amount of time and effort, i think during that time ASICMINER (Bitfountain) will have built their ASIC's and started to self mine.

So i think by the time a decent amount of people have received their BLF SC's bitfountain will also be mining, maybe the first batch from BFL could have a week or so head start.

Honestly if my prediction is true it will probably be a good thing for the economy rather than one company "winning" they will both be competitive and profitable for themselves, investors and customers.
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2012, 10:42:34 AM

I'd expect blockerupter (asicminer) to be first to start mining. BFL has a bad reputation of being over optimistic with it's first numbers they release, which applies to how long it takes them to put any product together and get it shipped. They also opted for a more complicated and harder to manufacture design process (they must of to make their numbers possible) so it's understandable that it might take longer for BFL to get it done in the time scale they set for themselves.

ASICminer and BFL both will be doing a burn in period for testing, BFL already do it with their products and ASICminer says they be doing it for testing also. So it kinda cancels out when paying customers will get their hands on it. The only theoretical advantage BFL has is that being US based, they will be a bit nearer to the majority of their market base, but past experiences showed that has not really applied yet.

This competition is good for bitcoin, it be nice to take BFL down a notch. I'd hoped it be done by Enterpoint (uk based), but they've not stepped up to that plate yet.

puffn (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 06:42:14 PM

source?

ASICMiner has said that they will be self mining to recoup costs with first batches. They will have no real incentive to release products until they run out of space to mine, or they start to make more money selling than expanding mining. BFL releasing their product will kill ASICMiner's profits from mining.

GLBSE
Bitcointalk Page

rxw

Activity: 49

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 03:48:22 AM

source?

ASICMiner has said that they will be self mining to recoup costs with first batches. They will have no real incentive to release products until they run out of space to mine, or they start to make more money selling than expanding mining. BFL releasing their product will kill ASICMiner's profits from mining.

I believe they stated that they were going to use a fixed amount (12 TH?) for mining initially, as sort of testing phase so their final product is more polished. After they reach that amount, they have no reason not release their product onto the market
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: