Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:45:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HDD crash - wallet recovery  (Read 1556 times)
annoynimous (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:13:14 AM

I think I already know the sad answer...but...I had a bitcoin wallet on a PC and the HDD crashed.  If I cannot locate a backup file, are the bitcoins "lost" or is there some way to recover the coins?

Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:16:05 AM

Describe to me how the hd is acting. Does it spin? Does the os attempt to boot? Etc..

How much was lost?
Parliament

Activity: 52

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:18:57 AM

What exactly do you mean by "the HDD crashed"?

If the HDD isn't booting, you can always try booting from a live CD and trying to find the file.

If it's actually dead, depending on how much money you had in your wallet, you could try a data recovery service.
annoynimous (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:55:45 AM

I see what you mean by mounting/recovering using a utility.  I understand.  I just read the Bitcoin Wiki and saw some good information on what to do and how to protect/backup the wallet.

I didn't have many coins - I bought some just to see how the thing worked.  I bought ~100 coins.  I will search that HDD for the wallet.dat file and see if I can recover the file and then use the wiki instructions to import into a new wallet.

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 03:17:12 AM

whatever you do.. do not write to the darn thing. pull it out and stop using it until you are ready to add it as a second HD to another
PC.

100 btc is a lot of money.

i recover hd data all the time and rarely do i fail. but sometimes it can be impossible for me or so time consuming that i only go the extra
mile for family or work.
Parliament

Activity: 52

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 03:41:25 AM

I bought ~100 coins.

100 BTC ~= $1000 USD. Are you sure you aren't adding too many zeros there?

Best of luck.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 05:16:50 AM

whatever you do.. do not write to the darn thing. pull it out and stop using it until you are ready to add it as a second HD to another
PC.

i recover hd data all the time and rarely do i fail. but sometimes it can be impossible for me or so time consuming that i only go the extra
mile for family or work.

+1 to this advice  Wink

Then copy your wallet.dat file to a flash drive & put in a fire/water proof safe.I have 4 FD's put up with all my wallets on them in different locations (safes).

One is bound to survive a hurricane,breakin,or fire  Wink

Good luck bro  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Gerco

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 05:59:19 AM

You may try Spinrite. It's not magic but I've seen it work the odd miracle on a "dead" drive often enough that it's usually the first thing I try when faced with a non-booting drive.

It's $89, but the guy has a money-back guarantee that he honors without questions so if it doesn't work for you, you didn't lose anything. If it works and saves your 100 BTC, it'll be well worth the money.

Slightly off-topic:
I'm backing up my encrypted wallet on dropbox, but I don't really trust them with my money. Is an encrypted wallet (default encryption with password in Satoshi client) safe enough to put on Dropbox or should I really add another layer of encryption, like Truecrypt?

OTC: gercod | Tip jar: 1KNxsZNsGf8RXbnjtiJN84kYVejSeK4bD8 | GPG Key: 8DA261EC572065FD
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 06:19:47 AM

I'm backing up my encrypted wallet on dropbox, but I don't really trust them with my money. Is an encrypted wallet (default encryption with password in Satoshi client) safe enough to put on Dropbox or should I really add another layer of encryption, like Truecrypt?

Wallet encryption usess AES-256 in CBC mode, which is safe, but remember that only the private keys are encrypted. Everything else, such as your balance, addresses, address book, transactions, etc. is completely unprotected, so you definitely want another layer of encryption if you're concerned about privacy. The default encryption is only designed to stop people from stealing your money, nothing else.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 09:25:06 AM

- http://gary-rowe.com/agilestack/2012/08/17/how-to-recover-your-bitcoins-from-a-failed-hard-drive/
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25091.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 01:21:43 PM

PC.

mile for family or work.

+1 to this advice  Wink

Then copy your wallet.dat file to a flash drive & put in a fire/water proof safe.I have 4 FD's put up with all my wallets on them in different locations (safes).

One is bound to survive a hurricane,breakin,or fire  Wink

Good luck bro  Cool

I would make sure that those safes are in really different places, meaning different buildings, and hopefully different watersheds.

Most fire safes are designed for paper.  There are some that are "media rated", but that means "magnetic media", meaning they'll keep the items inside below the Curie point of most magnetic storage (tapes and hard drives).  I certainly haven't ever seen any that are "Flash Memory"-rated, and I'm not sure if such a thing even exists.

Personally, I generated a bunch of keys offline, encrypted them, burned them to M*Disc DVDs and printed the addresses (on paper) so that I could send to them.  I think that if my home, my bank, and my office (40 miles away) all burn down, I'll have more pressing problems to deal with.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: