Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:36:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling phsyical bitcoins  (Read 1832 times)
WorldOfBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:15:39 AM

If some one could point me to a thread talking about this i'm sure its come up in here.

I'm looking to start selling bitcoins. Printing them up on paper throwing some cool logos on it and educating people.

Do I need to pay a sales tax? report sales ext.

what would it take to sell bitcoin cards right next to the prepaid credit cards at a 7/11?
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
live627

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:46:36 AM

Hmm, paper coins? Wouldn't that defeat anonymity, a prime feature of bitcoin?
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:49:47 AM

This had been brought up hundreds of times before. There are Cas coins, those aren't paper, but they are physical Bitcoins with a very nice design/system. Then there were BitBills which were preloaded Bitcoins onto pieces of paper that you could use, then there were 10 offshoots of Bitbills, and there are also various Bitcoin checks.

If you are talking about Bitcoin preloaded "gift cards" like you see in 7-11, that has not been done yet, and you do not need to pay tax on them. 1. They are bitcoins, 2. they aren't real. You don't have to pay taxes on any giftcards you buy at that as well.
WorldOfBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 02:57:37 AM

Hmm, paper coins? Wouldn't that defeat anonymity, a prime feature of bitcoin?

In order for bitcoin to get mainstream people need an easy "anonymous" way to get coins. Bittinstant is a good, but you limited to banking hours. And its a little sketch dumping money into an account that not your own and really you have to trust them to payout.

Im thinking hey I heard about bitcoin. Go to 7/11 buy 100$bitcoin card and then im online using bitcoin.

No mt gox requiring photo id dwolla hold outs ext.
WorldOfBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 03:02:19 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2012, 06:18:50 AM by WorldOfBitcoin

This had been brought up hundreds of times before. There are Cas coins, those aren't paper, but they are physical Bitcoins with a very nice design/system. Then there were BitBills which were preloaded Bitcoins onto pieces of paper that you could use, then there were 10 offshoots of Bitbills, and there are also various Bitcoin checks.

If you are talking about Bitcoin preloaded "gift cards" like you see in 7-11, that has not been done yet, and you do not need to pay tax on them. 1. They are bitcoins, 2. they aren't real. You don't have to pay taxes on any giftcards you buy at that as well.

Cassius bitcoins are great! cool looking ext love em. But 1.60BTC for 1BTC not practical. saw other peoples paper bills ext. if you could link an legal thread on selling them that would be great.

its interesting that they don't need sales tax. Is it because its currency fixed amount? like a 50 gift card is sold for 50. What is you tried to sell a 50$ gift card for 55? When do I get into trouble "counterfitting" us currency? can I mark them 1usd 5usd 100usd ext on the bill? If one were to sell them for more then face value? Reminds me of a some one who sold silver like that. He made a lot of money but ended up in jail. How does bitcoin compare?

Don't want to end up a domestic terrorist like this guy http://www.fbi.gov/charlotte/press-releases/2011/defendant-convicted-of-minting-his-own-currency

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 04:28:44 PM

He was convicted because what he made too closely resembled US currency (used the $ sign, included the name dollar, had a motto very simmilar to the US "In god we trust", simmilar size to US coins, etc). If you make a credit card/gift card sized plastic card (like a bitbill) with 1 Bitcoin clearly marked on it, they would have to work much harder to convince anybody you were conterfeiting US currency.

What ever happened to bitbills? Does anybody still have some lying around?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 04:55:02 PM

He was convicted because what he made too closely resembled US currency (used the $ sign, included the name dollar, had a motto very simmilar to the US "In god we trust", simmilar size to US coins, etc). If you make a credit card/gift card sized plastic card (like a bitbill) with 1 Bitcoin clearly marked on it, they would have to work much harder to convince anybody you were conterfeiting US currency.

What ever happened to bitbills? Does anybody still have some lying around?

Last time I saw Bruce Wagner he had a whole fistful of them and seemed willing to sell them.  That was in January at CES.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 05:08:17 PM

Do I need to pay a sales tax? report sales ext.

For your own financial health you may want to consider discussing this matter with a tax professional familiar with the tax laws in your jurisdiction.  Taking tax advice on such a matter from random people willing to comment in your thread on a discussion forum seems like it might be a good way to get yourself into a bit of trouble with the tax collector.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: